SailNet Community banner

561 - 580 of 583 Posts

·
11,754 Posts
I've always been pleased with my airhead composter. It's always seemed failsafe. I'm this most recent cruise our nine year old granddaughter proved me wrong. First night out she had a belly ache followed by serious diarea in the middle of the night. She managed to clog the holes in the urine separator and for two days urine went into the solids compartment. What a stink. After the cruise I was able to clean up the mess but It was like sailing a porta John for a few days.

Still had a great cruise in the southern most reached of the bay.
ouch

·
Administrator
8,998 Posts
Sounds wonderful Jeff... I wish I had not sold my spinnaker but well it has a good home... I am looking for a A symmetrical spin though... Easier to use with two people. I was never that comfortable with flying the big "whomper" by myself. Haha
Having spent a lot of time flying both symmetrical and asymmetric Spinnaker's, I am a strong believer that a symmetrical Spinnaker is easier to fly single-handed than an asymmetric because it is way easier to get a wrap in an asymmetric and without crew that is a more serious problem.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Question, can one sail between shore and the Cove Point LNG Terminal ? Is it restricted waters?

·
11,754 Posts
Restricted and Patroled
Major terrorist protection point

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,195 Posts
"Cheap" is all relative I think... I would guess everyone has in their mind what they are willing to spend on something.

Things that keep a boat afloat are important to most I would assume... And for what it is, is probably expensive however it could be "cheap" compared to, say, a new engine.

For what ever reason, perhaps because there just are not a lot of options, I have RULE bilge pumps. The big Daddy "emergency bilge pump" has never had an issue because its rarely used. The little "maintenance bilge pump" however lasts for a few years, longer if I'm lucky... And forget float switches by RULE. They are worthless. Yeah there are better bilge pumps, and they costs more, and someday when I need to replace the RULE, if I'm feeling like it, maybe I'll buy the better pump. Someone here probably has knowledge of a better designed bilge pump and will share so I can make an informed decision... And I would appreciate that

Just a thought

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
...And forget float switches by RULE. They are worthless...
I've always assumed (without any data) that the elimination of mercury has made float switches less reliable. When my prior float switch went bad (would turn on, but often would not shut off), I found an identical replacement (with Mercury) that was in leftover stock.

So in addition to information about better bilge pumps, I'd love to hear from someone who knows about how float switches are designed and who has the best ones.

Reactions: MastUndSchotbruch

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
20 Posts
So we finally launched yesterday afternoon, bent on the sails, and stayed out for dinner. Found that the head will not pump seawater in- need to look at the dry/wet lever and gasket, and check the seawater line for blockage. The lift pump is also leaking oil from the gasket behind it, need to pull it and slip a new gasket back there, or maybe a little RTV. Currently shocking the H2O tanks to be ready for the weekend. Felt good to be out in my own boat again!

·
Administrator
8,998 Posts
So we finally launched yesterday afternoon, bent on the sails, and stayed out for dinner. Found that the head will not pump seawater in- need to look at the dry/wet lever and gasket, and check the seawater line for blockage. The lift pump is also leaking oil from the gasket behind it, need to pull it and slip a new gasket back there, or maybe a little RTV. Currently shocking the H2O tanks to be ready for the weekend. Felt good to be out in my own boat again!
A quick question, are you in the marina on Mill Creek or the one inside the base? I will look for Liberty Call out there.

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
20 Posts
Hah- you need to wait many years for all the active duty and senior retired folks ahead of you on the list to go away, before you get a slip at the Mill creek facility! That is now the only MWR/personal use docking available- the "inside" one at North Severn is for the YP and support craft, and the one at the Academy itself is for their sailcraft. The moorings on Carr creek are for the MWR rental fleet- used to be able to moor there but no longer (besides, that's too exposed to the S/SE, with a rocky lee shore).
We were 2 piers up from Cantler's last season but our friends moved. We are at Whitehall (same place Chef is, I think) now. Whitehall creek's turns present a slightly different sobriety check than the chicane getting into Mill creek does.

·
11,754 Posts
"Cheap" is all relative I think... I would guess everyone has in their mind what they are willing to spend on something.

Things that keep a boat afloat are important to most I would assume... And for what it is, is probably expensive however it could be "cheap" compared to, say, a new engine.

For what ever reason, perhaps because there just are not a lot of options, I have RULE bilge pumps. The big Daddy "emergency bilge pump" has never had an issue because its rarely used. The little "maintenance bilge pump" however lasts for a few years, longer if I'm lucky... And forget float switches by RULE. They are worthless. Yeah there are better bilge pumps, and they costs more, and someday when I need to replace the RULE, if I'm feeling like it, maybe I'll buy the better pump. Someone here probably has knowledge of a better designed bilge pump and will share so I can make an informed decision... And I would appreciate that

Just a thought
I use a pump recommended by SV Audpicious made by Ultra

·
Administrator
8,998 Posts
Hah- you need to wait many years for all the active duty and senior retired folks ahead of you on the list to go away, before you get a slip at the Mill creek facility! That is now the only MWR/personal use docking available- the "inside" one at North Severn is for the YP and support craft, and the one at the Academy itself is for their sailcraft. The moorings on Carr creek are for the MWR rental fleet- used to be able to moor there but no longer (besides, that's too exposed to the S/SE, with a rocky lee shore).
We were 2 piers up from Cantler's last season but our friends moved. We are at Whitehall (same place Chef is, I think) now. Whitehall creek's turns present a slightly different sobriety check than the chicane getting into Mill creek does.
I will keep an eye out for you near WB R2

·
11,754 Posts
yep I’m there, inside the T head.

yes a definite test of reading markers , but super protection once back in the marina. I’ll look for you boat.
Haleakula is currently sitting having an engine rebuilt for her. Approximate ETA for completion 9/1-9/14.

was done in HerringtonHarbor N today looking over the engine being rebuilt, many new parts ordered for it took the transmission to also be looked over .

we will be down this weekend to stay overnight and take a few dinghy rides So if your around say hi. We will have the AC running.

·
11,754 Posts
we use fresh water in our head via a couple gallon water bottles we refill from our tank. Cuts down on any smell as there are no critters in it to decompose and produce the sulfur gas.

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
20 Posts
we use fresh water in our head via a couple gallon water bottles we refill from our tank. Cuts down on any smell as there are no critters in it to decompose and produce the sulfur gas.
I'm leaning towards that for the same reason- the shower handle is right there, after all. Shouldn't be a large drain on the FW usage at all. My old powerboat used FW and it was kinda nice.

·
Administrator
8,998 Posts
I just received this picture of Synergy at the finish line of last week's Poplar Island Race. It turned out that we won the Spinnaker Class. As Lauren pointed out, at one point we were throwing a rooster tail.

Poplar Island Race-Synergy at the Finish Line

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've always assumed (without any data) that the elimination of mercury has made float switches less reliable. When my prior float switch went bad (would turn on, but often would not shut off), I found an identical replacement (with Mercury) that was in leftover stock.

So in addition to information about better bilge pumps, I'd love to hear from someone who knows about how float switches are designed and who has the best ones.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I typically keep the selector on my Raritan head on dry and flush with fresh water from the sink/shower. A few times a season I'll pump a bit of raw water through just to make sure everything is working.

On one occasion it would not draw water in and I found the issue was the ball in the check valve of the pump was stuck. Poking it free solved the problem. Hoping yours is an easy fix like mine was.

561 - 580 of 583 Posts