SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howzit all,
Please post your recommendations for a new motor mount. Experience with Fulton 1820 or Garelick appreciated. We have a longshaft Honda 9.9 ,4 stroke (high thrust)and our current mount is not rated for it. I've posted about custom made mounts, but got only a couple replies. Need some ideas and or pics of your custom mounts to work from. Or thoughts on possibly cutting the transom?
Mahalo,
Leonard

Attachments

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I wouldn't cut the transom. That will seriously weaken the aft end of the boat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Garelick heavy duty...

Howzit Guys,
Mahalo for the replies. We're pretty much settled on the Garelick #71091. It looks like the best we can find. I appreciate the input. We really do not want to notch the transom, was putting it out as a possibility. Our boat is similar to the Balboa in the pic. Ocean conditions here is more a factor than structural as the Cal27 comes with an outboard cut-out from the same mold. Anyway, thanks again and I'll post pics of the installed mount. Again, thanks to SD, I think you offered some input after my first querie in Aug.08. This is a Cal27 with cutout.
Aloha ka'kou,
Leonard
Ps-saw plenty whales on our sail this past Saturday!

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Went with the Garelick...

Howzit,
First off, Mahalo to all that responded. Good advice is well heeded. The Garelick #71091, is a quality product, not cheap at $400., but appears that it will get the job done. At least looking at it after installation. Wind has been 30-50 mph for 2 weeks!, so no test sail yet. I may put in a product review after testing. We backed it up with laminated 5/8 ply and used 8 thru bolts to secure it to the transom. SOLID! We set it up so that it will be clear of the water for flushing and storage. We're hoping that it will remain above water during sailing, but can always tilt it up a little for that. Couple pics of the set-up. Hope that they don't come out too big!
Aloha ka'kou,
Leonard

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts