SailNet Community banner

741 - 760 of 760 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
We were there on a Thursday, and The Reedville Market was open, but the Crazy Crab and the ice cream place were not (and my 5yo was bummed). The museum was open, and while it's a mish-mash of "treasures" (some more so than others) donated by various people, it is an interesting and cool place to hang out for a bit. The houses on the main drag are indeed amazing. We tied up at about 1:30PM and walked to dinner at 6:30 and that was ample time, IMO to see|do everything. The town really is shut down now that we're out of peak season + covid.

I too would not hesitate to dock at the CC if they were not open. When we docked, the marina owner (or operator, not sure), just asked that we not block the pumps. The dockside was nicer than the slips were.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If he'd said he couldn't help us on first contact, I would have gone somewhere else, either stopping short at Deltaville or pushing on to Point Lookout Marina, both places I know well. I didn't start off with a cheerful disposition that day.
Based on this visit, I think for our next trip we'll aim for point lookout on the first day, and then Solomon's the 2nd, depending on the wind.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its doubtful, but possible, we'll check it out again one day but St Mary's is more likely the destination. For that I will have to get some better walking/hiking shoes.

We do enjoy Solomon's, anchored or slip, we love hopping around by dinghy to enjoy a beverage and app at various locations. That's actually a favorite past time, hopping around. sigh 😟 I'm ready to head back!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hear that Solomons is not a very covid friendly place.
Yes, I've heard this here at least. We have an acquaintance who is at the Beacon Marina and we might visit him, but probably would not opt for dining out. I quite like the CD cafe there, but it's indoors and the space is tight. The tiki bar seems like a nightmare under the circumstances.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hear that Solomons is not a very covid friendly place.
The day we spent in Solomon's it was tricky to say whether they were being smart about the Coronavirus in terms of masks and social distancing because it was a weekday a bit overcast and wet, not very many people at all. That evening we went to dinner, we actually forgot to grab masks before getting aboard the dinghy. The Lighthouse Restuarant and Dock Bar provided masks for us at the door thankfully. There was no wait list, we would have gone back had there been people standing around waiting for a table.

I can only relate our experience, don't want to cast shade on them beyond what I saw myself.

What struck us however was earlier when we were walking around, we did remember the masks then. Were the bugs (roaches?)!! They have a serious problem. We pulled up a Stoney's Dockfishers and tied up, put on masks, got off the dinghy. We took a couple steps when I realized I needed to tie my shoe. While I was leaning over on the side of the building we noticed hundreds of crawling bugs, guessing roaches, I didn't get close, we got back on the dinghy and left. Then we went down to the public pier down near Tiki and from there walked up and back. On the way back we crossed the street heading towards The Pier Restaurant. All the way down that pier, there were bugs crawling all over.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What struck us however was earlier when we were walking around, we did remember the masks then. Were the bugs (roaches?)!! They have a serious problem
Ha! We saw tons of some kind of bug at Reedville, down by the water, that my son was calling 'water roaches' - they were living in/hiding under the rocks. I don't know that they really were either roaches or the giant water bugs I used to see in Miami.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
What can people tell me about passing out past the Port Henry bridge, to the "outside"? Is there a regular current? What are the currents like during the tide transitions?
Whats on the other side?
Thanks.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,291 Posts
Well I thought the weekend on the bay was going to be windless but turn out to be better than we expected. Beautiful sunny days and although not much wind... Enough to keep us sailing. Saturday we left later than normal and sailed up to Reed Creek off the Chester. We had not been in there in a while... I forgot what a pretty Creek it is. Several sailboats anchored, maybe 15 and 5 or so power. Out in the middle of the Chester, was Silver Shalis, a 180' yacht owned by Larry Silverstein. Seems he and the yacht are spending some time on the bay. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2017/10/05/heres-who-owns-the-180-foot-yacht-docked-at-the.amp.html

Today we had a wonderful leisurely and swirly sail home. Temps were perfect. Of course winds picked up nicely around 3:00 just as we had to head in.

Cooked some awesome Swordfish Saturday evening, lime and garlic marinade amd served it with one of the kids favorites... Black beans, corn, rice and roasted red pepper coulis.

Can't wait for next weekend hahaha

·
Registered
394 Posts
Wow, almost two weeks with no one posting. I hope you are all enjoying the bay as much as I have been this fall.
we'll be heading out tomorrow for a few days on the Rappahanock and the bay. Looks like light winds but pleasant temperatures and plenty of sun. Hope others are out there as well.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Shawn and Dave, our resident chefs, last night I cooked some Karabuta Pork Chops - WOW! You would not believe the flavor - this is the best chop I have tasted in my entire life and I highly recommend it. You can find them at Snake River Farms online and though they are expensive, they are well worth it. WOW!

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,291 Posts
That's awesome Gary... Snake River Farms has become excellent purveyors of fine products.... Not surprised they were tasty ;) I have a tendency to shop local more than brand and sometimes I'm disappointed in the outcome haha... Cheers

I saw a post on here that 2020 may be the most dreadful sailing season in 35 years... Not for me... If anything it's been just as good or better than normal and we intend to keep it that way haha... Tomorrow we think we'll head South... Maybe the Eye or Miles. Have fun out there

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
The season’s winding down fast. We did a nice overnight on Magothy two weeks ago, and a nice daysail last Saturday. The days are getting shorter, so we haven’t been able to go back south of the Bay Bridge like we hoped.

Like Shawn, I think it’s been a really good year for sailing. IMO it was probably dreadful for the hard core partiers who didn’t want to practice distancing.

We’re packing it in a little early this year. Tomorrow morning I’ll leave Rock Hall, singlehanding to Chesapeake City, the first half of my annual 2-day trip closer to home for haulout. Timing of this trip is always tricky due to need to coordinate work schedule and tidal currents through the canal. Next window would have been later in the season than I wanted, hence the early out.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,291 Posts
What a beautiful weekend out... We left Saturday morning and enter Kent Narrows from the Chester and onto St. Michaels. Winds were perfect for our sail down Prospect Bay amd the Miles and again on Sunday headed home... Well the wind died around 2:00 but overall very nice. We went into town briefly with the kids but didn't stay long nor enter anyplace... However we were all impressed with the signage about wearing masks and how well people were abiding by the "rules".

As the season is coming to an end... I have to say... We are so fortunate to have a boat and are able to enjoy it even during a world pandemic... In fact there are not many places I would rather be than on a boat away from people. The only time all season we went into a town was this past in St. Michaels and once to Annapolis... The rest of our weekends were mostly uncrowded anchorages and few boats.

I'm hoping we can sail and enjoy the weather at least through Thanksgiving... Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
What a beautiful weekend out... We left Saturday morning and enter Kent Narrows from the Chester and onto St. Michaels. Winds were perfect for our sail down Prospect Bay amd the Miles and again on Sunday headed home... Well the wind died around 2:00 but overall very nice. We went into town briefly with the kids but didn't stay long nor enter anyplace... However we were all impressed with the signage about wearing masks and how well people were abiding by the "rules".

As the season is coming to an end... I have to say... We are so fortunate to have a boat and are able to enjoy it even during a world pandemic... In fact there are not many places I would rather be than on a boat away from people. The only time all season we went into a town was this past in St. Michaels and once to Annapolis... The rest of our weekends were mostly uncrowded anchorages and few boats.

I'm hoping we can sail and enjoy the weather at least through Thanksgiving... Fingers crossed.
Hey @T37Chef, it was good seeing you on your boat a week ago (Saturday) in Rock Hall. We were coming in from our daysail. Did you stay there overnight, or just pass through briefly?

Reactions: T37Chef

·
Advanced beginner
338 Posts
We took a five-day trip from Herring Bay around the Choptank, mostly anchored behind St. Michaels in some of the nicest October weather I've ever seen. My first time getting to the Eastern Shore in my own boat and it won't be the last. It was also really nice to get away mid-week instead of cheek-to-jowl in popular anchorages on every nice weekend this summer.

My first time through Knapps Narrows and it was nice to have an on-demand drawbridge and a newly dredged channel. Seems like it might be less fun in serious wind or current, or when the channel starts to shoal again.

St. Michaels was taking good covid precautions, signs everywhere to mask up and everyone keeping good distance from other parties. But it was even nicer to just be on our own boat at anchor, no mask, no worries.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,291 Posts
Hey @T37Chef, it was good seeing you on your boat a week ago (Saturday) in Rock Hall. We were coming in from our daysail. Did you stay there overnight, or just pass through briefly?
We had stayed in Swan Creek the night before and went into Rockhall to get a margarita at Harbor Shack then we sailed over to Broad Creek on the Magothy... Was great seeing you as well... Although I didn't notice until you yelled out haha... Your boat looked great!

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Emcentar, having transited the narrows in less than favorable conditions, I can assure you it was a bit scary. The wind was a bit stiff from the southwest,and the tide was screaming out. The bridge attendant was not responsive to my radio calls or horn blasts and though I was in full reverse, the boat was still slowly moving toward the draw span. When I was just 50 feet from the bridge, I shifted to forward, turned the helm hard to port and hit full throttle. I was battling a serious tidal current, but manage to get the boat out of harm's way. Finally, the bridge attendant responded to the radio call and said he was just finishing up his supper and didn't notice me. I have not been through Knapps Narrows since.

Shawn, when I was a newly wed, I kept a boat in Deep Creek at the first marina on the right as you enter the creek. My wife and I frequently ate dinner at the restaurant located a couple hundred yards up the creek, which at the time had a fried soft crab dinner for $2. Things sure have changed since 1962.

Gary :cool:

·
Advanced beginner
338 Posts
Emcentar, having transited the narrows in less than favorable conditions, I can assure you it was a bit scary. The wind was a bit stiff from the southwest,and the tide was screaming out. The bridge attendant was not responsive to my radio calls or horn blasts and though I was in full reverse, the boat was still slowly moving toward the draw span. When I was just 50 feet from the bridge, I shifted to forward, turned the helm hard to port and hit full throttle. I was battling a serious tidal current, but manage to get the boat out of harm's way. Finally, the bridge attendant responded to the radio call and said he was just finishing up his supper and didn't notice me. I have not been through Knapps Narrows since.
Good to know! Sometimes I worry I'm overly cautious for a sailor, but I was careful to avoid strong current and hailed the bridge operator earlier in the channel than other boats appeared to. Your story makes me feel better for being a pananoid noob :p

741 - 760 of 760 Posts