SailNet Community banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I hope everyone can put their projects away for a while and enjoy some sailing this weekend.
I don't have a boat to sail on....sniff sniff.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,708 Posts
At the moment Synergy is looking pretty naked. All her deck hardware has been removed from the deck (except the cleats, and bow and stern pulpit in preparation to paint the deck. I definitely have my work cut out for me.

It was surprisingly easy to remove the 50 pieces of hardware and close to 250 bolts, except for those few bolts that didn't want to leave. Some needed to be drilled out, and some came off via hacksaw, and Dremel.

By the way, has anyone been through Kent Narrows this season. I need to go through there Saturday on a boat with 5'-0" draft.

Jeff

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hope everyone can put their projects away for a while and enjoy some sailing this weekend.
We really, really want to do just that. Finding the water intrusion was a bummer, I think we got it though. Seems likely in the past the bimini was blocking the water egress, or minimizing it, so we did not know about it. I am glad we decided for the first time to have the cockpit enclosed in the plastic wrap, I hope they do recycle all that. It'll probably be the last time though, I have mixed feelings about all that plastic.

At the moment Synergy is looking pretty naked. All her deck hardware has been removed from the deck (except the cleats, and bow and stern pulpit in preparation to paint the deck. I definitely have my work cut out for me.

It was surprisingly easy to remove the 50 pieces of hardware and close to 250 bolts, except for those few bolts that didn't want to leave. Some needed to be drilled out, and some came off via hacksaw, and Dremel.

By the way, has anyone been through Kent Narrows this season. I need to go through there Saturday on a boat with 5'-0" draft.

Jeff
Sounds like you're going to be busy Jeff! Curious if you don't mind, what type of paint on deck do you prefer? This is a job we dread doing, at least painting the bottom doesn't require removing all the hardware.

Sorry I've never been through Kent Narrows, even thought our last boat was 5' draft I'd heard it was iffy getting through it with variances in depth.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
I haven't been through the narrows since last season but at that time... I never saw less than 6.0 feet near low tide... I think October

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,708 Posts
I have been painting the decks as a three part process. The first phases were the 1) cockpit and coamings and 2) The cabin sides and top. In the present stage and past stages I removed all of the hardware, Then primed using Petitprotect for the primer. And used Petit Easypoxy for the paint. I have been adding the Petit Performance Enhancer to the paint, I chose Petit since it covers in much fewer coats. The Performance enhancer improves gloss, brush-ability and UV protection. I was trying for an ended up with a 6 foot job, or slightly better, I was able to leave the factory non skid intact and so did not add grit to the non-skid areas. It was a little slippery the first year, but ended up being fine after a year or so. I still may do Kiwi grip or sand in the paint in non-skid areas. Jury is out on that.

Shawn, thank you for the response on Kent Narrows. We will try to go through slowly and near high tide.

Jeff

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have been painting the decks as a three part process. The first phases were the 1) cockpit and coamings and 2) The cabin sides and top. In the present stage and past stages I removed all of the hardware, Then primed using Petitprotect for the primer. And used Petit Easypoxy for the paint. I have been adding the Petit Performance Enhancer to the paint, I chose Petit since it covers in much fewer coats. The Performance enhancer improves gloss, brush-ability and UV protection. I was trying for an ended up with a 6 foot job, or slightly better, I was able to leave the factory non skid intact and so did not add grit to the non-skid areas. It was a little slippery the first year, but ended up being fine after a year or so. I still may do Kiwi grip or sand in the paint in non-skid areas. Jury is out on that.

Shawn, thank you for the response on Kent Narrows. We will try to go through slowly and near high tide.

Jeff
Thank you for the information, much appreciated! We have a few areas that could use at least a touch up, and trying to decide what the best course is.

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
46 Posts
A chance we'll get out Saturday, although Sunday looks a little warmer and I do love me an Easter cruise. I typically have to fight my inner "get the damn yard put together first" voice.
Still need to get the padeye on the mast for the whisker pole

·
Registered
Moody 376
41 Posts
saturday was a good day... ran the engine and gen at the dock for an hour at Herrington harbor North. had some freinds help me move the boat. For the first time in 3109 days, she moved under her own power. we motored down to HHS and then back up to Paradise Marina, her new home on the water. Maybe bend the sails on this weekend between rain showers. Still many more projects to go...but being on the water and floating is nice

·
Registered
99 Posts
Great pics marcjsmith, looks great!

We're still chipping away at "The List", oil/filter changed, bimini up, dodger reset (it needed reseating and a couple screws missing from purchase time), and the time consuming wash the top deck. So that was our Sunday (as Saturday was the family day and Easter for us). Would like to replace the raw-water impeller but found that its unfortunately well hidden on the port side and accessibility is not good. Checking with other owners of the same vessel to see how they attack this job.

This coming weekend not looking great but if its just rain, we won't melt so short jaunt with an overnight anchorage is not out of the realm.

·
Registered
Moody 376
41 Posts
This coming weekend not looking great but if its just rain, we won't melt so short jaunt with an overnight anchorage is not out of the realm.
working on the jabsco heads this weekend and possbily trying to fit a new mattress in the aft cabin, overnights with out functioning plumbing arent much fun...

·
Registered
Moody 376
41 Posts
the raw-water impeller but found that its unfortunately well hidden on the port side and accessibility is not good. Checking with other owners of the same vessel to see how they attack this job.
I had trouble with my raw water pump too. its on the port side and close enough to the sound-dendending foam/fuel tank that only a stubby screw driver would fit into but not enough space to actually back the screw out of the cover plate found it was easier to remove the raw water pump from the engine. and then use the chart table as a workbench for removing the impeller. a heat gun helped soften up the hoses to allow for them to be removed somewhat easily from the nipples.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had trouble with my raw water pump too. its on the port side and close enough to the sound-dendending foam/fuel tank that only a stubby screw driver would fit into but not enough space to actually back the screw out of the cover plate found it was easier to remove the raw water pump from the engine. and then use the chart table as a workbench for removing the impeller. a heat gun helped soften up the hoses to allow for them to be removed somewhat easily from the nipples.
It makes me laugh that this was something that someone put a stamp of approval on 20+ years ago when it was in "design" phase. Now that we know where to find it, we've found we have two options with it, but not both:
1. Look/view the area.
2. Touch/reach with one hand.
I might be cutting a bigger hole in that side panel once I can sit down and consider how to make the new access panel work for me instead of against me. Thankfully we are not aware of an issue that needs remedy right now, we were simply going to put a new one in because we are not aware of its condition. This way we put a mark in the ledger and know its age and condition.

I didn't consider removing the whole pump... need to check that out and see if perhaps that was why they didn't give much egress on the port side. Perhaps they simply thought the same, just remove the whole pump. Now I want to get down there and take a look at that instead!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, it's gonna be another week before I can launch. Delays, rain, more delays...yard, paint, yadayada.
Bummer! This weekend is kind of up in the air weather wise. I'm seeing conflicting reports between local weather channels, phone apps, and weather.com. I hate those types of dice-rolling forecasts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bummer! This weekend is kind of up in the air weather wise. I'm seeing conflicting reports between local weather channels, phone apps, and weather.com. I hate those types of dice-rolling forecasts.
Yeah, as long as it stays in the 60s. I'm done with the cold now.

·
Registered
Moody 376
41 Posts
I didn't consider removing the whole pump... need to check that out and see if perhaps that was why they didn't give much egress on the port side.
on my perkins its only 4 bolts and the hose clamps to remove the pump. I am glad I did. Even with good angles on the impeller working on the char table It was still a PITA to get the impeller out, no way I would have done it on the engine. plus, the chances of loosing one of the little cover plate screws to the dark nether regions under the engine/bildge is pretty great

·
Registered
99 Posts
Finally yesterday was able to at least get out to the Bay for a little while, we'll take what we can get. Whew!

121 - 140 of 150 Posts