SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, as many of you know, the nylon gears in the St4000 autohelm drive can fail and they aren't available as a separate part, the only option is a whole new drive at $$$$$$.

I didn't like that option and so I spent a lot of time micing these gears and figuring out the modulus, and had several printed. Total cost including shipping was 20 bucks due to min order ( they were less than a dollar each.)

I stuck them in my drive and it works. They aren't completely exact, I figure down to max 0.2 of a mm off, but they do fit and function as needed.

They aren't as smooth as the originals, but they should smooth out with use, and it doesn't seem to effect the
function. You might find a shop that prints finer, but the guys I used said they were the smallest gears they had ever printed.

Font Cylinder Circle Auto part Metal

The 3D model used for the gears

Body jewelry Wood Creative arts Art Hardwood

The texture isn't quite as rough as it appears, some of that is just colour.

Flower Flowerpot Body jewelry Plant Petal

Household hardware Finger Automotive tire Nickel Gas

People can PM me if they want the vector diagram I created, to get some printed or print your own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all, as many of you know, the nylon gears in the St4000 autohelm drive can fail and they aren't available as a separate part, the only option is a whole new drive at $$$$$$.

I didn't like that option and so I spent a lot of time micing these gears and figuring out the modulus, and had several printed. Total cost including shipping was 20 bucks due to min order ( they were less than a dollar each.)

I stuck them in my drive and it works. They aren't completely exact, I figure down to max 0.2 of a mm off, but they do fit and function as needed.

They aren't as smooth as the originals, but they should smooth out with use, and it doesn't seem to effect the
function. You might find a shop that prints finer, but the guys I used said they were the smallest gears they had ever printed.

View attachment 144490

The 3D model used for the gears

View attachment 144491

The texture isn't quite as rough as it appears, some of that is just colour.

View attachment 144492

View attachment 144493

People can PM me if they want the vector diagram I created, to get some printed or print your own.
And you designed it yourself and just ordered the print?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi dcmeigs.
re:perhaps Autohelm’s bean counters will take notice and offer spares at a reasonable price.

I like your sense of humor.
That would be like engine makers (Volvo, Yanmar etc) offering bearings, seals, belts, gaskets or filters at a reasonable price,

Thanks for the laugh.

gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts