SailNet Community banner

161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
There are nothing like that many pound nets on the bay, and no way to tell which are, and are not there. It shows ~20 pound nets in Herring Bay are there have never been more than 2 in the 10+ years I've sailed from there. From what I see, it looks like maybe 1 in 30 or less shown on the chart were actually there in recent years.
There is a way to tell which ones are not there - they're gray. About 1 in 30 are orange (active), the rest are gray (inactive). It only shows one orange one in Herring Bay. I can say that the orange ones in Chester River correspond pretty closely to the ones I've observed there in the past few years.

Reactions: GlanRock

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
49 Posts
FWIW, if I'm heading somewhere I don't normally travel, I will also check the USCG active NTMs for reported obstructions- which include rogue nets, along with the usual damaged buoy & daymark reports.
I recommend marking the link to report- its stupideasy to let the USCG know if a nav aid is missing/damaged, have done it a few times even while sailing past. And they even get fixed!
to report: ATON Discrepancy Report Form
to read: Local Notice to Mariners

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,761 Posts
As some of you know, I have been removing all of the hardware from Synergy's decks, filling holes from abandoned hardware, painting the decks, and rebedding all of the hardware. This has been a multi-year process as I did this in three parts. The cockpit first. Then the cabin top and sides, Now I am doing the flat part of the decks. I keep a log of each piece of hardware and a rough estimate of the number of bolts. Each phase was roughly 40 to 50 pieces of hardware, with this phase having the most bolts with over 200 bolts removed.
Here is Synergy looking pretty naked,

This weekend I applied the first coat of primer. I am using PetitProtect for the primer. Seeing the decks and house all off-white was a delight, but I am debating whether it is worth the added time and effort required to do two-tone decks with the non-skid a different color than the flatwork,

This weekend's beautiful weather was a double-edged sword. I got a lot of work done, but I sure hated missing a couple great sailing days.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
There is a way to tell which ones are not there - they're gray. About 1 in 30 are orange (active), the rest are gray (inactive). It only shows one orange one in Herring Bay. I can say that the orange ones in Chester River correspond pretty closely to the ones I've observed there in the past few years.
The orange still don't jive very well with my memory of the areas I've sailed. At Herring Bay, there used to be 2 wiers, that by my recollection, were more in the vicinity of the 4 shown on this chart in gray, almost due east of Tracy's/Rockhold Creek. (Active Captain places them near the 83A Mark as of 2020) I've never seen a weir in the location along Long Bar of one shown in Orange in Herring Bay but Active Captain does have a user note of fish traps on Long Bar in 2' of water from 2011, so it could still be there, I've certainly never been near.

No traps are shown active in the area south of Knapps Narrow's, Active Captain reported the in 2015 and by my recollection they were there last time I was in the area. Same for the entrance to West River, nothing in Orange, but I'm pretty certain at least one is still there (Active Captain update was 2014). Same for the entrance to Pax River. I've been surprised by how far out I've had to be to avoid traps approaching Pax from the North, but none are shown active. Active Captain reports these as recently as 2020.

Without the ability to filter supposedly active sites, it's inaccurate enough for my use that I'd call it next to worthless other than for noting that fish traps might be anywhere in shallower water.

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
49 Posts
True- nobody should ever rely upon a single source for nav (or any other) input. Weight its input alongside other sources according to your preference and experience.
It doesn't appear to be designed as a nav guide anyway, and it points out that it is not to be used for nav. It's a database of sites that have been registered w the State, for watermen and authorities to know where they can put something new, or for enforcement if the case arises.
As always, there is what should be , and what actually is, done.

·
Registered
Moody 376
57 Posts
Jeff, something about seeing a boat with out lifelines and stanchions. much sleeker, looks like its screaming while sitting still.

two tone is lot of work. but look sharp

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,761 Posts
I was amazed how different she looked when I saw her without all of the usual stuff. There was something very purposeful and sleek about her appearance stripped down. While not exactly the same angle you can sort of see what I mean from this earlier picture.

I am sort of torn on the two tone paint job. On one hand I am trying to visually simplify all of the bits and pieces so the boat looks a little sleeker and less cluttered. But on the other hand, I like the look of traditional covering board and king plank flat work contrasting with the non-skid. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I think that my current plan is to paint everything the same color and reinstall the hardware, If I like how that looks, that is how it will stay. Otherwise, I can mask off the flatwork and paint the non skid a contracting color. The good news is that all of the hardware is installed on flatwork or small raised plinths so I don't have to remove any hardware if I decided to go two tone.

Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the discussion about fishing areas, everyone! Seems like the consensus is the standard keep a sharp eye out during the day and don't be crazy in unfamiliar waterways at night. Hope to see you out there!

·
Registered
127 Posts
So last Friday we headed down to Annapolis, a puff filled wonderful sail down that afternoon. We saw the 6+ large freightors sitting anchored, and had to bounce around between the Navy folks who were out puttering around at 4 knots doing drills they said. They told us because in their meandering, they were in our way as we twice tried to tack to get into Annapolis. The first time they contacted us, we tacked, the second time I contacted them, asking if they are okay with me going astern of them so I could get in. They were good with it, increased speed a little I think too. The rain didn't bother us a bit overnight Saturday, and it was nice being the only anchored boat in Back River for once! We took the marine diesel course level 1! Even though we've already plenty of maintenance on our current and previous diesel engines it was still really informative and we felt like we got a lot from it. The fellow Steve who instructed was great, would highly recommend to others, especially beginners, to take it. Well worth the Sat/Sun time it took. Afterwards we enjoyed Davis' Pub, we always do, and a few other places where we got some food. The sail back Monday was spirited at first, but as the day progressed the wind slowly gave way. We had to wait to leave until afternoon due to work considerations. Arriving at home port around 7:45 PM it was overall a great weekend!

·
Registered
444 Posts
We had a very nice sail down the Rappahannock on Monday afternoon. Sailed around Windmill Point and into Little Bay for the night. Enjoyed the simultaneous sunset and full moon rise in dead calm water.

Tuesday morning brought a nice breeze so we headed out early to head back up the river. Sailing was so pleasant that we sailed several miles out into the bay before tacking towards the river's mouth. Once inside, the breeze picked up and we had a sporty sail for the 10 miles back to our marina (Yankee Point). The GPS was showing quite consistent speeds over 7 knots while just kissing 8 from time to time on a close reach. I have never sailed that fast upwind. I'm liking this new boat pretty good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, we got out of the marina for a little while this afternoon to shake down the new (to us) boat. Good thing, too. There seems to be an issue with the topping lift--it goes in the mast, but I can't see it coming out. I'll need a calmer day to check it again. Otherwise all went well, and we didn't embarass ourselves backing into the slip. So far we are enjoying our new home on the Magothy. It's a pretty river and plenty of room to avoid the motorboats. Hopefully we'll get the main sorted out by next week and see you all "out there."

·
Registered
Moody 376
57 Posts
Sunday was my wifes first visit to the boat since the refit started last year. was a beautiful day for sailing, left deale headed over to tilghman anchored in Black walnut cove, had lunch, and sailed back to deale.

tons of fishing boat trawling with the outriggers, had to keep a watchful eye.

saw gust to 20, top speed of 8.1, 1-2' swells

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thought I would let all the Chesapeake sailors know of an event happening this weekend. The Northern Neck Kiwanis is sponsoring a boat gear flea market and boat auction this Saturday, May 8. It's being held at Yankee Point Marina in Lancaster, VA. The market starts at 8 and the auction at 10. Looks like about 18 boats up for auction.12 feet to 29 feet.

·
Advanced beginner
512 Posts
Has anyone gone through Knapps Narrows this year? I thought all was good there after the dredging a couple of years ago, but last October I ran aground on the west side while following the markers pretty closely.
Haven't gone through this year yet but did also go through in October last year and was fine. The channel markers had been moved however, and don't line up with what is on NavX or Garmin, which really threw me, and I almost steered out of the channel before quickly deciding it was probably the charts that were out of date.

·
Registered
969 Posts
An update on Kent Narrows...

According to Piney Narrows Marina, at the beginning of May there were reports of a vessel striking a metallic submerged object in the north channel the Narrows. On May 4th, the Army Corp of Engineers surveyed the channel and at that time they were unable to find any submerged objects. They did find a shoal and temporary aids to navigation are to be placed around the shoal. The marina has offered that people can call their main number with further questions about the situation.

This is the USCG Broadcast Notice to Mariners from May 7:

SAFETY / MD-CHESAPEAKE BAY-CHESTER RIVER-KENT ISLAND NARROWS NORTH APPROACH (CHART 12272)-SHOALING / ATON / SEC MD-NCR BNM 065-21 / Fri, 07 May 2021 19:56:46 -0500

1. HAZARD TO NAVIGATION – A USACE SURVEY CONDUCTED ON 05/04/2021 HAS IDENTIFIED SHOALING TO A DEPTH OF FOUR FEET IN THE KENT ISLAND NARROWS NORTH APPROACH WITHIN THE CHANNEL BOUNDARIES BETWEEN KENT ISLAND NARROWS NORTH APPROACH LIGHT 2KN (LLNR 26415) AND KENT ISLAND NARROWS NORTH APPROACH LIGHT 8 (LLNR 26435).

161 - 177 of 177 Posts