SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Had earlier thread that asked for advice on this and it helped, but, I am having trouble getting more then 1 gallon of AF through. When it starts, it starts to kick it out when the stainer output line is in a bucket or the container of AF! I decompressed the engine just to get the 1 gallon in, but now not taking any more. Is it the thermostat keeping it from circulating more? I didn't take it out. I got AF coming out of the drain by the dipstick so does that mean it at least got to the mixing elbow? Or could some lines already be frozen, there were one or two freezes but then melting temps here on the Hudson. I need to boost the batteries to try to start it again, hopefully want to still get more in by holding the strainer line up and funneling it in, and have it come out the beck. (I couldn't reasonably get the hoses off the elbow to get AF into the mixer? or muffler system, they were rock hard-frozen?)
Any advice appreciated.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
T-stat should probably come out for this.

Can't you just get the engine running at idle and use the cooling water pump to suck in a gallon or two of pink stuff?

How far up the Hudson are you?

·
Registered
22,384 Posts
If there are an air breaks, many impellers won't self prime. If the impeller itself isn't shot, you may have to fill the entire input with AF, then crank it over to get it flowing.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Two possibilities come to mind. Problems with the raw water pump or a plug in the raw water cooling circuit. Based on your description, my vote is on the second. The Yanmar U-type mixing elbow is known for this problem. I would start there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts