SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any out there planning on a circumnavigation for 2021? If so, in what direction and what is your starting point? We have a group of boats from Annapolis that will do the trip in May, most likely clockwise in 3 legs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cyclesail There may possibly be a Delmarva Sailstice flotilla again--I did the first one, so look into that. I cant really advise as to clockwise or counterclockwise, but you can generally expect southerlies in the summer. Best to base your tour on expected Delaware bay wind and tide and C and D canal conditions as that will likely be the longest and most challenging leg, but ocean is of course possibly a long or overnight leg. You may go in Indian River De, Ocean City MD and possibly along the Virginia Coast. Try to enter or leave the VA Capes in daylight if possible. There would definitely be more than three legs, unless you are planning to do some seriously long and overnight runs. It is a very long day at 6 knots from Annapolis to Chesapeake City. Best to move through DEL Bay quickly, from Chesapeake City to Lewes. Take your time going from VA Capes back to Annapolis which day trippers do in 3-4 days.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I can't imagine wanting to rush through it like that. There are too many cool places to stop.

There's a bunch of Delmarva stuff on my blog, from about 8 trips around. But it's been 10 years. Where you can stop depends on draft, but there are lots of options so long as it's not much over 6'. Chincoteague is one of my favorites, but it's not for everyone.

2010 Delmarva Trip

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't imagine wanting to rush through it like that. There are too many cool places to stop.

There's a bunch of Delmarva stuff on my blog, from about 8 trips around. But it's been 10 years. Where you can stop depends on draft, but there are lots of options so long as it's not much over 6'. Chincoteague is one of my favorites, but it's not for everyone.

2010 Delmarva Trip

Well, that's a good point, but this is a group largely of racers and delivery captains, and are looking for a challenge. I will do another trip later to see the sights.

Any insight into the direction for May? I have noticed that Tom Tursi and The Maryland School of Sailing do it clockwise.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Racers and delivery captains? Looking or a challenge? Looking for insight? I would think that you will be best served by asking within your group, because you know them and they will be doing the trip. Delivery captains, of which I was one for many years, would have plenty of such insight and racers generally know a lot more about tides and winds than does the average sailor. I did the Delmarva Sailstice slow and for fun with friends and to meet other sailors and to have a good time as mid-summer is actually slow season while May was generally quite busy. Sounds like an inverse "bus man's holiday" for a professional delivery captain considering one is normally compensated for sailing on and on without many stops to move quickly and efficiently. I dont understand your questions. You ask about which direction and it does not really matter since you are going in a circle and there is no major prevailing current such as the Gulf Stream, although on Del Bay, the flood can be pretty severe, and when it meets the afternoon southerly...whoops!. Ask the MD School of Sailing why they go clockwise. I would assume it is because they are at the far north of the Bay near Del Bay and since Del bay is the worst part of this trip, they will be able to enter and sail down with the best predictive advice and earlier on the trip. Other than that you are not looking for cruising destinations and why does a starting point matter--especially when you said it would be Annapolis? I read your post and am trying to be helpful, but what is your concern?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice! That sounds fun! We did that in Sept 2020, same direction clock-wise, over Labor Day weekend.

We began in Middle River, to C&D Canal and overnight in Chesapeake City anchor area. Be aware the depths are not great getting in and out. We did not know this and our attempts to depart the following morning at low tide delayed us while we waited for it to come back in. From there we went to Lewes, DE for a couple days. Then an early morning departure on Labor Day out into the Atlantic for a 33-34 hour cruise down around and back up into the Bay. We decided to go up into Reedsville. Due to pandemic, there was nothing there to do, the next stop was Solomons which was nice and they were following CDC guidelines. A couple days there, then up to Annapolis, then back home a day later. Overall very nice considering what was going on at the time. This is the abridged version of course.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I've done the trip each way multiple times. Although there a a group preference for clockwise, I can't tell any difference. Weather is random. One the ocean, it would be a pain to beat into a strong northerly, but you just avoid that. On the Bay, southerlies are often too light to be worth anything. It's random. I typically stop about 10 places and spend a few days if the weather looks like crap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice! That sounds fun! We did that in Sept 2020, same direction clock-wise, over Labor Day weekend.

We began in Middle River, to C&D Canal and overnight in Chesapeake City anchor area. Be aware the depths are not great getting in and out. We did not know this and our attempts to depart the following morning at low tide delayed us while we waited for it to come back in. From there we went to Lewes, DE for a couple days. Then an early morning departure on Labor Day out into the Atlantic for a 33-34 hour cruise down around and back up into the Bay. We decided to go up into Reedsville. Due to pandemic, there was nothing there to do, the next stop was Solomons which was nice and they were following CDC guidelines. A couple days there, then up to Annapolis, then back home a day later. Overall very nice considering what was going on at the time. This is the abridged version of course.
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are starting in Rock Hall. I will pay particular attention to the Chesapeake City dockage depths.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

2010 Delmarva Trip

One of our crew members has a place in Chincoteague with a deep water dock. However, I do not anticipate a visit since we are not shoving off to Cape Charles, VA from Cape May, NJ if the weather window does not provide us with at least a two (2) day clear passage off the Atlantic Ocean.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
One of our crew members has a place in Chincoteague with a deep water dock. However, I do not anticipate a visit since we are not shoving off to Cape Charles, VA from Cape May, NJ if the weather window does not provide us with at least a two (2) day clear passage off the Atlantic Ocean.
You don't stop because of weather, you stop because you CAN! If just want to get somewhere, I drive or fly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cyclesail There may possibly be a Delmarva Sailstice flotilla again--I did the first one, so look into that. I cant really advise as to clockwise or counterclockwise, but you can generally expect southerlies in the summer. Best to base your tour on expected Delaware bay wind and tide and C and D canal conditions as that will likely be the longest and most challenging leg, but ocean is of course possibly a long or overnight leg. You may go in Indian River De, Ocean City MD and possibly along the Virginia Coast. Try to enter or leave the VA Capes in daylight if possible. There would definitely be more than three legs, unless you are planning to do some seriously long and overnight runs. It is a very long day at 6 knots from Annapolis to Chesapeake City. Best to move through DEL Bay quickly, from Chesapeake City to Lewes. Take your time going from VA Capes back to Annapolis which day trippers do in 3-4 days.
Let me know when the Delmarva Sailstice Flotilla happens.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are there any out there planning on a circumnavigation for 2021? If so, in what direction and what is your starting point? We have a group of boats from Annapolis that will do the trip in May, most likely clockwise in 3 legs.
Cyclesail, is there any further information on when this is going to happen? Just curious, and perhaps check to see if its something we could join (although I am not sure I can get away from work unfortunately).

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I've planned the trip several times but never made it. My plan was counter-clockwise based on better chances of winds from the south/southwest according to the Coast Pilot.

I'd hope for a window that would allow for actually sailing the Atlantic leg.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I live in the Hampton area and am interested in signing on as crew for anybody that may need another deck hand or lookout.
My experience is limited but I do have ASA 101/103 training.
I'd expect to pay my own way for provisions and any other personal incidentals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts