SailNet Community banner

541 - 560 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Check these Macerators out... I am darn familiar with how they are designed and built...
I completed the rebuild on my macerator yesterday. It was a very pleasant experience since I had disinfected everything a week ago. I also disassembled, cleaned, and lubed my toilet pump (since I had flushed gallons of water and some cleaning vinegar before pumpout) and it’s now as smooth as buttah. 😀

·
11,850 Posts
Damn $520 vs $123. That’s a big difference in price. I’m sure the Groco is better quality but

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I just had my offer accepted on a 1980 Bristol 35.5 named Sea Scape, in Mayo MD. We will likely keep her in the Mayo area for a while.

My wife and I are interested in activities with other sailors. We are in our mid-sixties.

We plan to be there sailing the week of July 26th to 31 and are completely new to the area. We will be looking for things to do and places to go.

Thanks,

Bill

·
11,850 Posts
I just had my offer accepted on a 1980 Bristol 35.5 named Sea Scape, in Mayo MD. We will likely keep her in the Mayo area for a while.

My wife and I are interested in activities with other sailors. We are in our mid-sixties.

We plan to be there sailing the week of July 26th to 31 and are completely new to the area. We will be looking for things to do and places to go.

Thanks,

Bill
Congrats on the new boat
Bristols are classics

Choptank sailing has lots of great anchorages
Wye River area also.

will be hot that week.....scortching

·
Registered
2,261 Posts

Thanks,

Bill
Chef is correct it is likely to be very hot that time of year. Hopefully, your new boat has AC if the heat makes it a "Marina dash" sort of week like our 4th of July week a season or so back. It was so hot you had to be in the pool or in the AC or it was miserable.

Anyway, from the area you are in, some places to consider for you first exploration would be.

Annapolis - Inexpensive mooring balls ($35 night), water taxi that will pick you up and drop you at your boat and plenty of places with outside dining if you want to explore the town. Annapolis is easily walkable and has lots of shopping and things to do like visit the Naval Academy.

Rock Hall - Nice Marina's (a bit on the expensive side, but the whole Bay may strike some as expensive). Town is spread out and less interesting than Annapolis but worth a visit. Maybe better after COVID.

Baltimore/Fells Point/Canton - Among the less scenic rivers, but interesting to see a working sea port. Lots of great places to eat in Fells Point and Canton but not sure about outdoor seating amid the COVID situation. Some caution is warranted walking in the area between the Marinas and the attractons and I personally would not visit at night without being part of a larger group. The area could also be prone to crowding so beware.

West River/Rhode River - The West is the first river south of you and the Rhode joins a about a mile or so in. There is a very nice anchorage in the Rhode with room for plenty of boats. It is popular and there is a party island where folks on runabout hang all day but it quietens down after dark. If you visit the West River be aware the mouth of the river is carpet bombed with crab pots. There is a "float free" channel that runs about on the straight line from Green WR1 to Green WR1A. Between 1A and Red 2 pots seem to be scattered randomly and beyond that the pots taper off. If you want to visit West River there is room to anchor between the Yacht Club and Pirates Cove/West River Yacht Harbor. The fuel dock and pump out at WRYH are easy to access if you need fuel or pump out. We have our boat at WRYH so let us know if you are in the area.

Herrington Harbor South and North/Shipwright. One company owns all 3 of these resort style Marina's. HHS is a straight in entry from Herring Bay and is the most resort like of the 3. There is a hotel and restaruant on site but not much else around. HHN and Shipwright are on opposite side of Rockhold Creek and there is a long shoal appropriately named "Long Bar" that forms a roughly 2 mile fairway up to the creek entrance. Not challenging at all, just further to a from the Bay itself. HHN has a boatyard but is still a beautiful marina with a Lounge/Work out room/Vending machine space, a Restaurant with outdoor Tiki Bar (others you could walk or water taxi to) and a West Marine on site,

Eastern Bay/Miles River/Wye River - Crossing over to Eastern Bay on the eastern shore there are too many places to list them all. St Michaels is among the coolest places to visit on the Chesapeake and many sailors in the area visit the town multiple times per year. Visiting from Eastern Bay is considered the "Front Door" and you can also visit the town from Choptank River via San Domigo Creek often referred to as the "Back Door". You can anchor off the town in th eMiles (Can be lumpy) or get a slip at a Marina in Town. There is also Leeds Creek directly across from St Mikes is yo uwant to anchor in a more protected spot, but be aware the entrance is stress inducing. Off the Miles, on the Wye and Wye East there are numerous peaceful anchorages some large (Shaw Bay, Drum Point) some small (Dividing Creek).

I'll leave the Choptank for another day or you can do a chart recon to see there are a lot of great places to visit there as well.

That should give you some stuff to ponder for your first few visits. Welcome.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
With moderate temperature/humidity forecast, but turning very muggy over the weekend, we decided to start our weekend early.

Today we’re anchored in Harness Creek adjacent to Quiet Waters Park. This is our second time here, and it may quickly become a favorite because it’s one of very few landings we’ve found that offers amenities (rest rooms, beautiful gardens, dog park, etc.) along with ample shade on the walking paths. Places like Rock Hall, St. Mikes, etc are all wonderful for amenities, but very sun-baked and hot this time of year. This anchorage is overflowing with people during the weekends, but on weekdays it has been very peaceful in our experience.

We departed Rock Hall yesterday afternoon, hoping for an easy sail in the forecast WNW breezes. The wind turned out to be brisk WSW, so it was a hard beat on 3 tacks in heavy chop north of the bridge, and a couple more tacks in gentler breezes and smooth waters south of the bridge before we ran out of time and had to motor around Thomas Point Light to steer through the copious crab pots in the mouth of South River before dark.

This morning we went ashore and walked about 5 miles within the park before returning to the boat for lunch, a quick swim, and lazing out in the c0ckpit waiting for the storms to blow through. If the weather calms down early enough this evening, we may return to shore and try out the walking path to the park entrance, right by WestMarine, Fawcett’s, and the other nearby stores. We’ll sail home tomorrow, where a bunch of weekend todos await us (painting, etc.).

This is week nine of my ten-week furlough. With our community pool opening next week, we’ll be getting caught up on our lap swimming instead of sailing, so this is the last mini-cruise before I go back to work in Milwaukee. My company has not confirmed that they’re calling me back, but I assume they wouldn’t keep paying my benefits if they weren’t. Based on how my 10–week “trial retirement” has gone, I’m ready to move on if they can’t afford to keep me. I certainly didn’t go “stir crazy” over the past 9 weeks.

·
Registered
408 Posts
.....We plan to be there sailing the week of July 26th to 31 and are completely new to the area. We will be looking for things to do and places to go.
Thanks,
Bill
Congratulations on the new to you boat - and (depending on how new you are to the area) your new sailing area. Little stuff makes a big difference wherever you go, and we have wonderful spots like the Miles, Wye River, Oxford, Annapolis, the Severn.
A copy of Shellenburger's "Cruising the Chesapeake" is great to have aboard. Also for evenings or rainy days "Beautiful Swimmers", a classic from William Warner. Michener's "Chesapeake" is a good read but maybe the first time through best to save for winter.
We have bugs, so screens, repellent and/or the Thermacell bug units ( worth it, but pricey) are good to have. An old fashioned mosquito net doesn't get used much but when you need it it is gold. And flyswatters....buy extra.

·
11,850 Posts
With moderate temperature/humidity forecast, but turning very muggy over the weekend, we decided to start our weekend early.

Today we’re anchored in Harness Creek adjacent to Quiet Waters Park. This is our second time here, and it may quickly become a favorite because it’s one of very few landings we’ve found that offers amenities (rest rooms, beautiful gardens, dog park, etc.) along with ample shade on the walking paths. Places like Rock Hall, St. Mikes, etc are all wonderful for amenities, but very sun-baked and hot this time of year. This anchorage is overflowing with people during the weekends, but on weekdays it has been very peaceful in our experience.

We departed Rock Hall yesterday afternoon, hoping for an easy sail in the forecast WNW breezes. The wind turned out to be brisk WSW, so it was a hard beat on 3 tacks in heavy chop north of the bridge, and a couple more tacks in gentler breezes and smooth waters south of the bridge before we ran out of time and had to motor around Thomas Point Light to steer through the copious crab pots in the mouth of South River before dark.

This morning we went ashore and walked about 5 miles within the park before returning to the boat for lunch, a quick swim, and lazing out in the c0ckpit waiting for the storms to blow through. If the weather calms down early enough this evening, we may return to shore and try out the walking path to the park entrance, right by WestMarine, Fawcett’s, and the other nearby stores. We’ll sail home tomorrow, where a bunch of weekend todos await us (painting, etc.).

This is week nine of my ten-week furlough. With our community pool opening next week, we’ll be getting caught up on our lap swimming instead of sailing, so this is the last mini-cruise before I go back to work in Milwaukee. My company has not confirmed that they’re calling me back, but I assume they wouldn’t keep paying my benefits if they weren’t. Based on how my 10–week “trial retirement” has gone, I’m ready to move on if they can’t afford to keep me. I certainly didn’t go “stir crazy” over the past 9 weeks.
Good you’ve been getting out and trying new anchorages. For your style of boating Harness Creek seems to fit the bill. It has walking trails, place for Fido, and stores. It does have crowds, of course mid week isn’t as bad as weekends but the South River in general is a powerboat River. It only takes hitting it on a club trip to convince you when there are 12 boat raftups. Rhode River and Severn River Creeks , especially north of Saltworks and Little Round Bay are much more nature like and peace and quiet. If we feel it’s necessary to be surrounded by people and houses on the western shore that’s where we head.

As you get to explore many of the other rivers and creeks south of the bridge hopefully they become new found favorites also. The Wye and Choptank are ours north of Solomon’s. On our last trip we discovered the many places on the first 20 miles of the Potomac from the Bay.

when we made the conversion fro just a weekend sailor to do some coastal cruising for a few weeks at a time, it opened up a huge variety of different experiences. Venturing to the LI Sound took some convincing my wife, but she became a fan. Increased variety in places to go made us really enjoy our sailboat and brought us great new experiences and friends .

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
We have many jelly fish in the creek in the Solomons. Anyone seeing these critters?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
We have many jelly fish in the creek in the Solomons. Anyone seeing these critters?
This is a predictive model (based mostly on salinity and temperature IIRC), so take it with a grain of salt. Lower Pax looks to be about 30-40% probability now. Always goes up as summer progresses, unless we have really heavy rainfall like 2018:

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
20 Posts
...I've been sailing vicariously through all of you thus far, as she's been on the hard at the Navy MWR marina- DoD facilities are still shut. It's been painful to check/work on her, as I'm the last boat on the seawall and have a gorgeous view of every other boat that has been actually sailing through this wonderfully cool, breezy spring. Nor is has it been fun to be paying for an (empty) slip.
MWR finally got permission to launch, at least the Annapolis facility, so we go in Tuesday. A few evening shakedowns, heading to St Mike's early Friday, then likely one of the creeks up the Wye for Sat-Sun. Time to makeup for lost time!

·
Administrator
9,009 Posts
Saturday was a heck of a great day to be out sailing on the Chesapeake Bay. I sailed in the CHESSS (Chesapeake Short-handed Sailing Society) annual Poplar Island Race. Winds were generally in the 10-12 knot range but piped up into the mid-to high teens late in the day making for some sporty double-handed sailing on the last spinnaker leg to the finish line with some pretty good surfing and big blasts of speed.

I did the near full "Moitessier" sailing through the finish line and just kept going since the spinnaker leg was such a hoot. With the Covid precautions, CHESSS's membership has grown enormously and participation in CHESSS racing really thriving with 27 boats entering in one of 5 classes.

It was a tactically challenging race. The race allows boats to go around the course either clockwise or counter clockwise. Clockwise offered less beating; counterclockwise had less of running. Clockwise offered better apparent winds, counter clockwise less opposing current. Most of the spinnaker fleet chose clockwise, a larger percentage of the non-spin fleet chose counterclockwise. (For those who are interested the race results are here: Poplar Island Race Results and the fleet description here Poplar Island Race Entrants) The conditions made for a very close racing with lead changes as boats chose to trade off more breeze but headed for more opposing current, vs. less breeze but lifted and less opposing current, tacking on the shifts vs fewer tacks.

See you out on the Bay,
Jeff

·
Administrator
9,009 Posts
...I've been sailing vicariously through all of you thus far, as she's been on the hard at the Navy MWR marina- DoD facilities are still shut. It's been painful to check/work on her, as I'm the last boat on the seawall and have a gorgeous view of every other boat that has been actually sailing through this wonderfully cool, breezy spring. Nor is has it been fun to be paying for an (empty) slip.
MWR finally got permission to launch, at least the Annapolis facility, so we go in Tuesday. A few evening shakedowns, heading to St Mike's early Friday, then likely one of the creeks up the Wye for Sat-Sun. Time to makeup for lost time!
Hello Neighbor,

I live on Mulberry Hill Road and sail out of Mill Creek.

Jeff

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,215 Posts
Sounds wonderful Jeff... I wish I had not sold my spinnaker but well it has a good home... I am looking for a A symmetrical spin though... Easier to use with two people. I was never that comfortable with flying the big "whomper" by myself. Haha

·
11,850 Posts
I completed the rebuild on my macerator yesterday. It was a very pleasant experience since I had disinfected everything a week ago. I also disassembled, cleaned, and lubed my toilet pump (since I had flushed gallons of water and some cleaning vinegar before pumpout) and it’s now as smooth as buttah. 😀
you don’t put anything in it so it should last forever 😄😄😄😄😄😄

I flush a cap full of mineral oil every trip or 3 days. Keeps the rubber lubed so only thing necessary is a little grease on the piston shaft. Our last rebuild was 5 years ago using the cheap jabsco quite frequently.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've always been pleased with my airhead composter. It's always seemed failsafe. I'm this most recent cruise our nine year old granddaughter proved me wrong. First night out she had a belly ache followed by serious diarea in the middle of the night. She managed to clog the holes in the urine separator and for two days urine went into the solids compartment. What a stink. After the cruise I was able to clean up the mess but It was like sailing a porta John for a few days.

Still had a great cruise in the southern most reached of the bay.

541 - 560 of 589 Posts