SailNet Community banner

241 - 260 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just inside past the old light in about 10 feet of water. Not a good choice but we were tired and "expecting" a quiet night. After all, we had just checked the NOAA forecast.

It would have been better to cross over to the Severn River.
Indeed, that would have been exposed! It was quite windy all that week...
The week before we ducked into Poquoson River which was nice and heading back on Wed of last week we used Horn Harbor. We had stayed at marina before and tho channel is narrow coming in, it's well marked and it's a great spot to duck in - assuming you can live in 7-8' water - as there's not much else between Rap/Piank and NFK.

I have the 'pay once lifetime' version of Windy app and I've tried all the FX models only to find them all a bit of a crapshoot. The bay is just too subject to thermal, microclimate, landmass, water depth effects. <sigh>
a

·
Registered
452 Posts
So the next morning we crossed over to Cape Charles where we planned to spend two nights in a slip at the town harbor. We've been there a number of times before. The marina management has recently been taken over by the neighboring yacht center. The most notable difference is the rates have risen significantly up to like three dollars a foot. With no anchorage available, its pretty much the only show in town other than the Oyster Farm, which I doubt is cheaper.

We had two nice weather days to enjoy the beach and town, but the forecast for Thursday night was not good so we extended our stay until Friday morning. The light winds had us motor sailing up the bay. We made it to Fishing Bay just as we noticed a black mess to the north. The radar showed a line of strong storms bearing down on us and they hit just after we got an anchor set. It blew hard for about 20 minutes, and I mean hard. We huddled under the bimini while watching the chartplotter plot our new course. Happily, we were not dragging toward shallow water.

After the storm passed, the rest of the night was lovely and really, finally, the night at anchor we had been waiting for all week.

Saturday morning we headed back to Yankee Point to take a pool break then left the marina for one more night on the hook on the East Branch of the Corrotoman. Another peaceful night on the hook.

The wind and weather were not the most cooperative for this trip, but that's always our fault. I suppose it was actually us who were not cooperating as we chose to go against the wind. We had our 10 tear old grand daughter along and after a year of Covid affected school, she was in serious need of some beach time. She's been sailing with us for a number of years and it was great to see her actually participating more in docking and anchoring the boat. She even took the helm quite a bit and is showing confidence in handling the boat. So she's becoming more crew than passenger now.

Next outing will be in about two weeks with some different grandkids.

·
Registered
Moody 376
73 Posts
went out on sunday day trip from herrington harbor reached across the bay to the northern side of poplar island, tacked 11 times to the south in a rapidly decreasing breeze at lunch time, but once we got to the southern tip wind started picking up and another close reach port tack across back to HH....

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had put some bleach into the tanks to do a 4-hour shock, so once back at the dock I purged the tanks and refilled with water. It seems like the homeowners association has a good water softening system, because the water had no detectable sulfur odor or other signs of hardness. I have started dosing 4 ppm chlorine bleach into my tanks since I don't think its a good idea to store unchlorinated water in our boat tanks. (All our previous marinas had chlorinated municipal water.) We only drink bottled water on the boat, and use the tank water for flushing, dishes, showers, and brushing teeth (when we spit out the water). We don't want the water to be foul, but 4 ppm chlorine isn't a problem since we don't drink it.
@TakeFive I've been wanting to give my tanks a bleach cleaning. Curious what your ratio is, how long you leave it in, and so forth. Any chance you could provide more info? I've been poking around the internet and there's a lot of difference of opinion so just curious what someone local is doing. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
55 Posts
FWIW, I shock my tanks (2 x 20gal) each spring with ~pint each of bleach, fill the tanks, run the faucets till I smell bleach, and let it sit 24 hours. I pump them dry, fill with fresh, pump that out, refill ,and the bleach taste/smell is gone by then.
General "survival guy" guidance for purifying normal water is 8 drops/gallon --> ~1/2 teaspoon/10gallon.
For "shocking" I've always " heard" 1 cup bleach/10 gal --> pint/20gal (for my case). Turns out the clorox website recommends the same ratio.
Methinks any ratio above a few drops/gallon will do the job, depending on how long you let it sit.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
@TakeFive I've been wanting to give my tanks a bleach cleaning. Curious what your ratio is, how long you leave it in, and so forth. Any chance you could provide more info? I've been poking around the internet and there's a lot of difference of opinion so just curious what someone local is doing. Thanks in advance!
24 hour shock and rinse

Reference: http://www.trudelutt.com/linker/phall_freshwater.pdf

Summary and comments:
  • "3/4 dl of bleach per 10 liters of water" = 0.75 l per 100 liters = 0.75% v/v. Presumably, she is referring to standard bleach, which is 5.25% w/w sodium hypochlorite, so the concentration of the active ingredient is about 0.04% or roughly 400 ppm (note that this is sort of a blend of %volume and %weight, so it's very approximate)
  • In imperial units, this translates to 1 oz. of standard 5.25% bleach per US gallon of tank capacity (easy to remember). Multiply this by 0.88 for 6% bleach, 0.61 for 7.5% bleach, 0.45 for 8.25% bleach (be sure to read the label for concentration)
  • 28 gallon tank: 17 oz of 7.5% bleach
  • 42 gallon tank: 26 oz of 7.5% bleach

• Be sure to use "plain bleach", no fragrances or anti-splash additives.
  • No-name bleach is usually better than Clorox, since they often add stuff you don’t want like “Cloromax” polymer additive. You want just plain bleach.
  • Limit shock time to no more than 24 hours, otherwise corrosion damage or brittleness of plastic tubing, seals, and pumps may result.

Prophylactic dosage for unchlorinated potable water and/or aged water whose chlorine has hydrolyzed to salt:

Reference: Emergency Disinfection of Drinking Water | US EPA

EPA recommended maximum level: 4 ppm. It's hard to poison yourself with chlorine, because the odor becomes unacceptable before you get to the danger point. Part of the reason for the 4 ppm limit seems to be concerns over leaching of lead and other heavy metals from old plumbing - it's more than just human consumption concerns. (This is my own interpretation from things that I have read in various places. Verify everything for yourself before taking my word for it.)

Summary and scaled-up calculations from the EPA document:
Volume of WaterAmount of 6% Bleach to Add*Amount of 7.5% Bleach to Add*
1 quart/liter2 drops2 drops
1 gallon8 drops6 drops
2 gallons16 drops (1/4 tsp)13 drops
28 gallons2.3 teaspoon1.9 teaspoon
42 gallons3.5 teaspoon2.8 teaspoon

As you can guess, I have a 28 gallon tank and a 42 gallon tank (plus about gallons in the hot water heater).

·
Registered
27 Posts
So...the forecast for the weekend looks like N winds winding clockwise around to E then S on Saturday with gusty periods. Sunday a bit calmer. That's a bit different than what we've been getting recently. Any local knowledge on what to expect in reality given that pattern?

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
I had the boat hauled out today so I can paint and wax the hull. I'm not proud to say this but it's been a while, about 3.5 years. I was uncertain how the paint had held up... I was very pleased to find it in good condition. Some small barnacle growth at the waterline (I cleaned as much of the bottom I could once or twice a year) but otherwise just slime. I was shocked and pleased to be honest.

My point in posting this? To share what paint I use, in fact it's the only bottom paint I've ever used... Pettit SR 40, two coats. I'll be painting it with the same this time. If there is anything better it would be Pettit SR 60 I suppose.

The prop and shaft not so much, and those I do dive on several times a year but expect to find growth. Instead of painting the metals with Zinc coat I'm going to polish and wax them and a final coat with a Teflon wax sealer. We'll see how that goes.

That's all for now... Enjoy the weekend sailors

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I had the boat hauled out today so I can paint and wax the hull. I'm not proud to say this but it's been a while, about 3.5 years. I was uncertain how the paint had held up... I was very pleased to find it in good condition. Some small barnacle growth at the waterline (I cleaned as much of the bottom I could once or twice a year) but otherwise just slime. I was shocked and pleased to be honest.

My point in posting this? To share what paint I use, in fact it's the only bottom paint I've ever used... Pettit SR 40, two coats. I'll be painting it with the same this time. If there is anything better it would be Pettit SR 60 I suppose.

The prop and shaft not so much, and those I do dive on several times a year but expect to find growth. Instead of painting the metals with Zinc coat I'm going to polish and wax them and a final coat with a Teflon wax sealer. We'll see how that goes.

That's all for now... Enjoy the weekend sailors
Thanks for the useful information. I made a note for it for the next season.

But is your last sentence in need of a comma? :D

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
We are currently 1 mi north of the Bay Bridge, heading for Harness Creek on the South River. They have a very dog-friendly park there, and good bathroom facilities on land. Tomorrow we'll head to Annapolis harbor for a mooring ball. Now that things are getting back to normal, we're ready for the "Annapolis experience". Monday is my birthday so I'm taking the day off for a leisurely sail back to Swan Creek.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So the next morning we crossed over to Cape Charles where we planned to spend two nights in a slip at the town harbor. We've been there a number of times before. The marina management has recently been taken over by the neighboring yacht center. The most notable difference is the rates have risen significantly up to like three dollars a foot. With no anchorage available, its pretty much the only show in town other than the Oyster Farm, which I doubt is cheaper.
Just saw the new rates at Cape Charles. It's really too bad. At $3/ft (plus an additional fee for using credit cards) for transients they are now more expensive then some of the "resort" marinas up the bay with notably less amenities. For example, just paid $2.60/ft at St Michaels, and $2.75 at Herrington Harbor, both of which offer way more than Cape Charles. Cape Charles Town Harbor has long been a "go to" place for a quick overnight from Hampton Roads but not so much anymore. It's a nice marina but that's about it.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
FWIW, we had unexpectedly nice conditions sailing down to the Bay Bridge today. 9 kt NNW breeze made for a very comfortable broad reach in low 70s temps. Breeze died south of the bridge, so we ended up motoring the final leg into South River.

I've forgotten to mention the absurd thing we observed Saturday a week ago. Did anyone else in the area hear that (drunken?) a$$h--- who came on Ch16 in the late afternoon screaming obscenities at anyone who tried to haul someone, yelling (about 30 times), "My radio my channel, my channel my radio"? It severely interfered with legitimate communications, including an actual distress call. USCG said nothing. I was hoping they could triangulate his location and board his boat.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I wonder if Cape Charles' higher rates are reflecting Virginia's new minimum wage.

Anyone who hasn't been to Cape Charles in the last 5 years would be surprised at how it's changed. There are no bargains. I paid nearly 100 dollars for dinner for three which consisted of some fried fish,fries, three tacos, and 2 beers.

The town now has a distillery, a cidery, boutique hotels, warehouses turned into apartments, and an Italian restaurant with the menu in Italian.

I'm mistaken, though. The beach and sunset are free.

·
Advanced beginner
561 Posts
I finally got out on the water today after some work on our engine was completed. Just in time! Sunday morning was absolutely glorious in the middle-Chesapeake, with a 9-12 knot breeze from the southeast. Was so nice to get out sailing again, I've been monitoring this thread with some envy as I have been dying to get out of the slip again and was worried all the great spring sailing days would pass me by this year.

Had a near head-to-head collision in the Rockhold Creek channel with a power boat whose operator didn't seem to understand how channels work. I've never had to use my air horn in a channel before. I hope I'm imagining things but it seems like encounters with power boaters have gotten worse since covid and I'm wondering whether it's all the new boat owners.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
...it seems like encounters with power boaters have gotten worse since covid and I'm wondering whether it's all the new boat owners.
I think it's worse than naivete. There was an announcement on Ch16 for power boaters to watch their wakes during a sailing regatta at St. Michaels, and some idiot got on and said, "blah blah blah". After the fiasco on Ch16 last week, I'm beginning to think there are darker forces at play.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
FYI, we saw a dolphin off of Love Point today.

·
Registered
Moody 376
73 Posts
So far this season everyone ive encountered has played nice in the Herrington harbour North neck of the woods. Getting out of HH and rockhold, its pretty narrow, and at low tide, I've been cheating more towards center. have seen a few sailboats and power boats on the hard on the shoals off Skippers.

Lets just hope that its just the early season rust getting knocked off.

EmCentar, I was out both sat and sunday, Sunday was by far the better day... We christened our boat on the east side of Poplar I. and then sailed back. I'm berthed at paradise...

·
Advanced beginner
561 Posts
^ Great picture! Sunday really was the best day for a sail across the Bay

241 - 260 of 262 Posts