We really, really want to do just that. Finding the water intrusion was a bummer, I think we got it though. Seems likely in the past the bimini was blocking the water egress, or minimizing it, so we did not know about it. I am glad we decided for the first time to have the cockpit enclosed in the plastic wrap, I hope they do recycle all that. It'll probably be the last time though, I have mixed feelings about all that plastic.I hope everyone can put their projects away for a while and enjoy some sailing this weekend.
Sounds like you're going to be busy Jeff! Curious if you don't mind, what type of paint on deck do you prefer? This is a job we dread doing, at least painting the bottom doesn't require removing all the hardware.At the moment Synergy is looking pretty naked. All her deck hardware has been removed from the deck (except the cleats, and bow and stern pulpit in preparation to paint the deck. I definitely have my work cut out for me.
It was surprisingly easy to remove the 50 pieces of hardware and close to 250 bolts, except for those few bolts that didn't want to leave. Some needed to be drilled out, and some came off via hacksaw, and Dremel.
By the way, has anyone been through Kent Narrows this season. I need to go through there Saturday on a boat with 5'-0" draft.
Thank you for the information, much appreciated! We have a few areas that could use at least a touch up, and trying to decide what the best course is.I have been painting the decks as a three part process. The first phases were the 1) cockpit and coamings and 2) The cabin sides and top. In the present stage and past stages I removed all of the hardware, Then primed using Petitprotect for the primer. And used Petit Easypoxy for the paint. I have been adding the Petit Performance Enhancer to the paint, I chose Petit since it covers in much fewer coats. The Performance enhancer improves gloss, brush-ability and UV protection. I was trying for an ended up with a 6 foot job, or slightly better, I was able to leave the factory non skid intact and so did not add grit to the non-skid areas. It was a little slippery the first year, but ended up being fine after a year or so. I still may do Kiwi grip or sand in the paint in non-skid areas. Jury is out on that.
Shawn, thank you for the response on Kent Narrows. We will try to go through slowly and near high tide.
working on the jabsco heads this weekend and possbily trying to fit a new mattress in the aft cabin, overnights with out functioning plumbing arent much fun...This coming weekend not looking great but if its just rain, we won't melt so short jaunt with an overnight anchorage is not out of the realm.
I had trouble with my raw water pump too. its on the port side and close enough to the sound-dendending foam/fuel tank that only a stubby screw driver would fit into but not enough space to actually back the screw out of the cover plate found it was easier to remove the raw water pump from the engine. and then use the chart table as a workbench for removing the impeller. a heat gun helped soften up the hoses to allow for them to be removed somewhat easily from the nipples.the raw-water impeller but found that its unfortunately well hidden on the port side and accessibility is not good. Checking with other owners of the same vessel to see how they attack this job.
It makes me laugh that this was something that someone put a stamp of approval on 20+ years ago when it was in "design" phase. Now that we know where to find it, we've found we have two options with it, but not both:I had trouble with my raw water pump too. its on the port side and close enough to the sound-dendending foam/fuel tank that only a stubby screw driver would fit into but not enough space to actually back the screw out of the cover plate found it was easier to remove the raw water pump from the engine. and then use the chart table as a workbench for removing the impeller. a heat gun helped soften up the hoses to allow for them to be removed somewhat easily from the nipples.
Bummer! This weekend is kind of up in the air weather wise. I'm seeing conflicting reports between local weather channels, phone apps, and weather.com. I hate those types of dice-rolling forecasts.Well, it's gonna be another week before I can launch. Delays, rain, more delays...yard, paint, yadayada.
on my perkins its only 4 bolts and the hose clamps to remove the pump. I am glad I did. Even with good angles on the impeller working on the char table It was still a PITA to get the impeller out, no way I would have done it on the engine. plus, the chances of loosing one of the little cover plate screws to the dark nether regions under the engine/bildge is pretty greatI didn't consider removing the whole pump... need to check that out and see if perhaps that was why they didn't give much egress on the port side.