SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I am looking at purchasing an Edel 665 (22ft; fixed 3' keel) boat and would like to get an opinion on how a boat that size would fare on Lake Huron. I would be sailing out of Bayfield.

Could me, my wife and daughter enjoy daysailing as well as overnights on a boat that size (we are small people 5' to 5'7).

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
IMO it is a tender boat. the ballast/displacement ratio is under 40% so she is going to tend to heel and will be sensitive to gusts- she'll be fun, if you like to heel. if your family doesn't, it starts to suck, real quick. You're likely going to reef early. It is a boat that would be fine for sailing out of Bayfield, from a seaworthiness standpoint, but you might find that overnighting, especially in inclement weather, is uncomfortable.

I'm not a huge fan of the layout- I hate under-v-berth porta-potties.

I think you might find you outgrow the boat fairly quickly. It is a layout that is okay for two, but gets cramped with three or more, with no privacy.

I am biased, but for similar money, you can get more room, a private head, standing headroom, a private v-berth and a boat that feels like, and arguably, looks like, a tank: Georgian 23 Ft Sailboat for Sale - Cambridge Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Cambridge Canada.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for input.

The fact that I can trailer this one into my own winter storage is a plus for me. Keep costs down.

I'll have to just get inside this boat and get a real feel for the size (or lack of).

But as long as I can move around in relative comfort, through the coastal waters of Lake Huron between Grand Bend, Bayfield and perhaps a bit north of that, than I should be good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keja, I looked at one last fall under the optics of using it as a daysailor, weekender as well as being able to accommodate perhaps a week long cruise max on the St Lawrence and Lake Ontario. Like you, I was somewhat attracted to the trailering aspect not necessarily to move it around during sailing, but as a minimum, being able to bring it to the marina I would be using during the summer and use it for winter storage.

As BLJones stated, a potty system located under the V berth could prove to be not too practical, especially if one needs to use it, for whatever reason, overnight . However, if it is a conveniency that will rarely or never be used (like on my fishing boat), then that would not be a real show stopper.

Cabinwise, I would say that I personally think it is fine for daysailing and extremely/overly cozy as a weekender and short period cruising, especially in inclement weather. My recollection (I am 5'8'' and my GF 5'6'') is that the only way I could stand up, was by having the companion way in the pop-up position. Further, only one person could move about at a time and doing so hunch over. I have done my fair share of canvas camping, which I do not mind doing, and that's the feeling my GF and I got sitting inside the cabin (with the additional amenities of sink & stove) while the owner sat at the companion way entrance.

I finally elected to acquire something slightly larger but looking at various sailing vessels, I was surprised to see the difference an additional foot or two would make in terms of indoor living conditions. Having said that should not be a showstopper, if you do not mind that aspect.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Edel 6 is a good boat but launching a 3' fixed keel boat from a trailer can be a royal PITA unless you have access to a rather steep ramp or a lift. I'm assuming you are going to keep it in the water during the season.
The prices for used boats are really cheap now and you may consider getting a slightly larger boat, like a 25 footer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I probably (for sure) would not be launching it myself. I could just drive it to a marina myself and lifted into the water, where it would stay for the season.

Of course, I would love the biggest boat I could afford or get a good deal on, but I'm (my wife) is on me about keeping annual costs down. My understanding is, 26' and higher the costs really go up; but maybe they don't.

There is a Tanzer 26 that I had my eye on.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Tanzer 26 is a better boat in every way but you will not be able to take it home for the winter and thus it will cost you more. Yet the comfort and safety level for your family will be much higher as well. I would seriously think about.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
krisscross,

Thanks for the input. everyone is warning me just how small a 22ft boat really is - perhaps not worth getting into, but on the other hand, people do sail them.

basically it comes down to buy small now and sail or wait a couple of years to afford and maintain something bigger.

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
krisscross,

Thanks for the input. everyone is warning me just how small a 22ft boat really is - perhaps not worth getting into, but on the other hand, people do sail them.

basically it comes down to buy small now and sail or wait a couple of years to afford and maintain something bigger.
Having only sailed dinghies, it seems it is always better to sail, then to not sail... i.e. get what you can learn on... assuming you are comfortable with it.

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
Rather than focus on a boat's LOA, look at the ballast ratio, the LWL (length at waterline), cabin size, cockpit size, layout and the displacement. For example, a Flicka is not a big boat, at 20 feet in length on deck,shorter than an Edel 665, but it displaces almost two and a half times the displacement of the Edel 665.

A tanzer 26 is a better boat. A Tanzer 22 is a boat I would choose over the Edel.

Something to think about- trailering to save storage costs may not save you much, if you have to have the boat splashed with a crane or a lift every season. Our winter storage costs for our 23 footer including mast drop and pressure wash and spring splash and fall haul is under $650. If we didn't store it in the yard, the marine lift cost would be $150 at both ends of the season. So, if we took our boat home every winter it would save me only $350. If $350 is a deal breaker, wait until you price a new winch ;)

This is a great time to be looking at boats, and there will be lots coming on the market in the spring.
Let us know what your budget is, and the experience level of you and your crew, and we'll give you some recommendations. There is nothing more fun than spending someone else's boat money!

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
That stretch of the Huron coast is often a lee shore. Summer winds often blow out of the northwest right down onto that shoreline.
When the wind calms down it is beautiful but then sailing gets a bit difficult with no wind!

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
Rather than focus on a boat's LOA, look at the ballast ratio, the LWL (length at waterline), cabin size, cockpit size, layout and the displacement. For example, a Flicka is not a big boat, at 20 feet in length on deck,shorter than an Edel 665, but it displaces almost two and a half times the displacement of the Edel 665.

A tanzer 26 is a better boat. A Tanzer 22 is a boat I would choose over the Edel.

Something to think about- trailering to save storage costs may not save you much, if you have to have the boat splashed with a crane or a lift every season. Our winter storage costs for our 23 footer including mast drop and pressure wash and spring splash and fall haul is under $650. If we didn't store it in the yard, the marine lift cost would be $150 at both ends of the season. So, if we took our boat home every winter it would save me only $350. If $350 is a deal breaker, wait until you price a new winch ;)

This is a great time to be looking at boats, and there will be lots coming on the market in the spring.
Let us know what your budget is, and the experience level of you and your crew, and we'll give you some recommendations. There is nothing more fun than spending someone else's boat money!
This implies more than dock/marina costs.

Do you have a vehicle that allows you to tow a boat. I have a Honda Civic, and while not recommended, I can tow maybe up to 16 feet.

If I ever move up to a 22+ foot boat... I either pay for storage at the marina or get a much bigger car (less mileage)... sometimes the extra cost of one, equates the cost of another.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
krisscross,

My 'big' boat is only a 20 footer so I know a thing or two about sailing small, trailerable boats. I can camp on mine - alone - for a week or two at a time - without a problem. But my wife never even considered doing that with me. Sometimes I camped on it with my kids and they could handle it for a weekend without complaining too much. This boat costs me very little to maintain and sail, but I would likely not sail on it on Lake Huron (I sail mostly on Pamlico sound) because it would not be safe.
If you want to sail a lot for next to nothing, get a dinghy. I have a 14 foot dinghy that I sail every weekend if there is wind. It is all about finding a compromise that works for you. Whatever you do, don't put it off! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Someone else's money = my money and I got a budget of 6000-7000 max as a purchase price.

I sailed in camps way back when (mostly in the low to mid 20 foot range); but of course, back then I paid no attention to boat models and designs etc.
I've rented and sailed a 26 foot boat this past summer. My crew is my wife who has does not have any experience and my little daughter of 3.

p.s. there is a Sonic 23 on the market (which apparently has a better interior than the Tanzer 22)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This implies more than dock/marina costs.

Do you have a vehicle that allows you to tow a boat. I have a Honda Civic, and while not recommended, I can tow maybe up to 16 feet.

If I ever move up to a 22+ foot boat... I either pay for storage at the marina or get a much bigger car (less mileage)... sometimes the extra cost of one, equates the cost of another.
No problem towing. have a v6 suv.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My 'big' boat is only a 20 footer so I know a thing or two about sailing small, trailerable boats. I can camp on mine - alone - for a week or two at a time - without a problem. But my wife never even considered doing that with me. Sometimes I camped on it with my kids and they could handle it for a weekend without complaining too much. This boat costs me very little to maintain and sail, but I would likely not sail on it on Lake Huron (I sail mostly on Pamlico sound) because it would not be safe.
If you want to sail a lot for next to nothing, get a dinghy. I have a 14 foot dinghy that I sail every weekend if there is wind. It is all about finding a compromise that works for you. Whatever you do, don't put it off! :)
I want best of both worlds. Go out sailing on my own for a day (better yet, for days) AND be able to take my wife and daughter out for a day (as well as a few days).

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
I want best of both worlds. Go out sailing on my own for a day (better yet, for days) AND be able to take my wife and daughter out for a day (as well as a few days).
I think this means no dinghy... you probably want to go with the suggestion of bljones from early on in this thread...

I am sure the comfort and safety that is provided your family, will not hurt your solo time

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.