SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our mounts are 16 years old on the Yanmar 3gm30. And they are rusted pretty good. Anyone have experince with the mounts on Ebay from ospreyair? Those mounts are stainless and have good reviews. Any other manufacture you can recommend for motor mounts?

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,700 Posts
I had good experience with buying and installing Vetus mounts for my Universal M25. I bought Vetus K75 mounts in 2011 for ~$250 based on the size of my engine (21hp, 350lb) and reviews from others.

Reactions: Skipper Jer

·
Registered
18 Posts
Writing as a professional marine engine tech, using stainless mounts where the adjusting rod and nuts are stainless is a tricky one because as long as there are no unusual forces on them, they should be fine. But as there is tension on the rod between the adjusting and locking nut, the chances of it snapping go up considerably if there is a sudden force applied to them. Even just letting the nuts get loose can be enough to sheer a stainless rod. The Yanmar mounts have their problems, but if rust is your concern, I would solve the water problem(s) and keep up the paint on entire engine. I don't know if that helps, but I promise you, you should consider it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Our mounts are 16 years old on the Yanmar 3gm30. And they are rusted pretty good. Anyone have experince with the mounts on Ebay from ospreyair? Those mounts are stainless and have good reviews. Any other manufacture you can recommend for motor mounts?
OEM or Vibra-Sonic Control - We Solve Noise & Vibration Challenges
I like these guys. Stainless casing, ok but why. Stainless threaded parts no way. Chances of galling and lower strength issues, I'd pass. Why are you getting rust? Do you need to service something?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rust was there when we purchased the boat. The mixing elbow has been replaced so I suspect the original one leaked. As of now I see no leaks when she is running. I still have to come to terms that a piece of steel, bolt, a couple of nuts and a hunk of rubber can cost so much.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,445 Posts
If I were thinking of going non-OEM, I'd look at something that claims to help with noise and vibration, such as the link @StarTracker provided. But keep in mind that Yanmar mounts are pretty cushy and isolate vibration quite well. A yard took it upon themselves to use third party mounts when replacing two of my Yanmar mounts (compromised by old fuel leak), and the vibration and noise increase was considerable! I made them go back to Yanmars.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If I were thinking of going non-OEM, I'd look at something that claims to help with noise and vibration, such as the link @StarTracker provided. But keep in mind that Yanmar mounts are pretty cushy and isolate vibration quite well. A yard took it upon themselves to use third party mounts when replacing two of my Yanmar mounts (compromised by old fuel leak), and the vibration and noise increase was considerable! I made them go back to Yanmars.
Yup. Vibrasonic can take your existing mount specs and match, go softer, go harder etc. At least they could when I was ordering some custom mounts from them for a clients nutty re power project.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ellebogen Mounts.
They are located in Spain. Anyone knows if I have to pay VAT on those mounts when ordering from the US and having them delivered to the US?

·
Registered
51 Posts
They are located in Spain. Anyone knows if I have to pay VAT on those mounts when ordering from the US and having them delivered to the US?
no E.U. VAT but U.S import charges - depending hwo the shipment is done it will be going through export and import clearing (i.e UPS does that and collects the money) or if they send it by regular mail/parcel it might not go through customs.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no E.U. VAT but U.S import charges - depending hwo the shipment is done it will be going through export and import clearing (i.e UPS does that and collects the money) or if they send it by regular mail/parcel it might not go through customs.
Agreed, no VAT. When I ordered the VAT was dropped but the FedEx shipping charges were a bit more than I expected.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Agreed, no VAT. When I ordered the VAT was dropped but the FedEx shipping charges were a bit more than I expected.
But depending on the shipper - they might ship it through an exporter/importer which does the import clearance and tax collection. Last year I ordered sailing instruments from Canada to the US and they shipped with UPS. I ended up paying the import taxes through UPS - but seperately from the shipping fees (import taxes are not included in the shipping fees)...

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But depending on the shipper - they might ship it through an exporter/importer which does the import clearance and tax collection. Last year I ordered sailing instruments from Canada to the US and they shipped with UPS. I ended up paying the import taxes through UPS - but seperately from the shipping fees (import taxes are not included in the shipping fees)...
IF I remember I'll post the results of the shipping (whether import taxes were collected) and how the mounts perform. Right now the engine at idle shakes like a paint shaker at a big box store. I've seen you tube videos of 3 cylinder Yanmars running very smooth at idle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
IF I remember I'll post the results of the shipping (whether import taxes were collected) and how the mounts perform. Right now the engine at idle shakes like a paint shaker at a big box store. I've seen you tube videos of 3 cylinder Yanmars running very smooth at idle.
Hmmm. When was the last time you did a tune up? Are your injectors clean and functioning correctly? You get "paint shaker" from failed mounts, but also from other issues. I would start by getting your motor to run smoothly, cooling properly, fueling properly etc while you wait.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The mounts arrived today. No customs due, packed very well, very heavy, very pleased so far. Ordered on the 11th and arrived on the 13th from Spain. Now that is fast. Also I changed the fuel filter for the generator today. While my head was down in that locker with lots of light I noticed a chunk of rubber laying under the engine. More than likely from the present mounts. Looking around a bit more, WTF??? one of the nuts is missing from the bolt that holds the shaft coupler to the transmission hub. Oh, gezz, does it ever end?
Product Automotive design Font Gadget Computer hardware

1 - 16 of 16 Posts