SailNet Community banner
341 - 360 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
Moody 376
143 Posts
Nothing revolutionary, can probably DIY- adding rigid tubes between the bows supporting the canvas such that they hold a fixed spread, then tubes from the rear bow to the stern pulpit.
thanks for the link on the gemini. wold be an option once I decide what I want to do... center cockpit does have its challenges.

·
Advanced beginner
599 Posts
Canvas work. anyone have a magician? would love to have someone close to deale to be able to come look at the boat and give me some ideas. I think I need to lower the dodger about 6-8 inches, and do some re-engineering on the bimini, so it can self supporting and not have to be attached to the dodger.
I've been very happy with Canvas Connection in Deale. Got my bimini made and installed by them and it's held up great.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
The last couple evenings sunsets and weather have been epic... View attachment 139996 View attachment 139997
I'm so jealous. I have to spend every other week in Milwaukee and my luck has been horrible, with heat waves every week I'm out east and cooler weather on the east coast when I'm in MKE. I haven't found a single day that was worth taking off from work. I haven't found a single weekday worth taking off to sail since June. (We've had a few good weekend days.)
Can't help for a canvas vendor, but I found this a few years ago, wrt self-supporting bimini:
Nothing revolutionary, can probably DIY- adding rigid tubes between the bows supporting the canvas such that they hold a fixed spread, then tubes from the rear bow to the stern pulpit.
I've had strapless biminis on both of my sailboats. It's pretty simple with properly positioned SS tubing. It should be an easy DIY retrofit with tubing and the right end fittings. The only time I've had straps was a trailerable fishing boat, where you need to raise and drop the bimini every time you use the boat.

Reactions: T37Chef

·
Registered
Moody 376
143 Posts
Hey folks, heading to Annapolis this friday with my daughter and some of her freinds. I have a bulkhead spot in Ego alley reserved for friday Night. if anyone is around and wants to swing by for a beverage and shoot the proverbial sh!t

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey folks, heading to Annapolis this friday with my daughter and some of her freinds. I have a bulkhead spot in Ego alley reserved for friday Night. if anyone is around and wants to swing by for a beverage and shoot the proverbial sh!t
We're heading to Annapolis on Saturday! Love to go down on Friday but gotta work (grumbling) to pay for the boat.

Hope ya'll have a terrific excursion, sounds like a blast!

·
Registered
Moody 376
143 Posts
use it or loose it time off... going to boat on Thursday to tinker and prep. make sure the boat is up to snuff for the visitors.

i'm not sure I'll leave the boat once I get to nap.... I love sitting with a cold drink in the hand and watching people. hopefully it wont be too hot... Sunday looks to be best day, lower temps and better breeze. from deale going to be downwind to get to nap and downwind coming home...If the forecast holds...

·
Advanced beginner
599 Posts
A weekend in Annapolis sounds fun, fingers crossed the hot stormy weather passes in time. I've always wanted to just grab a mooring ball for the weekend and hang out in Ego Alley watching the other boats go by, but the weather is always either terrible or so nice I wind up trying for less popular anchorages to hide from the crowds

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
58 Posts
Bulkhead spot- you'll be hosting a few hundred friends sitting down to eat their Storm Brothers' ice cream! There is something neat ("ego") to parting the crowd so as to step onto YOUR boat, however.
It's Plebe parents' weekend- an extra-big load of tourists, and all 1200 plebes outside the gate for the 1st time since June. Enjoy! They don't bite, usually. I promise. They're just really really hungry.

·
Registered
Moody 376
143 Posts
Parents weekend sound like it will be fun. I was a middie at the US Merchant marine Acad. I can relate.

maybe that's why my daughter and her friends wanted to go to nap town this weekend...hmmm

FWIW My Boats name is "Fools Errand" so if you are walking by or in the area, Stop in and say hi

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great to hear others are out there enjoying the Bay! Haven’t gotten out in a while with a combination of boat projects and life events. Upgraded the inverter, rewired some connections, new 110 breaker panel, installed an automatic transfer switch, and am finishing up on the generator install. Couple weeks ago we started to leave to go down and prep the boat for a planned big trip to NY, and my dog had to be rushed to the vet when he couldn’t breathe. Surgery Monday and he is an old dog, so just trying to get him the best quality of life possible.

Changed the trip to a Delmarva partial circumnavigation sometime in September after he heals. We will also move up to Deale, if there is space. Good to hear the good review on canvas connections, that’s our driving force to get up there before the winter and knock off another project from the list.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
It was too sticky all week to take any time off work for sailing. This is Pirates and Wenches weekend in Rock Hall, so we would normally avoid the town. However, my son flies in to PHL from his home in Seattle early Sunday morning, and he'd like to go sailing. So we'll head down there with him, our dogs, and two of his friends for a daysail on Sunday.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #353 ·
We were on the fence whether we wanted to go out this weekend... Well so glad we did. We left mid afternoon and are anchored on the Corsica River off the Chester. Nice breeze and the humidity has gone way down. Tomorrow may be a good sail home of short... Cheers all

·
cruising all I can
1,021 Posts
I cast off Friday from Rumbley. MD. the "Goose Creek Marina" bound for Solomons.
I arrived an docked at the Tiki-Bar, 30 minutes before a storm blew threw taking out the power and putting on a light show.
It was the first time I went to the Tiki-Bar after having heard about it for years.
This morning I cast off to find the Kubota running hot.
So I cleaned the strainer, helped some. Still running 20° hotter then normal.
Now. As the sun sets I'm anchored in the mouth if the little chop tank near ragged point.
Cooking steak and peppers.

·
Registered
Moody 376
143 Posts
We will also move up to Deale, if there is space. Good to hear the good review on canvas connections, that’s our driving force to get up there before the winter and knock off another project from the list.
HHN was full when I looked for slips this spring. that and Price is why I ened up at Paradise marina just across the creek.
got my estimate back from canvass Connections. $4500 for bimini and dodger.... I might be buying a new sewing machine... doesn't include poles

and it was pretty hot friday and sat. didn't get much sailing done.. Sunday was a nice time in the AM sailing...

·
Registered
201 Posts
So Saturday was a bust as far as wind goes, but that was as predicted so no surprise. And what little there was, was from the south anyway so us making our way to Annapolis (all but due south course). We arrived in Annapolis in the afternoon, we did put the sails up after we went under the bridge to confirm that indeed, there was not enough wind for us to go fast than 2 knots.

We had some special first time guests aboard and decided to take them to Annapolis Yacht Basin where we'd rented a slip based on how hot it was supposed to be. We got our slip assignment, not near where we've been before, instead next to...

Dropped the dink into the water after getting all settled in and turning on the AC. Pulled back to get a look at "Winning Drive" which was looming over our tiny boat in comparison. We felt like this was an omen, and that we would need to watch the first Raven's preseason game. Headed up ego alley looking for "Fools Errand" even though I was pretty sure it was gone based on the posts above. Sorry we missed ya. From there over the Federal House for those siracha wings that we love, and since they seated us without asking directly next to a TV it was all but prophecied that we see the game at that point. So we settled in for apps, beverages, and all that good stuff for a few hours.

Sunday was a spirited sail back and forth across the bay as we tacked and angled to get under the bridge. The wind, knowing we were headed north, promptly came from the north. This is expected at this point, happens to use most every time we even think about Annapolis. The farther north we went the more shifty and drifty the wind became. It seemed to vary wildly back and forth in both direction and speed. However we did have a lot of nice tacks, close hauled, and due to time constraints we eventually had to start the engine to get our guest back so they weren't gong to have to drive home in the dark. The guests enjoyed themselves and a good time was had by all!!!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

·
cruising all I can
1,021 Posts
Sitting at the bar at watermans in rock hall md Harbor .
Come down and put a face with the name.
I'll let you buy me a drink and we'll tell lies !

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Sunday was a spirited sail back and forth across the bay as we tacked and angled to get under the bridge. The wind, knowing we were headed north, promptly came from the north. This is expected at this point, happens to use most every time we even think about Annapolis. The farther north we went the more shifty and drifty the wind became. It seemed to vary wildly back and forth in both direction and speed.
I'm no expert at this, but it seems that the bridge creates huge back-eddies and other distortions to the airflow whenever downwind. It seems like they can last for miles. On Sunday I was north of the bridge and we had a very nice, steady NNE wind from 1130 to about 1500. We just wanted an easy broad reach with some first-time guests, so we crossed the bay 4 times. But we were upwind of the bridge. We've noticed that whenever we sail under the bridge with northerlies or southerlies, as soon as we get under the bridge the wind is very unpredictable on the downwind side.

341 - 360 of 399 Posts