SailNet Community banner

601 - 620 of 632 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Looks like a hot and fairly windless weekend. I haven't been out of the boat the past 2 weekends due to the heat and am not planning to go this weekend either. Sweating my brains out is not fun for me, and the nettles seem especially thick this summer. It was already bordering uncomfortable hot last time we went out (overnight) and I got zapped as soon as I stepped off the swim latter to cool off. The temps will break eventually and I'll be out and about when they do.

Since I haven't been over to the boat for a couple of weeks, I went over yesterday to check lines after the squalls passed through the day before. Lines did need a bit of adjusting, but the bilge was surprisingly dry for my boat. Almost aways a few inches after a big rain like that.

Think I'll exercise my pilot card and fly up to Pittsburg to see some friends Saturday.

·
12,163 Posts
Looks like a hot and fairly windless weekend. I haven't been out of the boat the past 2 weekends due to the heat and am not planning to go this weekend either. Sweating my brains out is not fun for me, and the nettles seem especially thick this summer. It was already bordering uncomfortable hot last time we went out (overnight) and I got zapped as soon as I stepped off the swim latter to cool off. The temps will break eventually and I'll be out and about when they do.

Since I haven't been over to the boat for a couple of weeks, I went over yesterday to check lines after the squalls passed through the day before. Lines did need a bit of adjusting, but the bilge was surprisingly dry for my boat. Almost aways a few inches after a big rain like that.

Think I'll exercise my pilot card and fly up to Pittsburg to see some friends Saturday.
yes , as we wait for our new engine to be put back together I don’t feel we missed much these last couple of weeks due to the heat

The engine is being reassembled, the machine shop still has a few parts, injectors done, pistons and cam shafts done, transmission done as was the damping plate. This being done by AR Diesel in the Harrington Harbor North shop. Hopefully we’ll tow Haleakula down the second or third week of August to have it installed.

we are headed Saturday thru Monday to New Bern , North Carolina to look at marinas and houses in the surrounding 60 miles for a possible place for retirement. It will be hard to leave the Chesapeake, but we would like to explore all opportunities. It’s about a three day motor up the ICW to Norfolk and the southern Chessie so we could still Take vacations sailing there, or go out into the Atlantic at Norfolk and sail up to the LI Sound. We could also take 1 day and go out Morehed City inlet and head to Charlestown. The question is is there enough sailing on the Neuse and Pamlico to satisfy us. The depths are 12 ft , perfect for our boat. I’m convinced there are plenty of gunkholing opportunities.

I do miss being out sailing, it am reminded by Palmetto this time of yeR that there are hot days we justdon’t take on.

·
Registered
Allied
24 Posts
It has been HOT here in the Chesapeake, and we've definitely had squalls come through. We were anchored out in Deltaville a few weeks ago and a friend clocked over 60 knots at anchor when the storm came through. It was intense!

Nice to have some cooler weather come through. Almost every day this past week we've had some sort of a weather alert. Good time to relax at the dock, etc. :)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
we are headed Saturday thru Monday to New Bern , North Carolina to look at marinas and houses in the surrounding 60 miles for a possible place for retirement. It will be hard to leave the Chesapeake,
We did a recon of the NC sailing areas over Christmas last year. Oriental is something like an Upscale version of Deltaville with a lot more going on but still a tad remote. I really liked it, but as I age, the idea of a town with a real hospital becomes more appealing.

New Bern looks like a great town that has the conveniences many retirees are looking for and is still on our list to spend some more time exploring. One of my criteria is a nearby GA airport to fly out of and New Bern has a nice airport adjacent to town.

Its much further south, but our favorite stop was South Port. Nice town, close to the beach at Oak Island and and an airport between town and the beach. Since we have Family along the SC Coast Southport is definitely still on the retirement place radar.

As you said none of these places are close to the Chesapeake sailing experience but they do offer a water based lifestyle with some city amenities at reasonable prices. I could see taking a trip north to the Chesapeake for a few weeks or perhaps even just leaving my boat in the southern Chesapeake and spending a week or so at a time during the spring and fall.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looks like a hot and fairly windless weekend. I haven't been out of the boat the past 2 weekends due to the heat and am not planning to go this weekend either.
Monday I'll finally get on the boat for the first time since March! I know how hot and awful the weather will be and I think it will be at least a few days before I get sailing. But even with all that, I have to say I'm excited to be back on the water. i get August off, so should be there through Labor Day.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
It's been a HOT July, so I'm not surprised to hear of sea nettle infestations. The last time our boat was out of the slip was June 26. There's a good chance we won't get out at all in July, which is the first time I can remember that happening. I'm back at work now, so weekdays are less available and weekend weather dictates our use. I might be able to take Friday off if the weather breaks, which would prevent July from being a total washout. But I need to fly to Milwaukee on Sunday, so it will have to be a shortened weekend.

I have gotten to the boat every weekend to do a few hours of maintenance, and managed to spin the prop in the slip each time to hopefully prevent too much hard growth. I'll be curious to see whether the Pettit Hydrocoat ECO that I applied to prop, strut, and shaft has been effective at limiting hard growth there.

·
Registered
Allied
24 Posts
It's been a HOT July, so I'm not surprised to hear of sea nettle infestations. The last time our boat was out of the slip was June 26. There's a good chance we won't get out at all in July, which is the first time I can remember that happening. I'm back at work now, so weekdays are less available and weekend weather dictates our use. I might be able to take Friday off if the weather breaks, which would prevent July from being a total washout. But I need to fly to Milwaukee on Sunday, so it will have to be a shortened weekend.

I have gotten to the boat every weekend to do a few hours of maintenance, and managed to spin the prop in the slip each time to hopefully prevent too much hard growth. I'll be curious to see whether the Pettit Hydrocoat ECO that I applied to prop, strut, and shaft has been effective at limiting hard growth there.
I'm interested in learning how the Pettit Hydrocoat ECO has worked for you. It's something I've looked into for our boat.

We did an experimental quartz-based nano coating for our bottom 'paint' last year. Intention is to limit any pollution into our oceans! Unfortunately, it did NOT perform well at all, even though it was supposedly being used on large boats as an advanced nano tech that increases efficiency and protects against growth (very slippery upon application). We had to do a complete new bottom job after six months. Regardless, still looking for more friendly products for bottom coatings and paint.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
I'm interested in learning how the Pettit Hydrocoat ECO has worked for you. It's something I've looked into for our boat.

We did an experimental quartz-based nano coating for our bottom 'paint' last year. Intention is to limit any pollution into our oceans! Unfortunately, it did NOT perform well at all...
Thank you for seeking more eco-friendly paints. In my case, I selected copper-free paint to avoid any possibility of galvanic corrosion on my brand new folding prop, strut, and shaft. (The topic of whether copper paint actually causes problems on bronze running gear is hotly debated. The science says yes, but people who have done it sometimes say no. But I am very conservative about this given the high cost of my prop.)

Unfortunately I still use copper-based paint on all fiberglass bottom surfaces. Nautical Proguard Ablative has worked very well for me, so I'm reluctant to change. Never had a single barnacle on any area protected by Proguard. (A yard used some other paint to touch up a repair job last year, and that touch-up had numerous barnacles on it when I hauled out.) When I report how Hydrocoat ECO worked, it will only be for my running gear surfaces. And I expect that it will have ablated off the prop blades pretty quickly (but the shearing on the blades prevents most hard growth anyway). I'm mainly looking for protection on the prop hub, shaft, and strut, which don't get the massive shearing action and have suffered fouling when using Pettit Barnacle Barrier (High Zinc content) alone. This year I put the Hydrocoat ECO over top of a few fresh coats of Barnacle Barrier.

And for full disclosure, Pettit's technical literature actually says that you can apply any antifouling (including copper containing ones) over top of Barnacle Barrier. But I still chose copper-free to be 100% sure I wasn't causing a corrosion problem.

Reactions: vessel

·
12,163 Posts
Thank you for seeking more eco-friendly paints. In my case, I selected copper-free paint to avoid any possibility of galvanic corrosion on my brand new folding prop, strut, and shaft. (The topic of whether copper paint actually causes problems on bronze running gear is hotly debated. The science says yes, but people who have done it sometimes say no. But I am very conservative about this given the high cost of my prop.)

Unfortunately I still use copper-based paint on all fiberglass bottom surfaces. Nautical Proguard Ablative has worked very well for me, so I'm reluctant to change. Never had a single barnacle on any area protected by Proguard. (A yard used some other paint to touch up a repair job last year, and that touch-up had numerous barnacles on it when I hauled out.) When I report how Hydrocoat ECO worked, it will only be for my running gear surfaces. And I expect that it will have ablated off the prop blades pretty quickly (but the shearing on the blades prevents most hard growth anyway). I'm mainly looking for protection on the prop hub, shaft, and strut, which don't get the massive shearing action and have suffered fouling when using Pettit Barnacle Barrier (High Zinc content) alone. This year I put the Hydrocoat ECO over top of a few fresh coats of Barnacle Barrier.

And for full disclosure, Pettit's technical literature actually says that you can apply any antifouling (including copper containing ones) over top of Barnacle Barrier. But I still chose copper-free to be 100% sure I wasn't causing a corrosion problem.
Been using copper paints for over 20 years. In fact my Ultimate 60 is chock full of it. Never had any galvanic corrosion or hint of it.

Prop Speed on all metal.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,239 Posts
This heat has kept us away from the boat as well... We opted to visit the beach this weekend and it was perfect. September isn't far away though hahaha

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
We made a day trip to the boat today to do some needed work in the air conditioned cabin. We had a nice take-out lunch on the way down, and ate dinner on the patio at Bay Wolf before coming home.

By the way, Rock Hall Landing Marina has seen a significant increase in seasonal sailboat tenants. I counted 9 masts on my dock today.

Hopefully the heat will break in time for me to take Friday off for some weekend sailing.

Reactions: PalmettoSailor

·
12,163 Posts
This heat has kept us away from the boat as well... We opted to visit the beach this weekend and it was perfect. September isn't far away though hahaha
Were people behaving? Distancing?

·
12,163 Posts
Today I became eligible to collect Social Security

usualy we celebrate at 410 Bank Street in Cape May or Roy’s in Kaui or Baltimore.

im stll not comfortable eating out so we got Roys take out and something decadent from Yaya Bakery

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,239 Posts
Were people behaving? Distancing?
Not sure what you mean by behaving but we went to Assateague Island beach via ORV (Off Road Vehicle) trail away from most humans... Great ocean breeze with temps in the 80s... Unlike the 90 + no wind on the Chesapeake

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Not sure what you mean by behaving but we went to Assateague Island beach via ORV (Off Road Vehicle) trail away from most humans... Great ocean breeze with temps in the 80s... Unlike the 90 + no wind on the Chesapeake
FWIW, my car driving on blacktop through Rock Hall showed 84F as we arrived yesterday - not as hot as I expected. The air was too dead for me, so we stayed in the slip. But while I was working on deck I noticed a bit of a breeze and looked up to see someone sailing a Sunfish in the harbor. I'm sure the ocean breeze was MUCH nicer, but it wasn't as bad in Rock Hall as we expected. That's why we opted for dinner outside on the patio where they had four well-spaced tables, and only one other one occupied. The other table happened to have a friend from my boat club whom I hadn't seen for a few years, so we had a nice talk and the wives got to meet each other.

·
12,163 Posts
Wearing masks

·
12,163 Posts
FWIW, my car driving on blacktop through Rock Hall showed 84F as we arrived yesterday - not as hot as I expected. The air was too dead for me, so we stayed in the slip. But while I was working on deck I noticed a bit of a breeze and looked up to see someone sailing a Sunfish in the harbor. I'm sure the ocean breeze was MUCH nicer, but it wasn't as bad in Rock Hall as we expected. That's why we opted for dinner outside on the patio where they had four well-spaced tables, and only one other one occupied. The other table happened to have a friend from my boat club whom I hadn't seen for a few years, so we had a nice talk and the wives got to meet each other.
Thats great
I’m still not comfortable going out to eat yet, but maybe I am overly cautious

·
Registered
38 Posts
We just returned from 4 days down around Deltaville. The WX was not as cooperative as I would have liked, and given the heat and our lack of a generator, we stayed in the Marinas. We were out in the bay when a little late-afternoon squall sprung up on Thursday and gave my wife a good scare, so we cancelled our plans to head to Yorktown, and instead went to Urbanna. Most people were masked up and maintaining distance, even on a Friday night. The nettles were everywhere, so no swimming, and the 90+ temps & <5kts wind the next couple of days == hanging out in the slip and pool at the marina. Most folks in the marina were keeping distanced, and wearing masks out in Deltaville. Our "sailing" was mostly lassoing pilings with a spring line to practice docking, but that was worthwhile.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Last two "sails" have been motor 0.9 nm, anchor, and have the kids swim around the boat. No nettles north of the bay bridge. Not exactly feeling the wind in my hair, but still nice enough. I do worry wasps are building a nest in my main..

601 - 620 of 632 Posts