SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Does anyone know of a good small outboard repair shop in the Baltimore area? I've got an old Johnson 2hp for the dink that needs to be serviced. Thanks in advance.
You might have a hard time finding a place that will take you. I called half dozen trying to get service on my near 20 year old 2-stroke and most declined. Not worth their time, they want larger motors/$$. Jaws marine in curtis bay did agree to look at it:
https://goo.gl/maps/9qUbyCAcsEr37U888
I'm not sure I'd wholeheartedly recommend it, but I think they did a decent enough job. It did cost quite a bit (but probably normal rate around here), and I had issues with the motor again after. But since it's so old that could be other things and not their fault. (As in I; believe they did get it running. But when I tried it in the water again it ran for 30 sec, then died and didn't start again.. Ended up buying new motor:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'm going to give it a try myself...fuel, spark, compression right? How hard could it be? :wink
I did have one place return my call and say it would cost more to fix it than it is worth.

·
11,850 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'm going to give it a try myself...fuel, spark, compression right? How hard could it be? :wink
I did have one place return my call and say it would cost more to fix it than it is worth.
I PM you as I am doubtful I will continue to post on the open forums anymore. The “ new “ direction feel of the site doesn’t really feel sympatico
with my personal direction. I don’t want to discuss this further, but don’t want to stop talking with all the friends I have made. Hopefully their will be no further retaliation from me saying this.

Feel free to contact me. I left my cell in the message.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Good plan! You can probably find a service manual online....

Clean the plug, squirt some carb cleaner into the intake, use some new fuel, and see what happens. A new impeller should be easy to find and replace. Taking the carb off and taking it apart to clean it up and put a kit in it may be necessary if the old gas has gummed up, but that’s a pretty simple operation also with some patience and attention to how things come apart.....Pine Sol is a great non toxic cleaner for carbs if you have to go that route.

·
Registered
202 Posts
But anyway, I will not be spending any money there for my projects, except for the occasional trip to West Marine. In particular, their resident canvas and sail shops probably lost some business.
Old Bay Marina is on Rockhold Creek between Shipwright and Rockhold Creek Marinas. They've a canvas shop I've used. They do a good job, quickly, for a reasonable price, FWIW.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Many years ago, when I was a OMC service center in Bel Air, Maryland, I serviced a lot of small outboards for sailboats and anglers that fished the lower Susquehanna River and adjacent Flats. The vast majority of them had carb problems, mainly from sitting for extended periods with untreated fuel in the tanks and carbs. The vast majority of them were quickly fixed by rebuilding or just cleaning the carbs with carb cleaner. Soaking the carb in cleaner for about 4 to 6 hours, then rinsing it with gasoline usually solved all the problems until the following season. Sometimes you had to reset the float level, which was pretty easy using a gauge supplied by OMC.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
20 Posts
... was going to suggest going to a lawnmower/general small-engine shop too.
They may not know much about the lower units, but 2stroke is 2stroke, everything else is just loads attached to the PTO.
And who knows, maybe the guy there DOES know marine engines too? Or at least willing to figure it out. A good mechanic in one context is still a pretty competent mechanic on another.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Many years ago, when I was a OMC service center in Bel Air, Maryland, I serviced a lot of small outboards for sailboats and anglers that fished the lower Susquehanna River and adjacent Flats. The vast majority of them had carb problems, mainly from sitting for extended periods with untreated fuel in the tanks and carbs. The vast majority of them were quickly fixed by rebuilding or just cleaning the carbs with carb cleaner. Soaking the carb in cleaner for about 4 to 6 hours, then rinsing it with gasoline usually solved all the problems until the following season. Sometimes you had to reset the float level, which was pretty easy using a gauge supplied by OMC.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:
Thanks Gary.

·
Administrator
9,009 Posts
Yesterday was about as nice a sailing day as you could find. It was absolutely beautiful on the Bay with winds in the 12-15 knot range and gusts into the high teens and maybe up to 20 knots on occasion. Made a very fast passage from Mill Creek down to the Rhode River and back with a long period spent power reaching at speeds between 7.5 and 9 knots. We didn't waste a moment of sailing time since we got back to the dock in time to get the old girl put back to bed, latching the least mainsail cover twist lock and stepping off the boat just as the sun dipped below the horizon.

It really is lovely to be on the Bay this time of year. There is almost no signs of life out there except for large flocks of sea ducks. The dense air can be tricky, but that is all part of the experience.

Wind in my hair and a song in my heart https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Yesterday was about as nice a sailing day as you could find. It was absolutely beautiful on the Bay with winds in the 12-15 knot range and gusts into the high teens and maybe up to 20 knots on occasion. Made a very fast passage from Mill Creek down to the Rhode River and back with a long period spent power reaching at speeds between 7.5 and 9 knots. We didn't waste a moment of sailing time since we got back to the dock in time to get the old girl put back to bed, latching the least mainsail cover twist lock and stepping off the boat just as the sun dipped below the horizon.

It really is lovely to be on the Bay this time of year. There is almost no signs of life out there except for large flocks of sea ducks. The dense air can be tricky, but that is all part of the experience.

Wind in my hair and a song in my heart https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/,

Jeff
Sigh...My wife went to an event with the some of the women from our sailing club so I went to check on the boat.

Everything was in good order, so I just put the charger on for a while hung out and enviously watched the lone sailboat in West River.

·
Administrator
9,009 Posts
Sigh...My wife went to an event with the some of the women from our sailing club so I went to check on the boat.

Everything was in good order, so I just put the charger on for a while hung out and enviously watched the lone sailboat in West River.
If that was mid afternoon, that was probably me!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts

Jeff
I'm envious!

Pardon the nit-picky question, but I can't help: It's interesting to see a wheel pilot on such a large wheel. I would think that if you need the mechanical advantage of such a large wheel, you would exceed the torque range of a little wheel pilot and need a hydraulic unit. Is there another reason for having such a large wheel, like maybe steering from the coaming?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If that was mid afternoon, that was probably me!
I was there from mid morning to early afternoon. This boat came all the way up to just short of WRYH and dropped his sails before heading up Tenthouse/Cox Creek. I expect he might have come from a private dock up the creek.

I can't quite see all the way to Rhode River from the end of my dock.

·
Administrator
9,009 Posts
I'm envious!

Pardon the nit-picky question, but I can't help: It's interesting to see a wheel pilot on such a large wheel. I would think that if you need the mechanical advantage of such a large wheel, you would exceed the torque range of a little wheel pilot and need a hydraulic unit. Is there another reason for having such a large wheel, like maybe steering from the coaming?
Good question. I have wondered about that myself. The large wheel gets the helmsman out towards the rail where they can see the telltales. I really like that. A lot of sisterships have tillers instead of wherls. The gearing of the steering is roughly 1 1/2 turns lock to lock.

But despite the low mechanical gearing advantage, the helm is very light. And because of the low mechanical advantage it only requires very small movements of the wheel to stay on course. Whatever the realities of this, the wheel pilot has plenty of power to keep the boat on course most of the time.

Offshore I would probably like to have a ram since it would be less vulnerable than a wheel pilot. I would really like to have vane steering. (My boat still has the mounting plates that the windvane was bolted to when she was single handed in from South Africa in 2983)

For what it's worth, a lot of the sisterships to my boat use a 42" wheel instead of the 60" wheel that is in the picture. (I actually have a 42" wheel for my boat that I have used when repairing the 60" wheel. Except for sight lines, the small wheel works fine.)

Jeff

·
Administrator
9,009 Posts
I was there from mid morning to early afternoon. This boat came all the way up to just short of WRYH and dropped his sails before heading up Tenthouse/Cox Creek. I expect he might have come from a private dock up the creek.

I can't quite see all the way to Rhode River from the end of my dock.
Oh well, then there must have been another boat out there since we turned around near the mouth of the Rhode River and headed back toward Annapolis. We actually did see three boats under sail and a few power boats during the day. As pretty as it was out there, the good news is that you got to enjoy the water without experiencing the colder breezes on the Bay.

Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you so much Chesapeake Sailors. Your postings are reinforcing my decision to spend this summer hanging out and telling lies with you. I'm currently holed up due to weather on Isla Providencia Colombia, then Grand Cayman, Isla Mujeres then Key West on up to you. Recently did the big ditch (Panama Canal), from San Diego California after two years in Sea of Cortez and Pacific Mexico.

After reading everyone's posts, I've thrown my hat in the ring to stay at Anchorage Marina for the summer. Haven't heard back from them yet on availability and rate for a catamaran.

Again, Thank you for the positive and upbeat (no back stabbing) posts.

Don
SV Bonzai

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thank you so much Chesapeake Sailors. Your postings are reinforcing my decision to spend this summer hanging out and telling lies with you. I'm currently holed up due to weather on Isla Providencia Colombia, then Grand Cayman, Isla Mujeres then Key West on up to you. Recently did the big ditch (Panama Canal), from San Diego California after two years in Sea of Cortez and Pacific Mexico.

After reading everyone's posts, I've thrown my hat in the ring to stay at Anchorage Marina for the summer. Haven't heard back from them yet on availability and rate for a catamaran.

Again, Thank you for the positive and upbeat (no back stabbing) posts.

Don
SV Bonzai
Look me up when you are at the Anchorage. We live on a 53 Hatteras and sail our Tartan 30 out of there. You'll need a side tie which only rents thru the marina I believe.

41 - 60 of 589 Posts