SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
We still have a bunch of to-dos, but making progress. First on the list is fixing delamination and rot in the anchor locker. We're going to replace the old spigot with a flush-mounted deck fitting for the anchor wash. Then refurbing the windlass. Since we bought the boat in December, we had to scramble a bit to find a slip. I underestimated how scarce they'd be around Annapolis. So, we're on the Magothy, which I think is going to work out well. Next up is bottom paint and she'll be ready to sail. Then, of course, the never-ending upgrade list. Onward!
Sounds like you're on track for a great season. Yes, the never-ending upgrade list....once, early on, my wife said, it seems like fixing things just goes on and on...she wasn't pleased when I said, "It always will!"

·
Registered
72 Posts
The upgrade list... the future of our boats and how we hope and dream to use them over the coming season(s)!

We're very much looking forward to a new genoa in the works! We're happy to be able to say we got started on it last year despite the pandemic.

·
Registered
Moody 376
17 Posts
We still have a bunch of to-dos, but making progress.
feel your pain, been working on mine since august, getting closer, maybe 5 weeks away. weather will break soon for paint, new windows to be installed as well.

looking forward to exploring the bay on my own boat, its been far too long.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The upgrade list... the future of our boats and how we hope and dream to use them over the coming season(s)!

We're very much looking forward to a new genoa in the works! We're happy to be able to say we got started on it last year despite the pandemic.
That's great. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
feel your pain, been working on mine since august, getting closer, maybe 5 weeks away. weather will break soon for paint, new windows to be installed as well.

looking forward to exploring the bay on my own boat, its been far too long.
Totally looking forward to the season. I'm trying to decide whether to replace the entire nav package. It's all 20 years old, but works. I want to add an auto-pilot and need to replace the VHF. I can definitely get out on the water as-is (with a working VHF) and do the full replace later. That said, Covid-19 still limits crews to immediate family only, and that means short-handing. It probably makes the most sense to get it all done at the same time, which hopefully means I'm not swapping components every year until my wife gives up on me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We replaced the near 20 year old original Raymarine systems, and Garmin3000 chartplotter, with all B&G equipment this past Fall before our vacation sail. Replacing the masthead wind transducer turned out to be a lot more work than anticipated but so far we are super happy with the products. Would love to get the NAC3 and hook that up for the Sailsteer to happen. The boss says its going to happen, so I better get to researching.

·
Registered
Moody 376
17 Posts
I'm trying to decide whether to replace the entire nav package. It's all 20 years old, but works.
my instruments are only slightly newer, maybe 15 years old., no chart plotter. but have cmap on my phone and paper charts. My mounted vhf works, but I'll likely buy a handheld. if/when the st60's give up the ghost I'll look at new toys. the only one I'm really worried about is depth, so long as it works all is well...

still have to go up the mast and check out the wind indicator.

my wife already thinks I'm nuts...

·
Registered
19 Posts
We replaced the near 20 year old original Raymarine systems, and Garmin3000 chartplotter, with all B&G equipment this past Fall before our vacation sail. Replacing the masthead wind transducer turned out to be a lot more work than anticipated but so far we are super happy with the products. Would love to get the NAC3 and hook that up for the Sailsteer to happen. The boss says its going to happen, so I better get to researching.
Yeah, I think B&G is the way I'm going to go, one way or the other. Glad you like yours. On my survey sail, the aenometer seemed a bit sticky, but I think that's from lack of recent use. Depth meter also seems OK, thankfully. I guess I'll find out if all of this ends up on the "must have" list pretty quickly once April comes around. I really don't want to stay up on stilts all month, even if I have to pull it out again to replace the in-hull components. It's all, you-know, "in the budget."

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Any reflections on the marina at Cambridge? We are in very early stages of planning the next few months and Cambridge came to mind as a place to stage out of to enjoy the Chesapeake.

Keep in mind we are very cheap.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
On my survey sail, the aenometer seemed a bit sticky, but I think that's from lack of recent use.
Note that the anemometer spins 24/7, so lack of recent use is not likely to be a factor. However, the crystal wearing out is a factor for these same reasons. Spider webs, bird crap, and cup breakage are other possible factors. You can usually replace the masthead unit without replacing the whole thing, if parts are available.

Reactions: mcpetrillo

·
Sailor
C & C 25
248 Posts
@ hpeer
I have been at the Cambridge marina the last 6 season. The marina is a bit dated but the price is right. I come from De so its the closet marina to our home. Walking distance to restaurants and shopping. I don't race but there is a Wednesday night beer can fleet. The sailing in the river is just as good as the bay. There are some really nice anchorages in the area. Everyone we have met at the marina is friendly and the marina staff are very good. It's roughly 15 miles to the main bay 8 miles to Oxford and 14 miles to Tilghmans island. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Jim W

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Yeah, we have been sailing the Caribbean and Newfoundland. These distances are nothing. The bay looks constraining.

·
Registered
427 Posts
What was it about Cambridge that caught your eye? Location?

If you're looking for restaurants and such, go north. If you want remote quiet, stay in the southern bay.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I asked this question on the 2020 version but received no reply. Just how far can one's boat stick past a private slip into the waterway? We are down in the Solomons, off the main channel up in a cove, if that matters. I tried googling but the answers were for marinas. Any suggestions on which agency would have jurisdiction?

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I asked this question on the 2020 version but received no reply. Just how far can one's boat stick past a private slip into the waterway? We are down in the Solomons, off the main channel up in a cove, if that matters. I tried googling but the answers were for marinas. Any suggestions on which agency would have jurisdiction?
If you're unable to find a state, county, or muni regulation, then there's probably no regulation. Is there a HOA? If so, you might check their regulations to be sure you're not violating anything.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
What was it about Cambridge that caught your eye? Location?

If you're looking for restaurants and such, go north. If you want remote quiet, stay in the southern bay.
Closecall,
Good question. We are really struggling on what to do this summer. If possible we will go to our cabin in Canada.

Baring that we need to figure some kind of plan for our summer. At least part of which would he on the Chesapeake. Our boat is a havey full keel cruiser : 6-1/2 draft, horrible in marinas. Down in the Caribbean, where she is much more appropriate, we spend all of our time in the hook. But it is hard to see how to translates to the Chesapeake. And also, we are done with big cities. 4 decades of living that way, done with it.

So what to do?

We have a vehicle, need a place to park that. Need a place to leave the boat while we visit the kids. Someplace the kids can come to the boat. Sufficient draft, ample room for our 50’ LOA (with sprit) to maneuver into a slip. Restaurants are OK. Cheap is good. Kids in Philly so access back and forth. That could kill a
or so.

Maybe we will do a clockwise Delmarva circumnavigation with a side trip up the Delaware past Philly just to say we have done it. We would do that before or after spending some time in Cambridge.

So what caught my eye? Looking for someplace to be during Covid while waiting for the Caribbean to open.

Again thanks for asking, the explanation helps me clarify my desires to myself. It is still not very clear, I am groping.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts