SailNet Community banner

681 - 700 of 724 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Give this a shot in this thread since it is focused locally.
We are in the market for a larger boat. Looking for something that has an open transom (easy boarding for us and dog), comfortable for 5 (3 adults two grand kids for two weeks), not too deep of draft (around 5 feet), and 2 heads The Beneteau 411 checks many of the boxes. We live in Maryland, the Solomons. Is there anyone close to us that would be willing to let us take a look at theirs? There was one north of us, 50 or so miles, but she is now under contract and haven't heard back from the broker. Please.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I flew home from work late Friday and it took awhile to get settled and provision on Saturday, so we couldn't leave the dock until almost 5 pm. Given limited destinations reachable before dark, and dead wind, we motored across the bay to Magothy River and Dobbins Island. There was an evening breeze at the Magothy entrance, so we deployed the genoa and cut the motor for an easy sail at the end. We arrived about 7 pm as the party boats were leaving. The anchorage had a dozen boats staying the evening, all quiet, well-spaced, and friendly. We dinghied to shore just before sunset, and were pleased to see a trash-free beach. The partiers must not have been too hammered. We watched a Netflix movie, enjoyed watching Mars right next to the waning moon, and headed to an extremely comfortable sleep with nice breeze all night and only 40% humidity.

We hung around at the anchorage until about 1 pm today, having breakfast and then grilled burgers for lunch. A nice gentle breeze picked up as we raised anchor, and we had a nice easy reach across the Bay. My wife has to work on Labor Day - she teaches (virtually) and it's the first day of classes. I have the day off in theory, but will probably seal the driveway. I look forward to going back to work Tuesday, since I'll need the rest. :p

Reactions: Skipper Jer

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've noticed what might be a new trend on the Chesapeake - mega yachts anchoring overnight. I've been used to seeing them tied up in Annapolis and Baltimore but rarely seen them moored anywhere else. Two weeks ago I saw one anchored in the bay near the eastern shore just south of the Rock Hall harbor. This weekend I saw a different one anchored on the Chester just north of the Queenstown Creek entrance. These are big boats, at least 100'. Has anyone else had any sightings? I guess this is a new way of "gunkholing" for the .01%.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
I've noticed as well... About a 100' yacht in STILL POND CREEK! How the heck did it get in there? Then they dropped about 200' of rode... We left but geez. I would assume it's due to "social distancing".

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
Great four days on the upper bay... More or less a motor boat though.

No landings for dingys in Have De Grace... And not much protected places to anchor so we left and went to the Sassafrass. I wouldn't go back anytime soon... And the power boat traffic was insane in the channel up the Susquehannaa.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great four days on the upper bay... More or less a motor boat though.

No landings for dingys in Have De Grace... And not much protected places to anchor so we left and went to the Sassafrass. I wouldn't go back anytime soon... And the power boat traffic was insane in the channel up the Susquehannaa.
Power boat traffic intense on Sassafras and North East Saturday and Sunday. Looks like pandemics boat sale reports are true. Not sure there was much trading for those new owners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Shawn, several restaurants have dinghy access in HDG and there are several anchorage locations that are completely sheltered from winds and waves, both above the RR Bridge and below. The bridge clearance is just 50 feet, though. Below the bridge, there is a deepwater area that stretches between Stump Point in front of the VA Hospital to Carpenter Point. Depths range from 8 to 20 feet in mid channel and the channel is about 100 yards wide through much of it's length. The only time there is powerboat traffic there is weekends - weekdays are very quiet and you rarely see another boat. There reportedly is a channel that runs about 6 feet deep and very close to shore near Carpenter Point and Charlestown. There is dinghy dockage in Charlestown, where you will find a fantastic waterside restaurant as well, The Wellwood Club. They have the best oysters Rockefeller I have ever tasted anywhere on the planet - yes, they are that good!

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
Yeah but you can't access the restaurant docks unless you eat there... And we were not going to one so... Thatbleaves not public dingy access there which was surprisingly odd. I cannot fit under the bridge. The anchorage although deep... Is not protected in my opinion... Amd closer in there to way to much traffic and wake to be comfortable there... I would not return.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've noticed what might be a new trend on the Chesapeake - mega yachts anchoring overnight. I've been used to seeing them tied up in Annapolis and Baltimore but rarely seen them moored anywhere else. Two weeks ago I saw one anchored in the bay near the eastern shore just south of the Rock Hall harbor. This weekend I saw a different one anchored on the Chester just north of the Queenstown Creek entrance. These are big boats, at least 100'. Has anyone else had any sightings? I guess this is a new way of "gunkholing" for the .01%.
Saw these two in Whitehall bay on Saturday night. Watched another come screaming up Eastern Bay and down the Miles and turn into the Wye on Friday. On plane, towing about a 22ft center console. Impressive. They spent more in fuel in that run than my boat cost I think...

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
29 Posts
The far one in the pic is anchored there most weekends, and has a passel of jetskis that comes with it- my guess is there is a megayacht charter outfit and Whitehall has popped onto the typical itinerary? I know for sailboats, Dream Yacht Charters and CruiseAnnapolis recommend WH for the 1st night out- you can see their flags on the spanky-new Jeanneaus there any given Saturday.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
What an great day to be on the water!

Because I have an afternoon flight tomorrow, I couldn't anchor out tonight (always takes too long to get back and pack up), so it was a simple daysail. It was a perfect day for sailing, with a steady breeze of 10-13 knots and perfectly flat water in the lee of the bay's eastern shore. We didn't even bother with the mainsail - just unfurled the genoa and made 6 knots each way. For reasons that I still do not fully comprehend, our helm is almost perfectly balanced with our 135 unfurled by itself (no main). Occasionally there's a little lee helm, and occasionally there's a little weather helm. But the vast majority of the time, the autopilot tracks with the wheel perfectly straight. We went south to the north entrance of Kent Narrows, then turned around and came back to Rock Hall. Simple sail, simple day, simply wonderful.

EDIT: I should mention that there were sea nettles all over Rock Hall harbor. First time I've seen them there in the five seasons I've had a boat there.

·
Administrator
9,181 Posts
It was a fabulous day to be sailing. I did the NASS Race to the Lighthouses single-hand in CHESSS Class. Early in the day there was lots wind with some big gusts at times. Fortunately the wind has dropped off a little by the spinnaker leg. Although even with the wind decreased there was enough big gusts to keep you on your toes and the knotmeter climbing.

It was amazing to see that many boats turn out, in these times. I think there was over 100 boats in the fleet. I think that it helps that it was an interesting format.

Which all made for great but challenging racing and sailing. Then again every muscle hurts and I am not sure if I will be able to walk tomorrow. Of course, not being able to walk should not prevent me from sailing!
Jeff

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I just had my first sail on the Chesapeake, with my new boat, over the Labor Day weekend. My 28 year old son was with my wife and me, sailing for his first time. We sailed out of the mouth of the Rhode River and just tacked back and forth in the bay, letting my son get used to sailing.

As evening approached, we motored back in the Rhode River and anchored. It was more crowded than I anticipated. We had our first dinner, and first night on the boat, that was away from our slip. Sunday provided very little wind, and we did a slow light wind sail toward Annapolis. We motored partway in, briefly to take a peek and then sailed back past the Thomas Point Lighthouse and back to our slip. Now I'm anxious to get back, and maybe at a time when there is more wind. I was pleased that I managed to make it sailing and motoring those two days, without snagging any of those horrid crab pots, or grounding my 5'9" draft boat in whatever that sludge is that sits at the bottom of the Chesapeake.

I've now had both of my grown kids out sailing, and they are on their way to being sailors.

Bill S/V Sea Scape Bristol 35.5

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
We’re thinking of doing a daysail to Kent Narrows someday, with a stop for lunch. What are the best places to stop, with slips or bulkheads with sufficient draft for a sailboat? Harris Crab House? What else? We’d prefer to stay north of the bridge, since passing under twice in one day is more excitement than I need. 😉

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We’d prefer to stay north of the bridge, since passing under twice in one day is more excitement than I need. 😉
I am far from being a Kent Narrows expert but as far as I can tell, restaurant-wise everything is happening North of the bridges anyway. I seem to remember a new rather big place South but the ones North seemed more 'authentic' whatever that means.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
What kind of restaurant? I've eaten at most all of them through the years. Bridges, Fisherman's and Fisherman's Crab Deck, Narrows Restaurant, Harris Crab House, the Jetty, and Red Eyes as well as Big Als Tiki Bar...

None are that great with exception being Harris does usually have great crabs and good service. Fisherman's is kinda like taking a ride back to 1979 but not the destination seafood restaurant it once was, if you like the usual dated service and food of that era it's fine. Bridges has so much potential to be the best of any Eastern Shore restaurant, great decor and food is the most "innovative" but simply not executed well. The Narrows is similar to Fisherman's with a more Ma and Pa feel and slightly more formal, food and service is okay not anything special. The Jetty and Red Eyes... Well both are really just bars with bar food. Both have live music on most weekends. The Tiki Bar actually has some pretty good food and a great tiki bar feel but again, really nothing special.

As far as docking, I have only ever docked at Harris Crab House. There is room for maybe two 30ish foot boats on the bulkhead and I think three slips which I would not attempt as they are perpendicular to the current. In fact, we ate at Harris a couple weeks ago and tied up to the bulkhead just as a 30 something boat was leaving. I had to have some crabs and they were awesome and service was great, the only place we've eaten out since COVID started.

On a side note, you may be able to snag a slip at Kent Island Yacht Club, the new food service caterer is excellent.

I do not think there is enough water for most sailboats like ours (4'4" draft on my boat) at The Jetty, Fisherman's, Bridges or the Tiki Bar but honestly not sure. That really just leaves Harris and maybe Red Eyes Dock Bar.

All said, and knowing you, aside from Harris for crabs, I think you would enjoy Bridges or The Narrows the most.

I am pretty sure all of them are open year round except Tiki Bar and Red Eyes ... Both close soon, end of Septemberish

If you were to come into Castle Harbor Marina, Cafe Sado has good Sushi and Pour House Pub is decent as well, both located just outside the gate to the marina and bonus... We can say hi and have drink on one of our boats hahaha

One last note, there is nice little Coffee and Ice Cream Shop next to Harris, we go there often by car to snag something.

I hope that was helpful... The restaurant science I kinda like the restaurants on the water in Rockhall...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Thanks for sharing... Great hear you're getting the next generation out 😃
Thanks Chef, it hasn't been easy getting the family on board with my sailing plans. We are all landlocked midwesterners, (except for my wife, who grew up in Eastchester New York, 15 minutes from parts of Long Island Sound, but never set foot on a sailboat. I don't even know how something like that is possible.)

In 2016, I took my wife along on my week-long bareboat skipper's course on a Hunter 31. It was 4 years later before I was able to get my daughter to take one of her breaks from college, to go with me on a charter of a Catalina 34 in Oriental North Carolina. she was actually surprised at how much she loved the boat, and the experience.

Then, a month ago, I bought my Bristol 35.5 and got my son to go with me for the first time on Labor Day weekend. He is now sold on sailing, as well. The kids are actually pretty excited. My wife is still only likely to be a fair-weather sailor.

It has been a journey to get here.

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
29 Posts
Perfect day on the water- wife and I got underway about noon, pumped the holding tank, lunch anchored off Cantler's, then sailed into the USNA seawall (why do I keep heading into the harbor with it's fluky wind and standing wakes??). Friends happened to swing by in their center console, did a photo session, then we headed not-quite closehauled past R88 right up to the E shore at 5.5-6kt with 8-10 true, up to the bridge, then back towards the Hackett's can and Whitehall with the wind dropping to 6-8. Glorious 70s, warm sun, cool breeze, low humidity. Lots of sailboats across the horizon yesterday- we were very happy to see them, and even sail higher/faster than a couple of them ;) Lonnng dinner in Whitehall until sunset, headed up creek and ended up towing in a gentleman in a beautiful Alberg 30 whose Atomic 4 was... uncooperative. Towing, shallow end of the creek, dark, slingshot to the pier... fun stuff. It's good to practice this stuff on occasion.

681 - 700 of 724 Posts