SailNet Community banner

781 - 800 of 809 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Looks like a beautiful weekend on the bay coming up. With or without wind.

I'll be spending some time prettying up the old Pearson getting her ready to sell. A really good deal on a Catalina 34 has come along. I'll miss all the compliments the old Wanderer has gotten but I'm also looking forward to some more room and certain creature comforts that come with a 30 year younger boat.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Reactions: oldlaxer1

·
Registered
405 Posts
Crazy. Down here I'm told it was blowing 15. I know there were whitecaps on the Rappahanock and the sailing was great for about three hours. Just a great day.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Even though the winds were pretty much non-existent yesterday we had some friends down and took a lovely tour of the harbor and Ft. McHenry basin. It was a gift to have the beautiful weather in November.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Sailing season is over for us, and we're into winter projects. I changed oil/filter/transmission oil and winterized the raw water system and air conditioning last week. Potable water will be winterized next week. I tried to pay them for my haulout, but the clubhouse is closed until further notice (COVID infection in the club).

We spent the beautiful day Saturday looking at waterfront property for our future retirement. We saw a beautiful property with deep water slip on St. Leonard Creek. The house is a spectacular design and only 30 years old, but needs about $200,000 worth of repairs due to semi-hidden rot issues from water intrusion (not unlike what happens to neglected boats). This is an estate sale and they've been trying to sell it for over 2 years. It just came on the market Friday after having been pulled off the market 4 times before. We weren't prepared to make an offer on the spot (since we're just getting started), and the broker claims to have 3 offers already. We'll see whether those offers are accepted, or he's just trying to create a feeding frenzy. Hard to take him seriously when they keep taking it off the market and putting it back on. (If it were a boat, I'd suspect it had failed its survey.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are you still planning on this? I'd love to hear about it, especially since we draw the same pretty much.
After spending much time consulting the latest NOAA bathymetry data I could find, and asking others around the marina, I decided not to venture in there. It has really reconfirmed my desire to find a shoal draft boat, because in searching for places that were within reasonable daylight travel for us, there just aren't enough great options. To name a few: Little Wicomico/Smith Point, Davis Creek in Mobjack Bay, Horn Harbor and Smith Creek/Jutland Creek. There are a few creeks we can get into now that I'd be tempted by but the deeper water is fairly narrow. I don't know if shaving off .75' of keel is really going to make that big a difference, but I defnitely see why a 6.5' keel is not so desirable. We spent the night in Point Comfort Bight outside of Davis Creek in Mobjack Bay this past Saturday, which was just fine because it was so calm, but it wasn't the most protected place. I wonder what people have to say about Cornfield Harbor? Seems like it would be OK except for strong southerlies.

In any case, we had a very calm four days, motoring almost the entire time, because it was practically glassy. Heavy fog Saturday AM, and we bailed on our planned stop at Cape Charles as a result (afraid to try to cross without AIS in the fog). The boat is supposed to be in the water until after Thanksgiving, not sure we'll head out again.

EDIT: I should have added on the places I want to go that are too shallow: the Hole in the Wall at Milford Haven. We did watch the survey boat doing sweeps there on Sunday.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
This time of year is when I would motor slowly to the Concrete Liberty Ships at Kiptopeke and fish for tautog, which I consider among the best tasting fish on the planet. They dine on tiny, blue mussels that attach to the concrete ship hulls that form the breakwater for the old Kiptopeke Ferry. Some of the tautog weighed as much as 12 pounds and I usually caught them using pieces of hard shell crab for bait. Another abundant species this time of year, at the same location, was flounder, some of which tipped the scales at 5 or more pounds.

Now, I was able to easily access all the creeks you mentioned with my 33 Morgan Out Island, which only drew 4 feet. Near the mouth of Smith Creek, I frequently trolled small silver spoons and caught Spanish mackerel and mid size bluefish. At the end of the day, I would ease into the creek, over the shallow bar at the mouth, and spend the evening anchored about a quarter mile up the creek in a relatively shallow cove. The skeeters were horrendous there much of the time, but I had a screen cockpit enclosure that kept them at bay.

Sure miss that old Morgan a lot, but at least I still have all those wonderful memories and photos.

Good luck,

Gary

·
Registered
66 Posts
This time of year is when I would motor slowly to the Concrete Liberty Ships at Kiptopeke and fish for tautog, which I consider among the best tasting fish on the planet. They dine on tiny, blue mussels that attach to the concrete ship hulls that form the breakwater for the old Kiptopeke Ferry.
I had no idea those ships were there! Very neat! That has to be one of the ugliest grouper looking fish I have ever seen, but tasty is tasty. You mentioned the Mackerel at Smith Point before - I was tempted for that reason to try to stop there. We do not have a screen enclosure! That's another item on the wish list, but could have made do with the porthole and companionway screens.

That seems like a very comfy boat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a nice 30 footer with 3.5 ft draft for sale. Just sayin'.
Heh, yep, when I started down this path, a Pearson 30 was recommended to me - I had been looking more at a Pearson 10M, but two things: as you noted about your prospective C34, a slightly more modern boat (and amenities) is of interest. Among the many requirements to satisfy are those of my wife's, which include something "less cramped" than the 32' we're using now, and also something which is less likely to consume "project" time (I'm assuming your Pearson is turn-key and ready to go, but also older than I am by a year). I originally was looking in earnest for a C30 tall rig, but at this point I'm really thinking more along the lines of a 38-42' boat, built after ~2000. I should probably get more comfortable with the idea of a keel/CB or swing-keel boat, but I'm not quite yet. I have to say: the Wanderer does nicely address the draft problem, and also the sea-kindly issue.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Here's a link to my 33 Morgan Out Island, which had more interior room than most 41-footers, It had a full keel, rarely heeled more than 5 degrees because of it's wide beam, yet it still sliced through waves and was very dry riding.

And for those that claim the Morgan 33 OI is a slow sailing boat, well, I seemed to always manage to keep up with the so called fast boats. Check this out:

Gary

·
Registered
66 Posts
I enjoyed watching both of those videos! Nice! I don't think I had appreciated that the Out Island had a 12' beam! I can see it's roomy, and also seems to have a quite dedicated following.

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
34 Posts
GREAT day out there today! It's been over a month since we were out. Lots of people at the marina closing things up for the winter as we headed out around 1pm. About 2doz sailboats visible this afternoon between the Bay bridge and Thomas Pt., not including the dinghy racers close in. Almost as many sailboats as you might see on a summer afternoon! A perfect reach out from Whitehall to Thomas Pt in 8-10, with gusts around 14 when we were boresighted with the Severn, and comfortable nearly close-hauled back in. Several other boats were following the same track, with the same timetable and idea today.
Fuel's gelling up a bit, even with additive in the tank. Took several long start attempts, despite pushing the decompression levers back to try clearing the injectors without killing the starter. Maybe I should bring a blowdryer to warm up the lines...

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,357 Posts
Barbara and I decided to get one last cruise in for the season, and so we sailed down to the Rhode River for the night. It really was a lovely sailing day on Saturday. The sail down was mostly a close reach turning into a gusty beat from Thomas Point on. It was a beautiful night with clear skies and lots of stars quite a few planets visible.
We knew it was supposed to get very windy today so planned on getting an early start for home. Today we had a very sporty trip back to the house.
I think it must be a new record covering the 14.5 mile trip from the being at anchor on the Rhode River to tied up at our dock in Mill Creek in well less than 2 hours. The beat out of the West River was pretty bumpy, but once we got into deeper water things flattened a little before building again as the wind speed increased. By then we were at Thomas Point and cracking off into a beam, then broad reach as the wind veered.
Thomas Point showed it gusting to 28 knots when we were passing Thomas Point, and gusting to 32 knots during the leg between Thomas Point and Whitehall Bay. We hit a high speed for the day of 10.6 knots but mostly we were moving 7.5 and 8.5 knots over the bottom.
I have sailed in these conditions in the past, but as the wind built, I saw some of the biggest waves I have ever seen on the Bay.

Docking was a little tricky but we got in after backing and filling a bit, then making a hot landing.
All and all it was a couple great sails without too much drama.

Jeff

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,307 Posts
Looks like a okay weekend for a sail... Not much wind predicted for Saturday but Sunday may be good. Hey, it's nearing the end of November and it should be in the high 50s... I'll take it!

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,307 Posts
Beautiful weekend... Nott much wind Saturday but Sunday was fantastic. We ended up in Dividing Creek on the Wye... A Fall favorite. Hoping we get a few more nice weather windows for non frostbite sailing... Who's with me?

781 - 800 of 809 Posts