SailNet Community banner

761 - 780 of 809 Posts

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,307 Posts
Just amazing out today... Temps in the 70s... Great wind... And our anchorage all to ourselves!

The cold front is on its way however... :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Could you guys keep the warm weather? The next time I'm able to come there will be at Thanksgiving. Currently, the long-range prediction predicts temperatures cold enough at night that I will need to head back to the dock to plug-in some heat.

·
Advanced beginner
401 Posts
Just amazing out today... Temps in the 70s... Great wind... And our anchorage all to ourselves!

The cold front is on its way however... :)
I'm jealous! I headed out yesterday too expecting one last great sailing day before the cold blew in. Instead, although it was nice and breezy in Herring Bay, once I got out in the Bay itself, the wind became light and fluky, shifting from the NE to E to SE before dying altogether. Couldn't even relax for a nice motor sail with the wind constantly changing direction. Looked at my wind map later and sure enough, it showed a light swirling bowl in the Bay outside Herrington, and I'd only checked the wind conditions in Herring Bay. Lesson learned.

Worse, it was blowing just hard enough back in the marina, with enough boats headed back at the same time to make for one of the most trying experiences I've ever getting back in my slip. Eventually had to go bow in and was constantly nervous about hitting either of my new boat neighbors, who are both sticking out of their slips into the fairway. I need to get out again just to shake off the whole experience.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Planning for our last trip of the season, and thinking about the Little Wicomico. What is the bar like outside the channel? We draw 5.5'. Just looking to anchor out.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,307 Posts
Late start Saturday and a drizzly day Sunday... Sadly... I think for the first time this year we didn't bother to sail... Just motor to the anchorage and back... Haha... We still enjoyed being out regardless ;) Reed Creek and back... Still pleasurable

·
Registered
40 Posts
We spent the weekend a week ago anchored in Rock Hall again with around 6-8 other boats. We walked over to the Harbor Shack after realizing the Passages place appeared shut down for the season (I guess). Harbor Shack was hopping, but everyone appeared to be following the rules of masks and distancing. This past weekend we wanted to be out, but plans made before cut deeply into our ability to make it happen.

Wondering how many folks here leave their boat in for the winter versus the haul out? Though it looks like this thread has lost some attention. Plus its interesting conversation starter I suppose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Planning for our last trip of the season, and thinking about the Little Wicomico. What is the bar like outside the channel? We draw 5.5'. Just looking to anchor out.
Are you still planning on this? I'd love to hear about it, especially since we draw the same pretty much.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,357 Posts
It was a bit of a disappointing weekend for me. Saturday there was not enough wind to actually sail. Sunday once the rain died was a wild and wooly sail with a lumpy beat upwind followed by a high speed reach back home. Still it was nice to be out on the water.

Jeff

·
Advanced beginner
401 Posts
'Wild and wooly' is right. Wasn't it gale force winds on the Bay yesterday?

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,357 Posts
'Wild and wooly' is right. Wasn't it gale force winds on the Bay yesterday?
I was not out that long. When I was out there is was blowing maybe 20 knots with higher gusts and some high-teen lulls. I probably should have reefed but beating I just feathered up in the gusts and reaching, I just bore away and roared off with it. I had the boat put to bed before it got really crazy. Not long after I got back to the dock, I think that Thomas Point showed gusts into the high 30's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yesterday was really blustery wind, overnight into today too. At least now its sunny, but pretty chilly. Looking forward to some warmer weather coming towards the weekend though.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Sailing season in Rock Hall (about 2 hours away from home) is over for me, but with the boat on the hard about 10 minutes away from my home, winterization, maintenance, and upgrade season is well underway. Each fall I wonder whether it's worth spending two days to bring the boat close to home, and each winter I end up having to do something where I need to make multiple unexpected trips to shuttle tools or supplies for a project, and I'm relieved to have the boat close to home. And, frankly, despite all the boat club politics, I've come to appreciate my club's boat yard, with electric panel and water directly adjacent to my boat and a laissez faire attitude toward DIY work that allows me to do things that commercial yards would hassle me over, and do them at any hour of the day (including after dark, which is almost required to coordinate with my work schedule). I especially came to appreciate this a couple years ago when I had to be hauled out for repairs at a commercial yard, which had only one electric outlet and water tap (both 200' from my boat), no admittance allowed after dark, and they used only 4 stands to prop up my 34' boat. (At my "home yard" I provide my own stands, and I have 8 of them. At $408/year for haulout/storage/launch, buying the stands has long since paid for itself.)

While some of you really like the "livelier" conditions this time of year, I tend to get a little tired of sailing by mid-October, due in part to the fast shortening days. Bringing the boat up to the top of the Bay and through the canal always requires careful timing for the currents, and a little luck with the lunar cycle and wind direction to ensure a high enough tide to get my boat into the lift well. Two weeks ago I had nearly perfect conditions to motor my boat home (not enough wind to sail, unfortunately) and hauled out on Sunday at high tide 2 hours after I arrived at the club. (Almost too quick, since I needed time to drop/bag the sails and remove the dinghy.) My original plan had been to bring her home this past weekend, and it would have been a fiasco with cold, wind-blown downpours yesterday, dangerous gusts today, and weak tides later this week that would have prevented me from getting hauled (not to mention the uncertain schedule potentially interfering with me getting home to vote tomorrow). I have no regrets for calling it quits a couple weeks earlier than originally planned this year.

Even with the boat out of the water this year, I enjoy heading down each evening after work to knock off a couple items from my punch list.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,307 Posts
I would agree... The short days are the primary reason for ending the season... Not the weather by any means. But... I have this desire to get my "money's worth" hahaha

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
I would agree... The short days are the primary reason for ending the season... Not the weather by any means. But... I have this desire to get my "money's worth" hahaha
If I lived closer to the Bay, I would leave her in until late November, or maybe even all winter.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I live about a 5 minute walk from my sailboat. We always do the Parade of lighted boats in early December which usually shortly thereafter marks the end of the season for us. I leave her in the water as I can keep a close eye on her. We were sailing last February just before Covid hit and the governor restricted recreational boating. I'll do a week long haul in early spring to put a coat of paint on the bottom and wax the hull.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
A dockmate had to adjust my stern lines for me. All that wind blowing the water out of West River combined with low tide, left the stern of my boat almost hanging on the lines. They were near bar tight, but he was able to slack them to get the weight off before a cleat ripped out of the boat. I'll head over later this week to check and readjust them when things are a bit more normal.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Up on the Delaware River where I store on the hard, high tide yesterday was 2.5' below normal. Today it was 2' below normal.

Make sure to go back and tighten your spring lines back up when the tide comes in, otherwise you'll end up like this guy:

761 - 780 of 809 Posts