SailNet Community banner
361 - 380 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm no expert at this, but it seems that the bridge creates huge back-eddies and other distortions to the airflow whenever downwind. It seems like they can last for miles. On Sunday I was north of the bridge and we had a very nice, steady NNE wind from 1130 to about 1500. We just wanted an easy broad reach with some first-time guests, so we crossed the bay 4 times. But we were upwind of the bridge. We've noticed that whenever we sail under the bridge with northerlies or southerlies, as soon as we get under the bridge the wind is very unpredictable on the downwind side.
Agree that the bridge creates some "little twisters" in the air on the other side of it. I think they sometimes float away before dissipating into the prevailing conditions.

·
cruising all I can
1,021 Posts
Jeez that'd be nice.
We weren't too happy with the food at Watermans last time we were there though.
Yea, I had a oyster poor boy and a little cold slaw.
The oysters weren't much and the roll was tougher than a docksider sole !
The only Spiced Rum they had was " capt. M."
And the bartender was scarce, even the couple of regulars ( old timers) I was drinking with said so !
But, I guess that's part of the experience!
I'll take good with bad.
Still beats working for a living !

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #365 ·
When we were out today I thought it seemed like good waterspout weather... That's an impressive one. A couple years ago one went right down the Chester River. Impressive sight.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We headed to Rock Hall, Swan Creek, on Saturday. The wind was not strong, but consistent 7-10 from the NE. So despite an afternoon departure we still made it across and anchored by 7PM or so. Piled into the dinghy and headed to Passages Bar & Grill. We thought that the last time there they had pretty good food and we were right. It is actually impressive considering they operate out of a small kitchen space. With full belly and friends we headed back to boat hours later after they closed. Then it was time for a late night swim under the blue moon before the clouds rolled in. It was great hanging out with my friend, simply enjoying the evening under the bright moonlight, getting a much needed respite from the work week(s). A nice rinse, some soap too, and we were ready to konk out.

The rain on Sunday did not dampen our collective happiness from Saturday, and our kids (well their 16 and 19) were busy on their phones, and we headed back out again for our dock. It was as if we had a field around us the way the rain and dark clouds seemed to dissipate. We got lucky for sure, instead of pounding rain as I suspected it might be we instead simply got drizzle to light rain most of the time with a few heavy showers interspersed between.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

That weather spout is incredible! To think that was just down the bay from us.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #367 ·
We headed to Rock Hall, Swan Creek, on Saturday. The wind was not strong, but consistent 7-10 from the NE. So despite an afternoon departure we still made it across and anchored by 7PM or so. Piled into the dinghy and headed to Passages Bar & Grill. We thought that the last time there they had pretty good food and we were right. It is actually impressive considering they operate out of a small kitchen space. With full belly and friends we headed back to boat hours later after they closed. Then it was time for a late night swim under the blue moon before the clouds rolled in. It was great hanging out with my friend, simply enjoying the evening under the bright moonlight, getting a much needed respite from the work week(s). A nice rinse, some soap too, and we were ready to konk out.

The rain on Sunday did not dampen our collective happiness from Saturday, and our kids (well their 16 and 19) were busy on their phones, and we headed back out again for our dock. It was as if we had a field around us the way the rain and dark clouds seemed to dissipate. We got lucky for sure, instead of pounding rain as I suspected it might be we instead simply got drizzle to light rain most of the time with a few heavy showers interspersed between.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

That weather spout is incredible! To think that was just down the bay from us.
We probably sailed right next to you and didn't know it haha...

We ended up tying up to the bulkhead in Rockhall Harbor for a change and wemt to Harbor Shack for some drinks and live music. Caught a pretty nice Rockfish on our way Saturday evening just South of Swan Creek shoal.

Sunday was calm to no wind and dodged those storms well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We probably sailed right next to you and didn't know it haha...

We ended up tying up to the bulkhead in Rockhall Harbor for a change and wemt to Harbor Shack for some drinks and live music. Caught a pretty nice Rockfish on our way Saturday evening just South of Swan Creek shoal.

Sunday was calm to no wind and dodged those storms well.
If you saw "Serendipity" along the side of the hull by chance, that was us! Love the Chesapeake!

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
If you saw "Serendipity" along the side of the hull by chance, that was us! Love the Chesapeake!
Yes I recall seeing you just can't remember where or when...haha. I feel like I saw your boat last weekend as well?

·
Registered
Catalina 320
18 Posts
We were motoring up from Rock Hall towards the C&D canal today. When we got past the Sassafras we encountered large floating clumps of what looked like grass or weeds. Is it common on the bay? Just curious to know what causes it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We were motoring up from Rock Hall towards the C&D canal today. When we got past the Sassafras we encountered large floating clumps of what looked like grass or weeds. Is it common on the bay? Just curious to know what causes it.
After heavy rain storms, a lot of run off comes down the Susquehanna. Last year when they opened a bunch of dam locks we saw heavy discolored line (yes, a literal change in the coloration of the bay water) as we sailed out across the bay heading easterly towards Fairlee. We actually turned, chicken jibed, and headed back in the opposite direction when we saw what we perceived to be significant amounts of floating debris as well. Had no interest in seeing what was floating around in there. Anyway, this isn't that, but its likely its simply from the recent heavy rains we experienced in some areas north. Takes a while for it to make its way out there, that's the only thing that makes sense to me since it was recent.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·

This picture was taken near Swan Point a couple years ago... Distinct color change of the water after a couple days of heavy rain.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
Thinking about friends and family in NOLA and Louisiana today... 16 years to the day of Katrina.

Good sailing weekend on the Chesapeake. Light winds but more notable lower humidity. Had some great sailing across the bay to the Magothy River on Saturday and a leisurely sail back to Kent Island today... Trolling with hopes of snagging another Rockfish for dinner.

I feel lucky to be sailing as much as we have this August! Looking forward to a great fall sailing season.

·
Registered
Moody 376
143 Posts
got several hours in on sat afternoon and sunday morning
had my bottom cleaned Sat Afternoon. and my Autopilot stopped working on sunday. grrr...

·
Registered
201 Posts
We are prepping to depart on vacation mid-week, pending the leftovers from Ida due to come in around Wednesday. We're looking forward to a weekend in Solomons, then heading farther south to... well where ever the wind blows us I suppose. Only as far as southern MD to VA before we pick a time to head out of the Bay and north to the Deleware Bay. Not sure if we're heading to Cape May or Lewes but again we'll figure it out when we get up there! We need the vacation, overdue!

Couldn't get out this past weekend, despite the nice sailing conditions I thought I saw, had to take daughter back to college!

·
Registered
118 Posts
So, I'm thinking of making a lunch stop at Mirroir Tasting Room in Locklies on the Rappahannock. Anybody been here? Reviews are mixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We are prepping to depart on vacation mid-week, pending the leftovers from Ida due to come in around Wednesday. We're looking forward to a weekend in Solomons, then heading farther south to... well where ever the wind blows us I suppose. Only as far as southern MD to VA before we pick a time to head out of the Bay and north to the Deleware Bay. Not sure if we're heading to Cape May or Lewes but again we'll figure it out when we get up there! We need the vacation, overdue!
We are also about to start our vacation, but going the opposite direction and heading from the Rappahannock to Baltimore. Potentially Little bay Friday night, then an overnight Saturday/Sunday night to get up there, then fight the crowds at Hart Miller. If anyone has some better anchor/beach recommendations I am all ears! We are moving the boat up to Deale to get a full enclosure so are making a vacation out of it. Hope to see you out there!

So, I'm thinking of making a lunch stop at Mirroir Tasting Room in Locklies on the Rappahannock. Anybody been here? Reviews are mixed.
Late last year (after looking at a boat in Deltaville) we attempted to go, and it was packed with a line out the door. We opted not to wait since we were on a timeline, but it was recommended to us by the showing broker.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Be careful out there this weekend! The huge rains in NE Maryland and central Pennsylvania this week are likely to have washed all manner of huge logs and other large floating or partially-submerged debris down the Susquehanna and into the bay. In past similar events, navigating the northern and central bay in the days immediately after the storm was quite treacherous and it took the bay up to a couple of weeks to get fully back to normal. I believe some sailnetters have even had personal experience with prop damage in the wake of these flush outs. I haven't heard any firsthand reports from this storm yet, but do be aware and safe out there.

The good news is that we're about to have a mostly beautiful stretch of weather for the weekend.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Be careful out there this weekend! The huge rains in NE Maryland and central Pennsylvania this week are likely to have washed all manner of huge logs and other large floating or partially-submerged debris down the Susquehanna and into the bay. In past similar events, navigating the northern and central bay in the days immediately after the storm was quite treacherous and it took the bay up to a couple of weeks to get fully back to normal. I believe some sailnetters have even had firsthand with prop damage in the wake of these flush outs. I haven't heard any firsthand reports from this storm yet, but do be aware and safe out there.

The good news is that we're about to have a mostly beautiful stretch of weather for the weekend.
Another reason we are happy to be heading southward to Solomons. We saw stuff last year that had us come about and head back towards more protected areas after deluge last year had them opening locks on the dam up there.

361 - 380 of 399 Posts