SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow look what I just found.

1965 Cascade 29 sailboat for sale in New York

$3500 or Best Offer; Inexpensive potential bluewater cruiser; model has circumnavigated; located on the east coast unlike most Cascades that were built in Oregon; fiberglass boat with the look and feel of a wooden boat; freshwater boat currently sailing on Lake Champlain in Chazy, New York; hull number 138; second owner; Nice vintage boat

·
Shanachie, Bristol 30
70 Posts
Hmmm. I'll bet there's 15-20K in upgrades lurking in that boat before anyone can even think of venturing out of sight of land.

There are very few great deals on old boats. Most have been sorely neglected. Some are disasters waiting to happen.

If you're happy to sail a boat in that condition, or you're willing to sink the money into it, go for it.

Just don't make the mistake of thinking you'll buy it and go sailing off into the sunset.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
offer them $3.50 for the cascade it's trashed. The C 30 has no mention of the engine. may be a Atomic 4 in 78. Catalinas are much loved boats.

Blue water?? I don't think so and I'm far from any kind of expert on what's what.

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts
Is this a plywood boat covered in West System glass?
This does not seem a very good offshore design. She looks very light and has very little hull in the water, and a pretty large cockpit. Her spars look extremely light. I think you could find a much better boat for offshore sailing.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
cascades(some are onwer finished or kits) are proven cruisers, circumnavigators...some like this one have some wierd finishes and stuff

but thats hardly trash guys...

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
cascades(some are onwer finished or kits) are proven cruisers, circumnavigators...some like this one have some wierd finishes and stuff

but thats hardly trash guys...
If by weird finishes you mean floors made out of old pallets yes it is weird.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
weird:

bulb keel on an oherwise very basic hull

the use of plywood and all wood decks and cabin on a glass hull, and cheap building practices...

having said that they dont perform that bad and have circumnavigated

one guys trash is another mans gold

btw older cascade 29 were skeg hung, newer ones were spade and the keel was reshaped...the difference in performance of the newer ones was significant.

I almost bought one in berkeley, instead I bought a IF folkboat a boat with much better pedigree and known quality.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Ed Hart's Circumnaviation

catalinas are great familiy daysailors, they are by no means bluew water boats...

the biggest issue with the cascade 29 are that for the most part they were KIT boats, like westsail 32s etc...

so some and the good ones were all glass, well made and very very strong

others had different masts, ply cabins, glassed over ply, even all wood cabins

some like the one pictured had huge ugly windows and were made quite unsightly other had small round portlights etc...

again condition depends on many factors...at least today.

cheers

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
I would look at it carefully. I used to own one with the same thoughts as you. I'm sure they are up to the task. But mine would have needed alto of upgrades to be bluewater. Pretty cool boat, but they are all over the place in terms of quality. Some were built in oregon at the shipyard and some were kits that the owner made and they could have done pretty much anything they wanted.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
If by weird finishes you mean floors made out of old pallets yes it is weird.
Front-opening household-style refrigerator doors, not a feature often seen on a Bluewater Boat... :)

I've had them on a couple of Hunters I've run... If you actually happen to be sailing, but on the wrong tack with the fridge on the high side, it's rendered essentially off limits...

Amazing...

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
After you are done equipping this kind of boat with new electronics, new rigging, adequate sails, storm equipment, life raft, EPIRB, a new or rebuilt engine, adequate pumps, fuel systems, battery system, and many more upgrades, then it might be ready to go out of sight of land. It is sheer folly to expect to have a decently safe sailboat to venture offshore for $3500, $10,000, or even $20,000 when all is said and done. Newbies and potential sailors are mislead by things like this.

·
4,354 Posts
Damm here's another deal.

A Catalina 30 for $3,900?

1978 Catalina 30 SL sailboat for sale in Connecticut
Well the price is now 9,400. Perhaps it was a bit of a typo? I know my friend's father sold the Catalina 30 I learned how to sail keel boats on last summer for $2,400 had a bit of moisture in the cabin sole, otherwise very solid well maintained, actually over maintained, boat. It was a diesel too.

·
4,354 Posts
Read Shrimpy a little plywood boat(16 feet) for 400 pounds and around the world it goes.
Great story, but was a different time, and there was not much choice for him. I am sure if he were leaving today, he would choose at least a boat like the Pearson Triton, but it was a new boat back then and out of his price range. Sure a small boat can make the journey, but your chances of succeeding are a lot better with a bit more boat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.