SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my anchor rode as the PO had 3/4" three strand and there is no way I can get the chain to rode splice tight enough to fit through my windless.

So I was pricing 250' of 5/8" line, and found that Bacon & Associates in Annapolis has killer pricing on it:

5/8" New England Rope 3-strand

West Marine $1.57'
Defender $1.29'
Sailnet $298.00 (for unknown length & manufacture)
Bacon $0.62'

Normally I ask our West to match pricing, but this is so low that I'll give Bacon the business.

(I have no association whatsoever other than being a customer)

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I would recommend getting the 5/8" Octoplait, at $0.90 per foot, as it is stronger, flakes more compactly, and doesn't have the problems with hockling or unlaying that three-strand does.

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
I vote for 8-plait as well FWIW. I bought the Lewmar 8 plait and it is far softer and more flexible than 3-strand. My windlass certainly appreciates that a lot.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Exactly why is getting line that stores more compactly, is stronger, and has fewer problems than a three-strand laid line, a waste of money.... I'd be interested in hearing your reasons...
Please do not get 8 plait. It would be a grand waste of money!

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I considered the 8 plait but decided against it as I need a really good tapered chain to rode splice, and I know I can do it with the 3-strand. Besides, the rated strength is only +500lbs, and I have a huge anchor locker so flaking and compactness isn't an issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts