SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings and Happy Monday. I'm new to the forum, and just started sailing a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely loving it!

I had my first capsize during my level 1 lesson on Sunday. We go out in Hunter 140's with 3 adults. We had a small craft advisory, with sustained winds around 16 kts, gusting into the low 20's. I was the extra guy in the boat on a broad reach, and while jibing, I don't think the mainsheet was let out after the turn and just like that we were swimming.

Is it normal to have 3 full-grown bodies in Hunter 140's? I'm glad we got the capsize practice, but those boats are beyond cozy with 3 people, particularly when all 3 are still learning up from down on the water. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If you thought it was too cozy and you all 3 ended up in the water... it probably was. Now, the biggest lesson to take from this is NOT what caused the splashing, but what will you do next time you have that same "too cozy" feeling? There are those who learn and those who do not and repeat (with possibly worse results).

That being said, keep at it... have fun and be safe at the same time.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts