SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ever done where people swap boats, like they sometimes do houses?

Seeing the pictures from the "Spanish Virgins" thread makes me wish I could take my boat and family there for a few weeks this summer. It seems like a long way to sail, and I bet there's some family in the Carribean that would love to visit New York and New England for a month.

Of course, I'd have to tell my insurance company, and there's probably another detail or two to sort out.

Is this ever done?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I doubt it... By swapping, you're taking on a lot of risk that the people you're swapping with won't sink or seriously damage your boat. Also, if they liveaboard, it is pretty unlikely that they'd want to entrust their entire home and all their personal possessions to someone they don't really know.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There are several sites - boatswap.com - and the like that offer matching services between boat owners. I don't know anyone who has used them, but I do know people who have swapped houses. Their experiences have ranged from great to awful - the keys are the diligence of the matching service in vetting the properties, posting of security bonds and expectation alignment between the two owners.

Having said that, there is no way in hell I'd allow a stranger to run my boat.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats why they invented charter companies. No hassle and strangers in your house and boat. You get where you pay for. :)
Very good. I see that the boat bucks add up fast when you are renting. There's always taking several months off and sailing down. I'm not ready for that yet.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i think the idea is not to pay too much money
And what will a new Bennie cost? Or a little touch to the .........:(

Very good. I see that the boat bucks add up fast when you are renting. There's always taking several months off and sailing down. I'm not ready for that yet.
Hey, you were asking for only 4 weeks. Make it 2 or perhaps 3 and get a good discount in the summer ;) That won't break a leg!

Don't do things tomorrow what you can do today. (I'm not speaking about work :D )

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point about making a shorter trip out of it. It's not in the cards for me this coming year, I think. Not when I'm saving the boat bucks for a lot of maintenance and maybe that long-range, high-up radar I've been dreaming about, complete with color LCD display.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts