SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an Alden Ketch in Fort Lauderdale. I intend to sail her home in the spring, offshore, one hop. I'm seeking volunteer crew. Please be in good health, know how to steer a compass course, trim sails, and be able to identify nav lights to avoid collision. Offshore experience is good, but not required. Be personable, easy-going. a small boat at sea is no place for anger.
The boat is sound, surveyed as ready to go anywhere. She will carry an epirb and a liferaft.
I'm a lifelong sailor and a Coast Guard veteran. The crew will total four. I'm assembling a longer list of prospects, hoping to finish with four good ones, who will be available. I'll make final decisions, and ask for a firm commitment, about a month prior to sailing. I'm allowing about two weeks for the trip, but hope to make it faster. I'll provide all provisions. Crew will be asked to get themselves and their gear to Lauderdale. It's best if you come from the northeast. We can fly down for departure, and be close to home on arrival.

Message me, or email me at johngsandusky at hotmail.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
WanderingStar—

Welcome to Sailnet, and when in the spring are you looking at??? Congratulations on your purchase btw.

Also, be aware that you can't reply to PMs until you have 10 posts. I would highly recommend you go over to the Song Chain Thread and post a few times to get to the 10 required... so you can reply.

I'd also recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of your time here.

:) Welcome to the asylum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you have plans to sail around Florida over the winter? If so, I would love the opportunity to crew as a way to get to know the boat and be considered for the voyage home in the spring.

Best Regards

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in Rocky Point, the boat will live in Mount Sinai.
I'm not sure why your email didn't go through, I've recieved several.
I do intend some Florida sailing over the winter, I'll let potential crewmembers know my travel schedule. It will be a good interview for boat, crew and captain.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in Rocky Point, the boat will live in Mount Sinai.
I'm not sure why your email didn't go through, I've recieved several.
I do intend some Florida sailing over the winter, I'll let potential crewmembers know my travel schedule. It will be a good interview for boat, crew and captain.
Sounds great. For the next few months, I can be available on short notice.

Best Regards

·
Cabo Rico 38
52 Posts
Wandering Star
My name is Hal Hopkins and I live in Rock Hall on the Chesapeake Bay. August of last year I purchased a Cabo Rico 38 with dreams of extended cruising. I am looking for offshore experience. Please keep me in mind and keep in touch as your adventure unfolds. I would be very interested if the opportunity presents itself in joining you. I can be reached at jon.goose at hotmail. Congratulations on your purchase!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
May's a long month...there's a big difference in the weather with May 1, vs. May 31... :)
Of May 09 don't you understand SD?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL, yes there is a big difference between the 1st and the 31st, it's only 30 days, but sometimes it feels like a month !
Looking at my own schedule, I hope to fly down on the 14th, sail on the 16th.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Tom, which frame? Now til may? or two days to provision? In either case, I'm planning a week aboard in february, (why not, I have a boat in Florida)
I know some of the folks in the sailing assoc. I've sailed out of Mt Sinai for years. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
In your post it does not seem like you have spent much time on new the boat ? if that is not the case i have missed something

A week is sure more time to get to know the boat but not really a lot to take such a long trip in open ocean ,Please remenber i am talking about the boats weak points not yous :)

We will usally spend a week or more doing prep on a 200 mile LIS race on a boat we sail on every week

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Tom, I'm not offended, I'm just being flip. It's hard to express in message boards. I appreciate the advice, I am bringing the boat home. The boat has cruised the Bahamas twice the last two years, many times before that as well. She surveys ready to go. If we have trouble we can always divert to the coast, I'm not crossing an ocean. I agree that it would be better to have more sea time with the boat and crew, but this schedule is dictated by work, distance, pilot charts, and the next hurricane season, which she will not spend in Florida.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts