SailNet Community banner

661 - 680 of 724 Posts

·
Sailor
C & C 25
245 Posts
Thanks for the info. Will the basic model do everything cavas? We are planning on anew sail cover, an over the boom shade/rain cover, companion way cover, etc.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
The LSZ does zig zag for sails... Otherwise it's the same. Research their website for more info pertaining to your needs

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
Saturday was somewhat wet but did keep a lot of folks off the water which was nice...

We went North to Worton Creek and caught the edge of a storm off Fairies Creek which was a welcomed cool down from the humidity. I made an error in judgement anchoring on the far North side of Worton thinking we were inside the point enough we would avoid fetch however... At about 2:00 am I had enough of the rolly

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
Sunday's sail home was one of the best in a while... Beam reach with the current and we hit 8.3 SOG and averaged 6.8 SOG for 20 km... Got to love that.

I'm super happy with the new windlass install... It made the middle of the night relocation simple easy and safe.

I felt a taste of the fall breeze today... Yayaya

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
29 Posts
Agreed. An amazing day on the water. AM/noontime hullspeed reach with 12-14/NW up to Rock Hall, then nailed a tight backing into the slip at Waterman's, where I saw a few folks at the bar taking bets on whether...
Only blemish was that the wind died for the sail home, so we motored in company with a passel of black flies. Punishment for having lunch at a powerboat/biker bar? Though I do enjoy being the only big stick amongst many compensation machines. (To be fair, most of the powerboats there were very nice family yachts in the 40-50' range that I would enjoy, no real testosterone generators.)
That was the 1st time I've gone into the harbor there- I've always gone around the point. Not a fun place to have to loiter- I'll stick with the creek side.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
FYI: there is free tie up for the night at the bulkhead in Rockhall near the waterman monument.

Watermans crabs were high and small compared to Harris on the Narrows... But I've always enjoyed Watermans too.

We were passing Swan Point about noon... What a ride until about 1:00 ;)

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
29 Posts
Thanks- I had heard about that dockage, will keep it in mind. Good crew made it a reasonable and ego-satisfying call to run the gauntlet :)
We never eat crabs out- to me that's for tourists. Crabs are for backyards, picnic tables, and a lonnng afternoon. Especially when your neighbor crabs every chance he gets!.

·
Administrator
9,181 Posts
I must say that what looked like a crummy sailing weekend turned out wonderful. I was able to slip out for a few hours late in the day on Saturday once the rain stopped. An acquaintance on a boat buying trip came along and had a chance to meet 'Synergy' and see what she was about. We ended up slipping out after the rain and taking a long leg out into the Bay and then bearing away to sail through Annapolis Harbor and buzz the tourists before beating out through the anchorage and heading home.

Yesterday, was a super sailing day. Good breezes and lots to see. I had no where in particular to go and lots of time to get there. I spent the afternoon just enjoying breeze and the sights. Near the Bay Bridge I started sparing with a Beneteau 36.7. They owe me 15 seconds a mile, but there was a well sailed one in a recent shorthanded race that seemed to be about even with me in speed.

I had wanted to get a better sense of the relative speed of the boats. The 36.6 has a significantly higher SA/D, less wetted surface, and a more efficient keel and rudder as well. They also have more final stability. I have a little more waterline length, and more form stability and a much smaller L/D.

It was interesting how closely matched the two boats were upwind in those conditions. We ended up sailing all the way from the bridge to Annapolis's inner harbor. It was great fun as both boats seemed to be trimming for all they were worth. The 36.7 put crew up on the rail, which I could not do since I was single-handed. With my smaller jib vs their genoa, I was able tack quickly on the headers and that eventually bought me some distance. But it was a great chance to play with sail trim and VMG, pointing slightly higher but losing a little speed through the water vs footing off slightly. It was one of those rare opportunities to dial in the boat and see what happens on a beautiful day.

If I didn't know better I would have sworn it was fall. Slept like a baby with the windows open to the cool breezes.

Jeff

·
Registered
45 Posts
Spent the weekend before behind Gibson Island off the Magothy to no jellys, any idea on how far up the bay they have made it?

Also looking for any anchorages, most likely above the Bay Bridge, where there is access to a small beach, have a Jack Russel that loves the water and playing fetch on the waters edge and even going in swimming. Gets all "Jacked" up on a dinghy ride, I just move towards it and he is ready...

Jeff

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
Good places with beach access...above the bridge

1. Queenstown Creek off the Chester
  2. Caraway Island up the Chester
  3. Still Pond and Still Pond Creek
  4. Fairlee Creek
  5. Worton Creek outside
  6. Hart & Miller Island near Middle River
That's a few I can think of at the moment...

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Spent the weekend before behind Gibson Island off the Magothy to no jellys, any idea on how far up the bay they have made it?
We were there too, apparently the same weekend (Aug 22-23). Our Bordoodle lives for dinghy rides to shore as well, though he's getting tired of beaches because he gets sand in his mouth when he plays fetch. Be very careful there (and elsewhere) within 48 hours after a hard rainfall. We have learned to bring a bowl and fresh water to shore so our dog doesn't try to drink the seawater.

T37's list is a good one for pet friendly landings. I've been to all of them (and about 20 other less pet friendly ones, contrary to rumor that I never go anywhere :ROFLMAO: ). A couple other good ones for pets:
  • Drum Point on Wye River has easy access to great hiking trails on Wye Island. Anchor in the cove east of the point and dinghy around to the small park beach
  • The point north of Emory's Wharf on the Corsica has a nice little hook-shaped beach, with a tiny "lagoon" behind it. Really cute, though popular with day trippers.
  • I've always been curious about going ashore at the now-confiscated Russian dacha right across the Corsica River. I'd love for my dog to crap on the Russians' beach. :) If you try it, make sure to boast about it here. ;)

Reactions: Jeff356 and T37Chef

·
Administrator
9,181 Posts
Good places with beach access...above the bridge

1. Queenstown Creek off the Chester
  2. Caraway Island up the Chester
  3. Still Pond and Still Pond Creek
  4. Fairlee Creek
  5. Worton Creek outside
  6. Hart & Miller Island near Middle River
That's a few I can think of at the moment...
I would add the beach behind the point at Grays Inn Creek,

I realize that these are south of the bridge but I would also add that there is also an island (peninsula?) on the West branch of the Wye River that has small sandy beach. (There is also lots of raspberry bushes along that beach which was a nice add to our next morning breakfast)

Another set of beaches south of the bridge, are the islands in Edge Creek near the mouth of Santa Domingo Creek off of the Chester River. I have not been there in a while and they were somewhat diminished last time I saw them.

Jeff

Reactions: Jeff356

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
I've have a few questions... I'm thinking about heading up to Port Deposit on the Susquehanna this weekend and maybe the Bohemia. Are there decent protected anchorage in either location you may recommend? 53' air draft. I have never been up to either by sailboat... Years ago in my power boat but...

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I've have a few questions... I'm thinking about heading up to Port Deposit on the Susquehanna this weekend and maybe the Bohemia. Are there decent protected anchorage in either location you may recommend? 53' air draft. I have never been up to either by sailboat... Years ago in my power boat but...
Veazey Cove in Bohemia is very nice and protected from southerlies. Bohemia is famous for shoaling. One time I got an alarm for 3.5' depth - scared the crap out of me, but I later discovered it was a malfunctioning depth sounder.

If you have a hard time getting back to Veazey Cove, you can also stop at Ford Landing. A little less protected, but still OK with southerlies. I suggest using a kellet - last time I was there the current was surprising, and I found my anchor rode running at a very odd angle that could have wrapped the keel if the current shifted. If you are all chain, you probably won't have that problem.

661 - 680 of 724 Posts