SailNet Community banner

101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Gary: thanks for or this :) "That was 12 years ago when I was still somewhat young at age 72. Sure miss those days!" I retired in January, turn 70 in August, feeling like I might be past the moment . This gives me hope!

·
Registered
99 Posts
We finally got the new genoa hauled up and on last night! Really hoping to get out there today, tonight, tomorrow or all 3 by anchoring out. Need to decompress, been a long work week, month, year so far.

Great pic StressedPenguin!

·
Registered
2003 Hunter 356
51 Posts
Have 50' of chain now that I got when I installed my windlass and it was a big upgrade from 20' that the PO had, might want a little more for those few times but it does the trick in the Chesapeake.

I would take the weight savings and move from the anchor dunkers, water buckets and the muddy front deck and install a wash down system, you won't have to worry about that dirty, stinky mud then...

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I have ~ 30' of chain to my Delta anchor. In most places on the Chessy the Delta will set, sometimes so well getting it up is beyond me. In those cases we have to use the boat motor over the anchor to help break it out. That then makes getting the last of the chain washed down and on board a bit of a hassle as one of us needs to be at the helm.

The technique I've adopted to both ease getting the anchor off/out of the bottom and getting the chain cleaner is this. When we have finished morning chores and could get underway at any time, but usually 30-45 minutes before we'd typically go, I'll pull us up to directly on top of the anchor washing chain as it comes on board. Then with the anchor still set, I'll snub off with the remaining chain off the bottom. The motion of the boat will then both help wash the chain and help break the anchor out. Meanwhile, I semi-relax and keep an eye out for dragging. So far, we have never had to leave before we decided to go and getting the anchor on board without a load of mud is usually much easier.

·
Registered
Moody 376
41 Posts
muddy front deck and install a wash down system, you won't have to worry about that dirty, stinky mud then...
that will likely happen at some point, My A/C intake in the V berth and I figure i could run juice from the shower sump pump, which is on its own breaker. so I have water and volts close enough, and there is enough space around the windlass to coil up a short section of garden hose.

But that might be a project for next winter or later this season. No shortage of things to do... only a few days more until splashdown...

I did remove the chain, all but 30 feet and added 150' of line.

·
Registered
99 Posts

The technique I've adopted to both ease getting the anchor off/out of the bottom and getting the chain cleaner is this. When we have finished morning chores and could get underway at any time, but usually 30-45 minutes before we'd typically go, I'll pull us up to directly on top of the anchor washing chain as it comes on board. Then with the anchor still set, I'll snub off with the remaining chain off the bottom. The motion of the boat will then both help wash the chain and help break the anchor out. Meanwhile, I semi-relax and keep an eye out for dragging. So far, we have never had to leave before we decided to go and getting the anchor on board without a load of mud is usually much easier.
I like this. This is a great idea until I can get moving on a wash down system up there.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Boat projects this year are killing my sail time... And wallet

Think twice before you choose to make your own dodger... Just say'in haha

·
Registered
99 Posts
Anyone make it out for some Saturday sailing this past weekend?

Sadly we did not make it out on the water, exactly. I got the dinghy into the water, after cleaning and coating, motor cranked up (took some pulls on the string) and there. Then we discovered the wetness in the after cabin and it was on. Started pulling everything apart, dropping down into aft lazerette area, and pulling things apart looking for the intrusion trails. We did not find something definitive, so we simply began pulling out screws of covers that we were previously lower on the "To Do" list and began the resealing process for them. Amazing how many screws there are going through the cockpit!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Boat projects this year are killing my sail time... And wallet

Think twice before you choose to make your own dodger... Just say'in haha
The frame is easy (pre fabricated bimini frame off e bay). It is the canvas work that is the challenge.

Reactions: T37Chef

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Reusing the old frame as its in good condition.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a plastic shop near Annapolis? I pulled the hatches out to replace the "glass". Annapolis Maritime Plastics is all I could find. Waiting to hear back from them.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
T37,
Are you looking to source the plastic?
Or someone to also cut the plastic?
Is it a special shape or could it be simply cut with a band saw?

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,708 Posts
I must admit that my recent dealings with AMP have been disappointing. I need to replace the lenses in my hatches and the portlights on the sides of my cabin. I am thinking of buying sheets of acrylic or polycarbonate and the router bit and making my own. The price for enough plastic varies from UV stabilized Acrylic to Polycarbonate in a range of $400 to $800. The flush trim router bits are $20 or so each.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I could cut it myself but would prefer if the shop could do it (I don't have a proper work bench at the moment). I've tried calling AMP twice now and no call back. Maybe they are shut down?

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,708 Posts
This was on the Annapolis Marine Plastics Facebook page:
"It’s been really fun and challenging doing this over the past 20 years, especially building out this shop space and hosting live music events over the past 10 years. I’ve come to the “ready to move on” place. This is one of many public announcements. Special thanks to all of my clients, friends, and supporters. I am ready to sell the business. Serious injuries only please."

The webpage appears to have been taken down and a 404 ,message comes up when i use an old link. I would venture they are not operational but do not know for sure.

Jeff

Reactions: T37Chef

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I found a shop near Baltimore that had a piece just the right size and thickness for both hatches... It's not as dark as the original but I cam live with that. They will machine it as well, so all I need to do is re-bed the acrylic and then the hatch to the boat. I think I'm going to use Butyl tape to bed it to the deck and Dow Corning 795 to bed the acrylic. The original was just screwed in, I will probably through bolt it this time. Drill the holes and add the thickened epoxy then drill the final hole. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I found a shop near Baltimore that had a piece just the right size and thickness for both hatches... It's not as dark as the original but I cam live with that. They will machine it as well, so all I need to do is re-bed the acrylic and then the hatch to the boat. I think I'm going to use Butyl tape to bed it to the deck and Dow Corning 795 to bed the acrylic. The original was just screwed in, I will probably through bolt it this time. Drill the holes and add the thickened epoxy then drill the final hole. Am I missing anything?
Don't know if you are missing anything, you probably know this already: Don't forgot to drill the holes for the screws slightly large, to allow for the different expansion coefficients of metal and plastic and avoid cracks

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
I don't know what kind of hatches you all are talking about, but a year ago I was able to get a pre-machined hatch lens from Lewmar. It was an exact fit and slipped into the aluminum frame perfectly. They had exactly one in stock, and got it to me just before the big COVID shutdown. I think I posted pictures on another thread.

Before I discovered that option, I had been talking with Select Plastics in CT about a custom machined one. They might be an option if you can't find a local shop. I strongly recommend dealing with someone who specializes in marine plastics - the local shops who do display cases and other commodities in Philadelphia made it abundantly clear that they know NOTHING about the kind of extremes of heat, moisture, and sunlight encountered in the marine environment.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
This is pretty much exactly what I do. I let the chain hang under the water surface but above the bottom and pull it up clean as a whistle. We usually eat breakfast with the anchor alarm set. We've never had our breakfast interrupted yet.

Reactions: PalmettoSailor
101 - 120 of 150 Posts