SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot for the life of me figure out which Perkins I've got in my 1984 E40 nor can I find what i'm told the serial number looks like. Need to order parts. I definitely have either 4.108 or 4.107. The engine was rebuilt / replaced 6 years ago so it could be either. I have a few receipts from that, which do NOT say much other than things like "Rebuilt Engine". lol

These are the ONLY numbers I have found with pictures:

1. Right side (looking from front), between injector pump and oil pan gasket.
Z 2 L
MC 22260-1 (Partly pictured, right of first pic)

2. Just above bell housing / transmission
67147020-2
SG 7855-S

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well... I THINK I've found it. This helped immensely!

I was looking in the wrong place. Check this pic out. Best I could do at the angle, but it reads 108779 it might read 7108779 - but hard to tell if it's a 7 or a just a cut / damage to the metal. That is on top of the fuel injector pump mount to the block. Which according to video should be the right location.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Perkins has used 3 different serial number formats. This looks like the earliest (no letters). Page 4 of the shop manual (which you can download as a PDF) explains this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Perkins has used 3 different serial number formats. This looks like the earliest (no letters). Page 4 of the shop manual (which you can download as a PDF) explains this.
Funny thing about the shop manual. Look what I found on the boat (picture)! Number matches what's stamped on the engine. I saw this weeks ago and two things made me disregard it initially.

1. I'm on the phone with TAD (Trans Atlantic Diesel) and they swear that number is NOT a Perkins serial number at all.
2. My boat is a 1984. Could have sworn those were all Perkins 4.108s?

PS: yes, page 4 even has an example that looks just like my engine number.

How annoyed should I be that I thought I was buying a boat with 4.108? I'm pretty sure, they were actually the same block. All my parts look like 4.108 stuff from what little I know. Starting to think that when they did the rebuild of my engine 500 hours ago, it was a 4.107 block rebuilt as a 4.108. Sound about right? Would be nice to know for sure so I know what parts to order! Like, Valve Cover gasket, water pump rebuild kit just to name a few on my list.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am certainly no expert, I just became the owner of a 4.108 last fall. I Googled around, and no one anywhere that I can find has any information on those early serial numbers, not even the Perkins website. Like TAD told you on the phone, it is like they don't exist. Strange.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts