SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Senior Citizen
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What speeds are you able to achieve sailing to windward at various wind speeds? Please include headsail size.
No replies for 24 footers, increase inquiry to 30 feet.

I was out today 8/15 wind speed (guessing) 5 - 15 mph. Max speed 5.15.
140 genoa.
-CH

·
Senior Citizen
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's amazing how much faster my GPS measured speed is compared to the paddlewheel driven knotmeter on the boat.
I'm encouraged!:)
-CH

·
Freedom isn't free
3,073 Posts
Ok, so it was a confusing post... 5-15mph winds are a pretty large range, and the kind of range that would cover from ghosting to hull speed.

5 mph winds, probably 2 knots or so in my Capri 25
15 mph winds, probably 6.5 knots or so (hull speed or slightly above).

Those are close to numbers in my 26 foot S2. These would both require 155 headsail. Obviously you get these not closest to the wind, but cracked off a bit.

Again, it's kind of a vague question.. as how close to the wind do you need... if pinching, numbers go down considerably, and quickly.

·
19,488 Posts
.. and GPS speed is adding/subtracting effects of current so as far as sail trim is concerned it's not a lot of use, your knotmeter is a better tool for sailtrim.

Most knotmeters can be calibrated and many regions have 'marked miles' along shore that you can run in two directions (to negate most of the current effect) and check to see if your knotmeter is accurate. On those two runs (in opposite directions) your GPS and knotmeter averages should match up.

Far too difficult to give you a simple target speed - that's why polar diagrams were conceived..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts