SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

3 hp outboard--how far

5K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  IStream 
#1 ·
So I have owned many outboards but never a 3 hp and usually over at least a 20hp with a separate tank. Can anybody give me a rough ball park figure on how far a Yamaha 3hp outboard can go on a tank of gas? I ask for the slip I reserved for my boat has a canal about a mile and a half to go down to get to sailable waters. I will of course carry an extra 2-3 gallons on board but still curious.

#4 ·
Depends upon fuel tank size, how much throttle you give the boat etc. I would imagine you can get and hour or two on a typical built in tank if you are not at full throttle.

Not sure if this model has the option. but some motors with built in tanks can also draw from an auxiliary tank as well.

Marty

#5 ·
I looked up the size of the tank at 1.4L. I would say you would push an hour of operation with a tank that size. How far you'll go will depend on how fast it will push you. I would bet you'll get the 3 mile round trip done, but not much more. Top off every time, prior to casting off.

#9 ·
It is best to let the motor cool off as well before refilling. If you dribble a bit down the side you don't want flames chasing your hand with a jug of gas in it. So a smaller container is better, and less likely to spill. Also look for an older gas can that does not have the "anti spill" spout. They are kind of a good idea but most are more likely to spill rather than less. I have one that actually works well. It was cheap and at a discount store, so it has no brand name on it. (got it at Odd Lots)

#11 ·
....Also look for an older gas can that does not have the "anti spill" spout. They are kind of a good idea but most are more likely to spill rather than less.....
I've never spilled so much fuel in my entire lifetime combined, as I have with these stupid anti-spill jugs in the last few years. Insane.

#10 ·
I have a 3.5 hp Tohatsu with a 1 litre tank. I've never systemically charted it, but I think I get about 1 to 2 hrs of use before having to re-fill. Of course, it depends on what you're pushing, in what conditions, and how fast you're going.

I carry a gallon (~2 litre) tank with me at all times, and can refill in pretty quickly. No cool down period needed (so far :eek:). I certainly wouldn't want to try and refill using a 4-gallon jug. Way too heavy and awkward in a bouncing dingy.

#13 ·
I had a 2.2hp and a 3.5 hp for my Capri 25, the essential figure is that the boat was about 2000lbs heavier than your P165. I've taken the 3.5hp off and used it on a 9foot bass tender (rowboat)... it runs the same amount of time regardless it would appear. I got about 45 minutes continuous run at Wide Open Throttle (yes same for the 2.2 as the 3.5)... what I found was they were the same motor, with some kind of restrictor on it.

I was able to get about 1.5 hours out of the 3.5 at about half throttle.

You'll find that the 3.5 will easily get your p165 to full hull speed... it got my 25 footer to full hull speed with no head wind, and could get me to 4.5 knots WOT, with a 25 knot headwind (don't ask)...

I carried a 2.5 gallon jug with me (which is easy to sling around), and never had more than 2 gallons in it (less likely to spill). If you can get one of the old cans with a regular neck and a relief valve, they are superior to the Congress mandated "no spill" types. Hanging over the stern in a pounding sea is not fun either. Add to that darkness and confused seas and you have a recipe of disaster if you aren't careful (again don't ask).

Good news is those tiny outboards are work horses. Keep the plug clean, and use high test fuel, and you should have an easy to maintain reliable OB.

#14 · (Edited)
Agree with all about the rediculous new gas cans. I hate them and pull the anti-spill guts out of the nozzle right away upon buying one.

I just didn't want to run out of gas and have over a mile to go back to the marina down the canal. I would feel really bad in asking my wife to get out and swim while she was dragging the sailboat with her. :)

Now I have to find the mixture for this thing online somewhere. I venture to say it's 32:1. Hmmm, maybe I am off and it's 100:1--that's insane.

#17 ·
SERIOUSLY? I would do that in a minute. 6 gallon metal tank in the open lazarette would be nice. Have any idea where these kits can be purchased? I can search but thought I would ask.

#19 ·
I get much more than 2 hours out of my nissan/tohatsu 3.5 at half throttle, however my boat is light...

these are all similar engines...I had an evinrude 3.3 with the exact same tank, head etc...and same carb...

I dont mind the built in tank...its one less thing to deal with out there...just carry a galon jerry can and youre good for the day...

a 3 mile combined trip is just fine on the stock tank with fuel to spare...

cheers

ps, only mix what you need for the day...

Reactions: MikeOReilly
#21 ·
With my Tohatsu 3.5HP I bought an extra fuel cap and then bought a bulb fuel line with Tohatsu fittings on each end. I then used a 3.1 gal flat tank with the Tohatsu fittings for my fuel. By drilling and installing the correct fitting in the spare fuel cap I was able to pump the fuel into the tank with no mess or spillage into the water. Took about 18 pumps to fill the tank and really was not very long to do. At the end of the day I removed the new fuel cap and replaced with the original cap. I read about this and would give credit to the person, if I could remember who it was - think it may have been on the Potter site.

#23 ·
I know others will argue this point, but if you can find ethanol free fuel, it'll go a long way to preventing your fuel from going stale early (as well as finding a cap to seal off the tank). Honestly, if you are like me, you use the motor to get "out there" and to get back, and its only really used a couple hundred yards each way. The fuel in the tank will last you several outings that way. Top it off before each trip and the 2 gallon can is a "just for emergencies" kind of thing. 1 hour motoring works out to about 6 nautical miles (or 5 perhaps for the p165)... but still a good distance for a full tank. I wouldn't go crazy trying to retrofit a perfectly good integral tank outboard (which is less hassle than an external tank outboard)... use it a season that way, and then decide if you want a 4hp with external tank fittings. People love the fully integrated smaller outboards for their tenders, canoes and such so there is always an after market for motors that size.

I lean towards if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality with outboards. They create enough hassles ALL ON THEIR OWN, without help from us.

#25 · (Edited)
Agreed. I am just going to buy a few of these since my motoring each way is or could be close to 2 miles. I like the metal cans with the built in funnel. Not cheap but better than the plastic POS ones.

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.