SailNet Community banner
261 - 280 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got out last weekend and had our first overnight guests on the boat. They got in late Saturday so we gave them the full marina experience followed by a day sail on Sunday. Wind on the Rappahannock was pretty light so we had some relaxing sailing for a few hours. Even got the pooch up to relax in the breeze. Unfortunately not going to get out this weekend but will be spending the following two weekends and the week in between on the boat (hopefully) sailing, upgrading the inverter, and remote working.

Attachments

·
Registered
Moody 376
98 Posts
motored to Annapolis on Saturday. no wind but the slip was paid for. so we used it. saw some rays and a few dolphin as well. Used the time to enlighten the crew on safety protocol, and such... hypothetical, "what would you do"

Thumped my chest and went up Ego Alley.

had a great sail sunday back to herring bay. lots of large commercial vessels anchored out south of the bay bridge I guess waiting for space in Baltimore

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
How was the wind for those who were out today? We arrived at the boat around 4:30 pm and it was howling. We had already given up on heading out, but had a long list of todo items that we had hoped to accomplish. The Rock Hall Yacht Club wind sensors a few miles away showed 22 kt sustained. It seems that southerly winds just accelerate right up Swan Creek, and the empty slips to my south provide no protection. With the heavy breeze blowing broadside on the boat, we were unable to pull the boat to the finger pier to board. The cleat location on the dock does not give me a very good angle of attack to pull the boat southward (against the wind) toward the finger pier. To make matters worse, my three-strand bow line was chafing badly on the dock cleat (partly due to extreme tension from the poor angle of attack). I spent the next hour rushing to West Marine (which was going to close at 5) to buy a 5/8"x35' double-braid dock line, and also dropping by my old marina to borrow a boat hook so I could loop it over my boat's cleat from the dock. I then ran this new line to a piling in my nextdoor neighbor's (empty) slip to give a better angle against the wind. Doing this created a severe trip hazard across our finger pier, so we left the boat and decided not to board in what I considered to be unsafe conditions. But at least the boat is safe from the severe damage that would have occurred if the line had chafed through.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Splashed the boat Friday after two weeks doing some maintenance (bottom paint, hull cleaning/wax, cutlass bearing).

We had a wonderful sail to Broad Creek on the Magothy Friday evening. Saturday afternoon we had an even better sail to Fairlee Creek. Winds were perfect for both. Waves were a little steep and short but nothing unusual. Headed home to Kent Island some time this morning.

Can't wait for our week on the bay. Looks like we'll be in Solomon's for the 4th of July.

·
Registered
162 Posts
We made it out Friday, the wind was fantastic for a multi-hour sail across the Bay on a close haul, then a turn around for a more comfortable albeit less exciting reach back across again. Since we didn't get out of work, and cast off until... 4:40 or so that was all we were trying to do. We made another couple tacks just to do it, then eventually sailed all the way back to Hopkins Creek entrance where, almost helpfully the wind sputtered out near completely. We took that as a sign to start the motor and haul in the sails for docking.

@T37Chef - We've not gone inside Fairlee Creek on the sailboat, though been inside dozens of times on jet skis, and by other means over the years. Do you time your entrance with the current? Or simply make due with how you find it? I've seen boats get themselves in trouble there, and have never bothered to 'go for it' before. However our previous boat, we were not fully confident in the engine at high RPM, we babied it. Our new (to us) boat though, power wouldn't be an issue, more concerned about depth.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
I probably should time the current when transitioning the cut at Fairlee 😳. It was flowing pretty fast (2-3 knots?) this weekend and both times, entering and exiting, we had the current against us, which I prefer there.

Depth was fine... I stay in the middle and 🙏

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,902 Posts
This was a great weekend to be on the Chesapeake if you don't mind a stiff breeze. Barbara was out of town visiting a friend, so I single-handed up to one of my favorite anchorages on the Bay, Gray's Inn Creek.

Saturday was a real lark with a fast broad to beam reach to Love Point, a gusty beat up to the Mouth of the Chester and a fast sleigh ride to the Creek.

I had been eying a rain cloud to my slightly south of east on the leg from Annapolis to Love Point. The cloud had been moving steadily northwards faster than I had been sailing. As I turned into the Chester, I could tell it was raining around Kent Narrows. Normally I would have tacked further into the river in case there was a favorable wind shift. But I tacked south as soon as I could clear the east side of the Love Point shoal. By the time I tacked back, the storm had passed to the south of me leaving dry, but very gusty conditions.

It is roughly 26 miles from my dock to the anchorage and I covered that from docklnes off to anchor down in under 4 1/2 hours with a little help from the current which is a fast passage for that trip.

Once in the Creek I anchored in my favorite spot just to the south of the sand spit at the turn in the Creek. Usually there's enough of a westerly or easterly component to the wind that Gray's Inn has a breeze to keep things cool, without being too breezy. Yesterday was the exception, and so I ended up pulling the anchor and anchoring in the lee of some trees to the north of the sand spit. After that it was a lovely night, a little breeze, not too hot, and a dense carpet of stars over head. (Until moon rise).

Today was yesterday in reverse only with more wind on the nose going up the Bay. It was a little wild and wooly and it probably would have been prudent to put a reef in, but I was enjoying catching and passing the boats motoring upwind to Annapolis. The trip home was even faster at a tick under 4 hours from walking on deck to pull the anchor, to tied up and texting Barbara to let her know I was home safely.

I had a Moltessier moment, as I debated whether to turn into Whitehall Bay towards home or keep going for a few more hours since it was such a fun sail. (I can in)

Jeff

·
Registered
162 Posts
We did another spirited sail yesterday in the seemingly steady 18-21 blowing by having a 2nd reef in the main and keeping the geneoa reefed at jib size. We were going to come back, anchor to then join a few local friends who'd invited us, anchoring out to watch a local band play live on the river. As Jeff mentioned, mostly blowing hard but we never registered anything above 23 I believe. We were actually less healed over than Friday, and going every bit as fast. The few times the wind dropped into the teens we were tempted to put out more sail but stayed the course so to speak and it kept coming back. We did join those folks but only for the last set of the band. We ended up leaving the boat anchored and puttering around for a few hours for food and company. Didn't get back until dusk, where we pulled anchor and headed back towards home port, trying to decide if we would anchor overnight. If the gusty wind made it overly difficult to get into our slip we thought we'd just get up early and try it, but the trees provided cover and what wind made it through the trees actually blew us straight into the slip as it was mostly from the south still.

We couldn't get out Saturday to make it a full weekend because of prior commitments. Otherwise we would likely have been trying to have a destination for a weekend stay somewhere.

Next weekend I think we're heading for the Sassafras, and then who knows!

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,902 Posts
Your boat is a fast one! The skipper is pretty good too 😂
Thank you. It was perfect conditions for Synergy. Coming home, I had to crack off on the west side of the Love Point shoal to around 100-120 deg. true wind. It was blowing in the high teens with gusts to the low 20's and so I was sustaining speeds in the 8.8 to 9.4 range. Some of that was favorable current, but that was fun while it lasted. Once clear of the shoal I was needed to harden up and things slowed down some.

Jeff

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thank you. It was perfect conditions for Synergy. Coming home, I had to crack off on the west side of the Love Point shoal to around 100-120 deg. true wind. It was blowing in the high teens with gusts to the low 20's and so I was sustaining speeds in the 8.8 to 9.4 range. Some of that was favorable current, but that was fun while it lasted. Once clear of the shoal I was needed to harden up and things slowed down some.

Jeff
Wow Jeff! Is that speed through water, or SOG? That IS a fast boat!

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,902 Posts
Wow Jeff! Is that speed through water, or SOG? That IS a fast boat!
That was SOG and I probably had 1/2 to 3/4 knots of current off the windward quarter. My knot meter was fouled so I am not sure what the speed through the water would have been but I would guess in the 8-8.5 knot range. That is only a little over the 7.5 hull speed and Synergy has what I would call a semi-displacement hull. .

The fastest sustained reading that I have seen on Synergy's knotmeter was over 12 knots with a momentary speed close to 13 knots. But that was deep reaching in a lot of wind (high 20's with gusts above that) in cold air, and some big waves, That time I had a blade jib and a reefed mainsail. It was a wild, slightly scary, but fun sail, made less scary by having the Bay to myself. That day, on the way out, I had stopped in at Langford Bay marina to get fuel. The man at the dock asked if I wanted a slip for the night, I told him that I was planning to sail back to Annapolis and he said words to the effect of, "Better you than me.".

Jeff

·
Registered
162 Posts
That was SOG and I probably had 1/2 to 3/4 knots of current off the windward quarter. My knot meter was fouled so I am not sure what the speed through the water would have been but I would guess in the 8-8.5 knot range. That is only a little over the 7.5 hull speed and Synergy has what I would call a semi-displacement hull. .

The fastest sustained reading that I have seen on Synergy's knotmeter was over 12 knots with a momentary speed close to 13 knots. But that was deep reaching in a lot of wind (high 20's with gusts above that) in cold air, and some big waves, That time I had a blade jib and a reefed mainsail. It was a wild, slightly scary, but fun sail, made less scary by having the Bay to myself. That day, on the way out, I had stopped in at Langford Bay marina to get fuel. The man at the dock asked if I wanted a slip for the night, I told him that I was planning to sail back to Annapolis and he said words to the effect of, "Better you than me.".

Jeff
Okay that makes sense. We've seen some SOG too that indicated the current was most definitely giving us a boost past hull speed enough that I was skeptical. Regardless, based on your background I feel certain you chose a boat that fit many criteria, and I'd be willing to bet speed was one of them.

Speaking of through the water speed. We cleaned and painted our knot-meter/depth/water-temp transducer a few weeks ago and inserted (plunged is more like) it back through the thru-hull. It worked for one stinkin day, the day we went to St Michael's. The tiny, ill conceived plastic piece that blocks the surge of water into the boat when the transducer is removed popped out last year, so now I use two fingers to stem the Bay trying to sink my boat whilst the other hand drops the blank and grabs the transducer (or vice versa).

Now I'm wondering what everyone else out on the Bay does for their own devices, because clearly the stuff we used (the name eludes me) was not the answer. Of course it could be that something floated into it too, we have that kind of luck.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
There will be a fireworks show at the Solomons this year. Additional details in facebook

For those who don't facebook, a copy of shuttle schedule
There will be a shuttle on July 4th, 2021 running back and forth from Patuxent High School to the Solomons Holiday Inn.
There will be two buses running (about 9 minutes apart) from 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. shuttling patrons in both directions.
There will be four buses running (about 5 min apart) from 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. shuttling patrons in both directions.
At 8 p.m. the shuttles will pause service to prepare for moving patrons from Solomons to PHS.
Starting at 9 p.m., there will be 10 shuttles running (about 5 min apart) to deliver guests from the Solomons Holiday Inn to PHS
This shuttle is being offered free of charge thanks to the Solomons Business Association and our generous sponsors.
Please take care that you do not block the bus route at PHS as you park your car (parking in a marked spot is the best way to ensure you’re not blocking the way).

·
Registered
Moody 376
98 Posts
Now I'm wondering what everyone else out on the Bay does for their own devices, because clearly the stuff we used (the name eludes me) was not the answer. Of course it could be that something floated into it too, we have that kind of luck.
its on my checklist of things to remove from the hull before I leave for the weekend. in april i was fine. but I left it in last week for 7 days, yuck Id rather change a newborn's diaper. its a brand new unit, with no AF paint on it. not sure it would even help to be honest. the warm temps have things growing quick...

·
Registered
162 Posts
its on my checklist of things to remove from the hull before I leave for the weekend. in april i was fine. but I left it in last week for 7 days, yuck Id rather change a newborn's diaper. its a brand new unit, with no AF paint on it. not sure it would even help to be honest. the warm temps have things growing quick...
Its a Catch-22, that transducer. Last year I was removing it and swapping it out for the blank when we knew we wouldn't be using the boat for some weeks. This worked well until one of the last times I did the swap, and that blasted cheap plastic toggle sorta blew right up into my hand. I didn't realize right away what it was, but the small geyser of water tipped me off! It was out all winter, and part of the spring, until we bought that paint for it, and carefully painted just the wheel, and tiny cups, and as close as possible to the moving parts without causing it to fail to spin. And it worked for a day.

·
Registered
Moody 376
98 Posts
carefully painted just the wheel, and tiny cups, and as close as possible to the moving parts without causing it to fail to spin. And it worked for a day.
LOL

I know on my airmar transducer the flapper thingy to help slow the water down is included with the a paddle wheel kit so it might be something that you could replace depending on the make year model.
It is serviceable from inside the boat. so it could be replaced without taking th eboat out of the water, take a rubber plug with a long retrieval line, dive on the boat put the plug in from the outside. remove the broken flapper valve isntall the new valve. then use your blanking plug to pop out the plug. then remove the blanking plug and reinstall your paddle wheel... then retreive your plug with the line attached.

261 - 280 of 332 Posts