SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Moorings/Sunsail 473 that is currently wired for 220.

The battery charger goes either way and the hot water heater is a simple fix.

So, I need to add a new Shore power connection then change the 8 or 10 outlets. That's it. Everything else is 12v

Has anyone here done that?

Thanks

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
The thing to watch out for is the wiring may be undersized for 110. Lower voltage means higher amperage so you need thicker wires so you may have to rewire some circuits.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Almost certainly your 220v wiring is much undersized for use with 110v. I don't know if the breakers work on 110v or not.

Another thought, if you are thinking of doing any extended cruising is to think about setting the boat up so it can work on either voltage. We have both 110 and 220 shore power hookups with the 220 going to a honking big older transformer to 110v. We found it very handy in both Australia and South Africa where being in a marina is very common.

·
Dirt Free
3,404 Posts
I bought a Moorings/Sunsail 473 that is currently wired for 220.

The battery charger goes either way and the hot water heater is a simple fix.

So, I need to add a new Shore power connection then change the 8 or 10 outlets. That's it. Everything else is 12v

Has anyone here done that?

Thanks
If you do that, you will melt stuff and your insurance company will go walkabout.
Seen it before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.