SailNet Community banner

701 - 720 of 724 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
We are most likely going to be looking for a new marina for Spring 2021. Nothing against our current spot, but we'd like to have easier weekend access to a different part of the bay. We want to be on the western shore between Whitehall Creek and the West River. Our priorities are a place that's clean, clean, clean - especially the bathrooms - and well run. A pool is a nice to have, but not a hard requirement. I know this puts us right in the middle of the storm as far as Annapolis pricing, but I know there are some better values outside Spa and Back Creeks.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
My Aunt and Uncle had a 35.5... And I almost purchased one but as you can tell, I choose the Tartan, as it was sail ready the Bristol was not. No regrets, I would have loved the 35.5 as well... Great boats.

You'll get out more I'm sure :)

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
29 Posts
A little outside your search radius, but Magothy Marina in Severna Park meets the other needs. It's a condo marina, so you buy the slip or rent it from the individual owner. 50/50 sail/power, almost all larger/nicer boats. Fuel & pumpout but no shop/lift/storage on-site, which goes a long way towards the sparkling clean part. It's more of a yacht club, in a way. Ferry point, across the creek, has a lift and shop, though (and The Point restaurant). Nice clubhouse, pool, sparkling clean, paved parking lot. It's about 4nm to the mouth of the river, 12.5 around to Greenbury pt- which can be a dealbreaker if you want to mostly head South. We were looking there, but decided on Whitehall bc we prefer to head South.
FWIW we are very happy with Whitehall, especially that it's basically a hurricane hole and the layline from the creek mouth to 2W (and almost to Greenbury) is a perfect close-hauled (pinching a bit) port tack with the prevailing summer breeze. It's plenty clean, efficient, and the owner is always walking the dock and willing to chat. The yard side is run by Hinckley, so it's probably pricey but good quality. We're in the low $3k/yr for 35ft slip on the main pier, no electric, no dinghy storage (they do have racks, and electric is a small extra).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Might be hitching a ride on a boat the start of October out of the Severn as crew, and we're thinking about nice overnight destinations - how is St. Michaels that late in the season? Temps seem dandy, but do all the restaurants, etc., shut down (esp. in this time of Covid)? Seems like a nice easy day across the bay and back.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Might be hitching a ride on a boat the start of October out of the Severn as crew, and we're thinking about nice overnight destinations - how is St. Michaels that late in the season? Temps seem dandy, but do all the restaurants, etc., shut down (esp. in this time of Covid)? Seems like a nice easy day across the bay and back.
St Micheals used to have a big Halloween parade that we'd sail over to see and everything was always still open. I think that unlike some other places on the Bay, St Mikes is a more or less year around town, but COVID may have impacted that some if gets too cool to sit outside.

·
Administrator
9,181 Posts
I used to go to the small craft festival which was usually on the Columbus Day Weekend. The town was completely open. With Covid-19 precautions...who knows?

Reactions: s_ruffner

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wish I could head out this weekend, but my wife is tied up at work. We're planning to be out next weekend, and so far the forecast looks good in terms of sun and warmth, but the wind may not be as good.

Thanks for the feedback on St. Michaels - indeed, hard to know with Covid whether things will be open or whether it will even be desirable to get off the boat!

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
There’s a regatta at St Mike’s this weekend (probably will be crowded, though I’m no expert on the subject), and harbor is exposed to northeasterlies. We’ll probably head for Corsica River this weekend unless we make a last minute change to somewhere else. Might sivert to Quiet Waters Dog Park instead if we get out soon enough.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
@Jeff356 , a couple of weeks ago chef and I totally forgot to recommend Quiet Waters Park to you for your dog. In addition to miles of walking trails, they have a very nice fenced in dog park, plus a dog beach where you can let your dog run without a leash (legally). The beach is on the north shore of the South River. Anchor in Harness Creek, take dinghy to the kayak rental dock, and walk about a mile to the dog park and the beach.

Only negative is that in-season the Creek fills up heavily with day trippers, swimmers, and kayakers on Sat and Sun, but in our experience it clears out at sunset and remains quiet until noon on Sunday. We try to hit the dog park around 8 am, before the park opens to cars. I expect that fall weather will substantially reduce the weekend traffic. We may get there tomorrow.

Reactions: Jeff356

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
Good to know... We were planning to go to St Michaels but if that's happening we'll probably change the plan. Not interested in being in a overly crowded area ;)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Some chilly nights these days on the Chesapeake. We’re on a club cruise from Hances Point YC in North East. Yesterday was all downwind to Cornfield Creek on the Magothy.
Today was a sleigh ride under the Bay Bridge to Bloody Point, then a slog tacking up Eastern Bay to the Wye River ( And a pretty well known “secret anchorage”).
Seems the sun is setting too early, the nights more chilly than usual this time of year. I thought the jelly fish liked warmer days, but hundreds were out today and seemed attracted to the anchor rode as it dropped. Gloves needed for sure when pulling it tomorrow.
St Mikes was my plan for tomorrow but friends who stopped there today for ice and fuel got crap for wearing masks from other boaters. Great spot but not worth aggravation, so destination depends on wind and whim.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Speaking of sun setting early, we had to shorten our plan yesterday because we didn't get to the boat until 3:30, and sun was setting at 7. So instead of Corsica River or Harness Creek, we headed to Queenstown Creek. That little channel is nervewracking. Things were going great on the way in, but all of a sudden the depth alarm went off near G3 saying 5.5'. We only draw 4.5' so were OK, but it scared me a bit about getting out the next day since we were going in very close to high tide. Because of that, we headed out a little earlier than planned this morning to get out at high tide. We didn't see anything under 7' on the way out, even though we were following our "bread crumbs" very closely. Last time we were there was in 2017 and we had no problem, though at that time we passed by a powerboat that was stuck after having found its way to the wrong side of the green can.

Once inside the creek it was absolutely beautiful, and extremely quiet aside from an outdoor wedding that did not run too late. If we hadn't had to rush out due to nervousness over shoaling, we would have stayed longer to explore the scenery and wildlife.

It was a chilly night, but we closed up the hatchboards early to keep the engine heat inside, were very comfortable for the evening. I was pleasantly surprised that we had absolutely no condensation inside the v-berth or the rest of the cabin (as often happens on chilly nights), and our clothes were not at all damp.

Sailing was brisk going in both directions, and we were consistently doing 6.5-7.0 knots on the way back with a reef in the main. We blew past a few larger boats on the way, and not sure why. Maybe our folding prop makes a difference. It was really nice sailing in the lee of Eastern Neck, because the water was very flat considering the wind conditions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't know about the mid to lower bay but the NOAA Marine forecast originally was for 10 knots of wind but we found 15 gusting to 22 at one point out of Middle River Sunday around 3PM.

Sail boaters zooming all around although it was a beat to get out in the bay. Wife liked the broad reach much better on the way in...

Jeff

·
Registered
45 Posts
@Jeff356 , a couple of weeks ago chef and I totally forgot to recommend Quiet Waters Park to you for your dog. In addition to miles of walking trails, they have a very nice fenced in dog park, plus a dog beach where you can let your dog run without a leash (legally). The beach is on the north shore of the South River. Anchor in Harness Creek, take dinghy to the kayak rental dock, and walk about a mile to the dog park and the beach.

Only negative is that in-season the Creek fills up heavily with day trippers, swimmers, and kayakers on Sat and Sun, but in our experience it clears out at sunset and remains quiet until noon on Sunday. We try to hit the dog park around 8 am, before the park opens to cars. I expect that fall weather will substantially reduce the weekend traffic. We may get there tomorrow.
Thanks for the info on how to get your dog in to the beach. Will remember that when / if we get down there again.

We went by on Labor Day weekend and the beach was crowded with people and dogs, we were contemplating anchoring and dinghying in but ended up going to Church Creek and found a small beach by a kayak launching...

Jeff

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
Got a later than usual start Saturday so instead of the planned weekend in St. Michael's we went up the Chester to Cacaway Island. Turned out to be the better choice anyway. It's always a lovely place to spend on the hook but even more in the Fall I think. We tacked a few times up the Chester but the kids we anxious to explore therefore we motored the rest. Winds calmed by dusk and we went ashore on the island and enjoyed a campfire on the peninsula beach area. Was absolutely perfect evening.

Saturday night was a little chilly by dawn... Well at least for the kids... We were toasty ;)

We enjoyed a wonderful sail back Sunday under the genny alone. Did a few tacks while we enjoyed lunch than headed in for the day.

Full boat for the weekend too! 6 humans 5 females and me... God help me hahahahaha

Welcome to Fall Sailing on the Chesapeake 2020 :)

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
BTW... We go into Queenstown Creek several times a year... It can be a little tricky but as said, once inside there is 8 to 10 feet, well protected from all directions and absolutely beautiful.

The shoal off the peninsula to port as you turn left/North comes out much further than one might expect, stay closer to the duck blind than the point. That said, I have beached the boat there on the inside of the point, on purpose.

On the South side or Queenstown Harbor there is a public dock you can tie a dingy up to and walk into town. Fuel is about a 15 minute walk in case you run low on gas for the outboard... Not that I have done that hahaha.

Working this Saturday so IF we get out it will just be a day sail or boat project day.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Trying to decide whether to go to Annapolis on Saturday and return on Sunday or just do a quick trip across to Rock Hall. Forecast winds look reasonable for either destination. We would do the Magothy but our guests are interested in land based "facilities" once we get to our destination.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think we're heading from Deltaville to Reedville tomorrow and then, depending on WX, up to St. Marys - braving the mouth of the Potomac for the first trip - tides are right for our travel times. Back to Mill Creek on the Great Wicomico Saturday adn then home to Stingray Point on Sunday.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't think the mouth of the Potomac will be a problem for you on Friday. When we go from Reedville to the Potomac we usually take the shortcut behind the Smith Point light. Plenty of water there and saves some time. It can be a long slog to St Mary's so don't discount Smith Creek for an anchorage if needed.

I think my crew and I will spend most of the weekend at Little Bay.

701 - 720 of 724 Posts