SailNet Community banner

381 - 400 of 585 Posts

·
11,777 Posts
I use SailFlow

I’ll will be passing you at some point
Chances are on Sunday

We leave Friday but weather looks rainy so may only go to Rhode River.
Winds look very light Friday through Tuesday So you’ll be motoring a lot.

We are headed south and up the Potomac for the first few days of our 17 day trip

Saturday night- Mill Creek Solomon’s
Sunday / Monday night- 2nd choice Jutland Creek off of Smith Creek just past the St Mary’s River
1st choice is Breton Bay next to St Clements Bay anchoring near Leonardtown
Tuesday/ Wednesday - either place we don’t go Sunday / Monday
Thursday/ Friday- Ingram Bay off Mill Creek below Reedsville and far enough away to avoid the FISH smell

These are rough approx and thereafter are flexible. May go over to Ononcock a favorite of ours on Eastern Shore.
Doubt we are going further south as Yorktown/ Jamestown closed.
We are staying small as don’t want to find any crowds.

Probably do Solomon’s Spring Cove for a couple days in a marina. San Domingo Creek for st Micheals

Look for us on the hour on VHF 16/68 if you want. Halee...ak....ula 😃

Good luck on your sworie ....fair winds

·
H34 'Spirit'
77 Posts
Yeah, I think the winds'll be pretty light. Looks like they might be from the NW most of the time which means we might be able to motorsail at least. Hoping they veer to the east in time for our Tuesday trip up the Bay. Tuesday looks better for wind strength on the Bay too.

I agree with your ideas about Jutland Creek and/or Breton Bay. Jutland is where we were planning for Sunday night if we make really good time (doubtful). Do you think Breton Bay is a better choice than Lower Machodoc Creek (Coles Neck) across the river? If so, we might choose that instead for our "medium pace" plan. We might run into you in one of those anchorages! That'd be fun. We'll be on ch. 16 - SV Spirit, large dark blue bimini, no dodger.

·
Administrator
8,999 Posts
The weekend before this one I was finally able in a first daysail. It was honking out there. I went out with a reef thinking that I wanted to take it easy. We sailed down into Annapolis Harbor, buzzed the tourists and came back home. It felt great to have the wind in my hair and a helm in my hand.

This weekend I was able to get out for the first overnight cruise since November. Again we took it easy, just a quick sail down to West River. Saturday was lovely, plenty of breeze and a favorable current. Sunday was cloudy but a nice beat and close reach, with most of the trip moving along in the 7-8 knot range.

The trip was not without glitches. West River anchorage was dead empty when we got there, so we sailed in and anchored without bothering to start the engine. Once Synergy was on the hook and put to bed I went down below for the first time and heard this strange noise that I could not recognize. It turned out to be the pressure water pump. A hose clamp had literally split and the discharge hose had come off the nipple. The pump had emptied the 40 gallon water tank into the bilge. I always wondered ho much capacity the bilge has before it is almost up to the floor boards. Now I know! I always carry spare clamps so the fix was easy.

We ended up hauling up the anchor and motoring over to Pirates Cove. We put in 15 20 gallons in the tank which was more than we needed and then motored back out to anchor once again. By then a small cluster of boats had taken their places in the anchorage.

It also looks like my wind instrument bought the farm. I was able to check that power is getting to the instrument, the wires from the instrument and up the mast have continuity and the sensors are working. (I had been concerned about the wires since I drilled a small hole in my mast to install a drain for the mast step and feared that I might have hit the wire.)

But those kinds of glitches are par for the course and it sure felt great to be out there.

Jeff

·
Registered
27 Posts
Breton Bay is pretty nice. I haven’t been all the way up to the anchorage near Leonard town, but have dropped the hook in the anchorage next to Protestant Pt several times. It is a nice four hour sail down from Colonial Beach. We were just there this past weekend. We sailed out Friday afternoon with 15 on a beam reach, just hung out on the hook all day Saturday doing nothing, and sailed back with 15 dead behind. The jets skis and tubers all went away by dinner time on Saturday and everything quieted down nicely. We saw an amazing shooting star Sat night. It probably lasted 5 seconds with a thick orange trail and finished by breaking into pieces like a firework.

Terry

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just hope to get a weekend excursion this weekend! The various plans all sound great!

Except the sea-monster, that doesn't sound as great as the others.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Be thoughtful about visiting Virginia's eastern shore. It's a hotspot for vivid because of some poultry operations. It has been excluded from Virginia's phase I reopening because of this.

·
11,777 Posts
Be thoughtful about visiting Virginia's eastern shore. It's a hotspot for vivid because of some poultry operations. It has been excluded from Virginia's phase I reopening because of this.
Good point. We want none of that!!!!!!

·
11,777 Posts
Breton Bay is pretty nice. I haven’t been all the way up to the anchorage near Leonard town, but have dropped the hook in the anchorage next to Protestant Pt several times. It is a nice four hour sail down from Colonial Beach. We were just there this past weekend. We sailed out Friday afternoon with 15 on a beam reach, just hung out on the hook all day Saturday doing nothing, and sailed back with 15 dead behind. The jets skis and tubers all went away by dinner time on Saturday and everything quieted down nicely. We saw an amazing shooting star Sat night. It probably lasted 5 seconds with a thick orange trail and finished by breaking into pieces like a firework.

Terry
Great advice Terry. Thanks for posting.

We usually dont go up the Potomac , but this year presents different challenges. We are looking for places to dinghy in and stretch our legs and not have lots of people to “ bump” into. After reading some Leonardtown seems to fit the bill.

Sounds like you had a great time.😁

·
11,777 Posts
Yeah, I think the winds'll be pretty light. Looks like they might be from the NW most of the time which means we might be able to motorsail at least. Hoping they veer to the east in time for our Tuesday trip up the Bay. Tuesday looks better for wind strength on the Bay too.

I agree with your ideas about Jutland Creek and/or Breton Bay. Jutland is where we were planning for Sunday night if we make really good time (doubtful). Do you think Breton Bay is a better choice than Lower Machodoc Creek (Coles Neck) across the river? If so, we might choose that instead for our "medium pace" plan. We might run into you in one of those anchorages! That'd be fun. We'll be on ch. 16 - SV Spirit, large dark blue bimini, no dodger.
Both look like great anchorages . If at Jutland you don’t have to cross the river.

We will anchor up near Leonardtown off of Buzzard . Easy dinghy ride into town from there. We have ocean blue canvas, dinghy, 4 flags on the starboard flag halyard. ( MD state, Penn State, Hawaii, Conch Republic ).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Agreed, Stagg and I had a shreeking good ride across to Kipotpeke from Deltaville and are probably going to have a similar run through the washing machine heading across to Hampton Roads tomorrow.

Hold onto your hats and don't forget where you stowed the spares.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Here's a little dog overboard mishap that happened Sunday morning. I'll leave the Facebook post public for a couple of days before I lock it down again, so look now if you're interested:

Dog Overboard

Reactions: chef2sail

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
A few days ago, I watched an old movie, "Summer Rental" with John Candy. When they had the sailboat race during the last part of the movie, I damned near broke into tears. How I miss sailing the Chesapeake on my old tub, Saturday's Child. Unfortunately, those days are long gone for me at this stage of life.

Hope you all have a wonderful sailing season this year,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi all,
First..travlin-easy..makes me a bit sad to read your last post. I hope that you have a few friends that you can tag along with sometimes. If not, I would help there.
Next..This is "relocate" weekend for me and will involve a South to North Kent Narrows transit on either Saturday or Sunday. None of the High tide times are very convenient....so...does anyone know if the current North channel conditions are the same as last year?
Thanks for any "heads-up"
Patrick

·
H34 'Spirit'
77 Posts
FYI I just read that APS is closing their doors for good. :^( On the bright side they're having a good sale right now, I guess.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Monday, my wife and I will be taking our nine year old granddaughter on a three day tour of the region at the mouth of the Rappahannock. Overnight stops will include Little Bay and Milford Haven. I

The girl is no newcomer. She's been sailing with us since she was four.

·
11,777 Posts
Didn't they decide last year to get rid of their rope and hardware, and focus on clothing?
Yes. I got some great equipment from them when that happened like racing blocks etc.

I frequently bought stuff from them on sale. I checked the website and many sizes are gone.

It’s sad as they were a fixture in Eastport for years with quality stuff

·
11,777 Posts
We delayed our 17 day trip till tomorrow morning , first stop Mill Creek , Solomon’s.

From there we will tour small towns and anchorages on the Potomac. Leonardtown, St Mary’s and Brenton Bay, Yocomico and Ingram Creek. After that playing it by ear as we are going to need a store visit possibly for perishable ( though not a necessity)

We are not true cruisers as we like to eat out occasionally and take a slip.

This trip however mostly anchoring and dinghy use to go ashore and only places really with no crowds.
Don’t think eating at restaurants will be a safe option .

381 - 400 of 585 Posts