SailNet Community banner

621 - 632 of 632 Posts

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
It's been 5 weeks since our boat has left the slip, so with moderate temperatures and dead wind we did a 2 hour motor today. It was mostly uneventful (aside from the DSC distress call from a boat on fire in Eastern Bay), and the motor ran fine up to 2400 RPM. We normally cruise at 2200, but I wanted to go higher as a test. Once we got to 2500 RPM there was a significant vibration, and 2600-2700 were totally unbearable. I haven't had the boat over 2400 this season, so not sure if this is new. My first suspicion is poor balance of my folding prop due to a couple poorly placed barnacles on the blades. I'm open to suggestions of what else it might be other than the usual things like engine alignment, bent shaft, etc. I'll work through all of those things in due time.

Is hard growth on the prop a good first thing to look at? I am really nervous of diving under the boat holding my breath. I'm just paranoid about something getting snagged on something and not being able to come up. I'd like to hire a diver to do this for me (and clean the rest of the bottom while he's at it). I called Haven Harbour and they don't know any divers local to Rock Hall. Do any of you have someone to recommend?

·
12,165 Posts
David King

Not sure he goes to Rock Hall
How is it at those RPM with no load

Any smoke? Mixing elbow. Probably barnacle / unbalanced

·
12,165 Posts
We just returned from 4 days down around Deltaville. The WX was not as cooperative as I would have liked, and given the heat and our lack of a generator, we stayed in the Marinas. We were out in the bay when a little late-afternoon squall sprung up on Thursday and gave my wife a good scare, so we cancelled our plans to head to Yorktown, and instead went to Urbanna. Most people were masked up and maintaining distance, even on a Friday night. The nettles were everywhere, so no swimming, and the 90+ temps & <5kts wind the next couple of days == hanging out in the slip and pool at the marina. Most folks in the marina were keeping distanced, and wearing masks out in Deltaville. Our "sailing" was mostly lassoing pilings with a spring line to practice docking, but that was worthwhile.
Next time in Urbana if open check this place out

Make their own ice cream

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
David King

Not sure he goes to Rock Hall
How is it at those RPM with no load

Any smoke? Mixing elbow. Probably barnacle / unbalanced
I found a diver in Chestertown. He's going to do it next week.

I'll check the motor up to 2500 in neutral next time I'm there. Last time I inspected the mixing elbow (pre-launch 2019) it was pristine - no coke at all. I'll check it again this winter when I remove the engine cabinet for perennial winter maintenance.

·
12,165 Posts
That’s great

It’s good to take that off every few years and when people let the go for a number of years they have great difficulty getting it off when they finally are required to.

We always give our diver one of our extra zincs in case he notices that it looks like it’s worn down. Our diver sends a detailed report of what he found when he finishes.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
We always give our diver one of our extra zincs in case he notices that it looks like it’s worn down. Our diver sends a detailed report of what he found when he finishes.
I wish I had thought of that and left a new zinc out for him. He'll probably be done before I get to the boat next week.

Last year's brand new zinc only lost 11% of its mass, so I re-used it this year (after temporarily removing it to acid clean the oxides and polish up the contact area). Just for good measure, I also put my 2018 zinc on the shaft, which had lost only 16% of its mass. I normally have two zincs on the shaft (one old, one newer) so they'll each erode more slowly, and if one should fall off due to erosion around the screws, I'll still have the other one on there.

·
12,165 Posts
I wish I had thought of that and left a new zinc out for him. He'll probably be done before I get to the boat next week.

Last year's brand new zinc only lost 11% of its mass, so I re-used it this year (after temporarily removing it to acid clean the oxides and polish up the contact area). Just for good measure, I also put my 2018 zinc on the shaft, which had lost only 16% of its mass. I normally have two zincs on the shaft (one old, one newer) so they'll each erode more slowly, and if one should fall off due to erosion around the screws, I'll still have the other one on there.
You’ll be all right then.
You pull your boat every year so you probably don’t use a diver much.
One years 2 and 3 on our Ultimata 60 we have a diver before each of our two long 21 day vacations
We get a discounted rate that way

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,239 Posts
Probably just growth Rick...

We got out this weekend finally... Should be a decent sail home today... Winds picked up at about 2100 last night and have stayed steady 10 knots and hoping that stays through the late afternoon ;)

Checked my fuel consumption again... As I approach 1000 on the engine I am averaging .64 gallons an hour. And I typically run at 2000 to 2200... Lately 2500 as the boat really needs to be hauled and painted.

I'm happy with that figure, and the engine overall, BETA 38. I have not had any issues, just normal maintenance items.

·
12,165 Posts
Probably just growth Rick...

We got out this weekend finally... Should be a decent sail home today... Winds picked up at about 2100 last night and have stayed steady 10 knots and hoping that stays through the late afternoon ;)

Checked my fuel consumption again... As I approach 1000 on the engine I am averaging .64 gallons an hour. And I typically run at 2000 to 2200... Lately 2500 as the boat really needs to be hauled and painted.

I'm happy with that figure, and the engine overall, BETA 38. I have not had any issues, just normal maintenance items.
They are good engines
I would have replaced our Yanmar with that but had trouble putting an $18,000 engine and new prop in our old gal. Scott had a -3 GMF he was working on and knew where it came from. He’s rebuilding it with all new parts. Can keep my shaft , prop, and alignment should be easy as it will go right back in place.

I’m getting itchy to get out. We’ve only missed a few days as it’s been super hot, but changes will be coming soon.
I’ll be she’s stuck to the bottom so I get the diver before we get towed to Deal.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,239 Posts
Helly Hansons Annapolis store has 40% off all items.

I returned a "defective" (liner had degraded) coat under their lifetime warranty and left the store with two "Skagen Offshore" coats (one for me and 1st mate) for $318 and change (return was valued at $260. Regular price was $350 each... I'd say I made out well 😜

·
Registered
16 Posts
If anyone has a classic plastic sailboat (26'-32') that is just sitting in the marina in the Baltimore-to-Herrington Harbor South area that they want someone to take out for a spin, to keep the engine and sails fresh and barnacles off the hull, let me know. I'm dying to get out on the water. I usually sail a friends' Pearson 303 but he just moved to the Bay area. Occasionally I charter from Hartge (1980s-era 30' and 34' Sabres) in Galesville on the West River. I am a coastal cruiser who years ago raced J24s. I am as comfortable with paper charts as I am with chartplotters. I live in the DC area. Thanks!

621 - 632 of 632 Posts