SailNet Community banner

721 - 740 of 760 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I think we're heading from Deltaville to Reedville tomorrow and then, depending on WX, up to St. Marys - braving the mouth of the Potomac for the first trip - tides are right for our travel times. Back to Mill Creek on the Great Wicomico Saturday adn then home to Stingray Point on Sunday.
We did a trip down to Cape Charles over Labor Day week and stopped at Reedville in both directions. The plan heading home was Reedville to Solomon's Thursday, but strong northerlies were forecast for Friday, while Thursday the wind was out of the south and softening late in the day and evening, so we made a quick fuel stop in Solomon's and trucked on home to West River. Our timing for the fuel stop couldn't have been better as we trailed a shower across Pax River heading in and watched and heard the thunder cracking over Solomon's as we headed back out around 4PM. 15 hours underway, arriving at our slip around 11PM.

The next day Cove Point was reporting wind from 360 at 20G25. It would not have been a good day crossing the Potomac or going north and Saturday wasn't much better, so as exhausted as we were, the long day was the right choice for our situation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Trying to decide whether to go to Annapolis on Saturday and return on Sunday or just do a quick trip across to Rock Hall. Forecast winds look reasonable for either destination. We would do the Magothy but our guests are interested in land based "facilities" once we get to our destination.
We're also trying to decide between a sail to Rock Hall or Annapolis this Saturday/Sunday. Due to guests coming along we're unable to head out until somewhat into the afternoon so we probably decide based on the wind! :cool:

We did the Delmarva Loop over Labor Day weekend, starting from Middle River, to Chesapeake City, to Lewes, a 33 hour sail later and anchored in Reedville, then Solomons, Annapolis, and back home. This was our first and we're working the build up to more coastal excursions.

I'm not generally the most chatty forum member, LOL, but I'm working on it.

~John

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
30 Posts
Trying to decide whether to go to Annapolis on Saturday and return on Sunday or just do a quick trip across to Rock Hall. Forecast winds look reasonable for either destination. We would do the Magothy but our guests are interested in land based "facilities" once we get to our destination.
If "facilities" means bar/food, ~4nm up river from Dobbins is The Point restaurant. Pretty good bar, plenty of transient docking. Also have Donnely's Dockside up Deep Creek, right across from Dobbins- quieter place than The Point, which is pretty lively.

·
Registered
429 Posts
"If "facilities" means bar/food..."

Actually it means the other type of facilities...:(

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
We're also trying to decide between a sail to Rock Hall or Annapolis this Saturday/Sunday. Due to guests coming along we're unable to head out until somewhat into the afternoon so we probably decide based on the wind! :cool:

We did the Delmarva Loop over Labor Day weekend, starting from Middle River, to Chesapeake City, to Lewes, a 33 hour sail later and anchored in Reedville, then Solomons, Annapolis, and back home. This was our first and we're working the build up to more coastal excursions.

I'm not generally the most chatty forum member, LOL, but I'm working on it.

~John
A Delmarva trip is still on my list.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Not shaping up as a good weekend for sailing. Forecast winds are pretty much nonexistent 😩

·
Registered
36 Posts
I look forward to seeing the posts about everyone circling the Delmarva! We were super excited and a bit nervous about our first time around.

We decided this past weekend, with little wind forecasted and the rain that really didn't seem to want to go away, was not a great way to spend it with daughter home from school.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, we made it out but of course, because this was our planned/scheduled (months in advance) window, of course the forecast turned poor the day before our departure. Rain, but no wind. I think in four days, we got about four hours of actual sailing in and spend the rest of the time motoring in perfectly flat water.

We did a trip down to Cape Charles over Labor Day week and stopped at Reedville in both directions.
Reedville was nice, but not necessarily a repeat destination any time soon - apparently (from what others tell us) we were fortunate that the wind was non-existent or blowing another direction and we didn't catch the factory smell. The marina bath facilities at the Crazy Crab (not open on Thursday!) left a bit to be desired, but we had a nice dinner at a well-distanced and masked Reedville Market. The fisherman's museum was good fun for the kiddo and interesting for us - not sure we're fans of industrial scale extraction but it was interesting to learn the back story on something I'd only vaguely understood as a life-long Virginian.

Lots of motoring in the mist and fog.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You should have been at Little Bay Sunday afternoon. Just beautiful with sunshine and dolphins.
Someone who came in about two hours after us mentioned this - the clouds parted and the winds picked up just as we entered Broad Creek...I wish we could have extended the trip by a day, winds were really nice today and the sun was out.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Well, we made it out but of course, because this was our planned/scheduled (months in advance) window, of course the forecast turned poor the day before our departure. Rain, but no wind. I think in four days, we got about four hours of actual sailing in and spend the rest of the time motoring in perfectly flat water.

Reedville was nice, but not necessarily a repeat destination any time soon - apparently (from what others tell us) we were fortunate that the wind was non-existent or blowing another direction and we didn't catch the factory smell. The marina bath facilities at the Crazy Crab (not open on Thursday!) left a bit to be desired, but we had a nice dinner at a well-distanced and masked Reedville Market. The fisherman's museum was good fun for the kiddo and interesting for us - not sure we're fans of industrial scale extraction but it was interesting to learn the back story on something I'd only vaguely understood as a life-long Virginian.

Lots of motoring in the mist and fog.
Yeah, Reedville was nicer than we expected, but that is not why it was chosen for a repeat visit. We chose to stop there again, because it was as far north from Cape Charles as we could get in a reasonable number of hours and it put us in reach of Solomon's in a reasonable time for the next day. We also wanted to fill up with diesel which we were unable to accomplish. That necessitated a stop in Solomon's, even though we'd made the decision to continue home on Thursday.

On the way down, we walked around the mostly closed town and had dinner at Crazy Crab (mediocre) but barely stepped off the boat on the way home. (Yes, the bathhouse at Crazy Crab is among the worst we've encountered.) The expected rain set in overnight Wednesday/Thursday (so we wanted to have AC for AC as it was still hot) and it stayed with us until near dark Thursday, well north of Solomon's so we were in endure mode vs. enjoy mode for much of the trip home from CC.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, Reedville was nicer than we expected, but that is not why it was chosen for a repeat visit. We chose to stop there again, because it was as far north from Cape Charles as we could get in a reasonable number of hours and it put us in reach of Solomon's in a reasonable time for the next day. We also wanted to fill up with diesel which we were unable to accomplish.
Huh, we (along with a Moody 40 from MD) were tied up at the dock, and it seemed they had diesel...I didn't need to fill, but while there was no attendant, everything seemed to be on the honor system - we left our slip fee in the dropbox at the Crazy Crab. I was surprised to read that the Crazy Crab was rated the best restaurant in Reedville, but that may be just relative. I completely understand about wanting the AC!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Huh, we (along with a Moody 40 from MD) were tied up at the dock, and it seemed they had diesel...I didn't need to fill, but while there was no attendant, everything seemed to be on the honor system - we left our slip fee in the dropbox at the Crazy Crab. I was surprised to read that the Crazy Crab was rated the best restaurant in Reedville, but that may be just relative. I completely understand about wanting the AC!
We called and spoke the owner on the way in to Reedville and, though he informed us they were closed, he told us he'd come down that evening to let us buy fuel, for which we were very appreciative. He never showed. We called again after dark, and he said he'd come in the AM. I told him twice that we needed to be underway at 8am as we had a long way to go and he said no problem. At 8:15, he still hadn't shown up. At 8:20, I was underway.

If he'd said he couldn't help us on first contact, I would have gone somewhere else, either stopping short at Deltaville or pushing on to Point Lookout Marina, both places I know well. I didn't start off with a cheerful disposition that day.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah, Reedville was nicer than we expected, but that is not why it was chosen for a repeat visit. We chose to stop there again, because it was as far north from Cape Charles as we could get in a reasonable number of hours and it put us in reach of Solomon's in a reasonable time for the next day. We also wanted to fill up with diesel which we were unable to accomplish. That necessitated a stop in Solomon's, even though we'd made the decision to continue home on Thursday.

On the way down, we walked around the mostly closed town and had dinner at Crazy Crab (mediocre) but barely stepped off the boat on the way home. (Yes, the bathhouse at Crazy Crab is among the worst we've encountered.) The expected rain set in overnight Wednesday/Thursday (so we wanted to have AC for AC as it was still hot) and it stayed with us until near dark Thursday, well north of Solomon's so we were in endure mode vs. enjoy mode for much of the trip home from CC.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had a very similar experience at the Crazy Crab marina about 7 years ago. Looks like they aren't burdened with striving for excellence.

I think the facilities in most modern boats are much nicer than at most marinas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We ended up nix'ing the weekend sail, partially due to the weather forecast. My daughter doesn't really like to do overnights and since she was visiting from school I wanted to spend time with her.

When we anchored in Reedville it seemed like all the restaurants were closed. We weren't sure where a dinghy dock was located to go ashore and look around. Perhaps someone could advise if there are places worth visiting in Reedville?

Here is where we ended up, our first time ever passing through it was actually just happenstance that we went up there as I was looking for someplace with deep water after a long night and day of cruising.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
We ended up nix'ing the weekend sail, partially due to the weather forecast. My daughter doesn't really like to do overnights and since she was visiting from school I wanted to spend time with her.

When we anchored in Reedville it seemed like all the restaurants were closed. We weren't sure where a dinghy dock was located to go ashore and look around. Perhaps someone could advise if there are places worth visiting in Reedville?

Here is where we ended up, our first time ever passing through it was actually just happenstance that we went up there as I was looking for someplace with deep water after a long night and day of cruising.

View attachment 137086
The Crazy Crab is at the tip of the point to the west of your anchorage if its closed, I wouldn't hesitate to tie my dinghy there for a short visit. Walking up the main street from the Crab is a nice walk, with some neat antebellum homes, including the Home of Elijah Reed the founder the Menhaden business that the Town grew up around. Supposedly the house has a mast from one of his schooners right up the middle of the interior but you can't tell from outside.

There is a museum but it was closed when we were there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Crazy Crab is at the tip of the point to the west of your anchorage if its closed, I wouldn't hesitate to tie my dinghy there for a short visit. Walking up the main street from the Crab is a nice walk, with some neat antebellum homes, including the Home of Elijah Reed the founder the Menhaden business that the Town grew up around. Supposedly the house has a mast from one of his schooners right up the middle of the interior but you can't tell from outside.

There is a museum but it was closed when we were there.
Okay, thank you! We saw what appeared to be a tiny marina(?) there but there was nothing and no one around that we observed. With the exception of another sailboat nearby, who was closer to that spot, no others. That was when we pulled out our phones and started using Google Maps and all restauarants near enough to walk to (not hike) were shut down. It was middle of the week, and rain on the horizon, so we stayed put and relaxed.

721 - 740 of 760 Posts