SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some great success with this so I thought I'd share! My goal was to create bright, efficient, and more importantly, inexpensive lighting for my sailing dinghy without dropping in a 12V lead acid battery for incandescent bulbs.

Here's what I used (besides tools):

• Attwood 3121 navigation light: goo.gl/05pVw
  • Defiant 12 LED flashlight: goo.gl/GvZww
  • 3xAA battery pack with switch: goo.gl/F3xuW
  • Dorcy LED lantern: goo.gl/Wn2l9

Here's the LED flashlight I started with. Notice the LED pattern.
db.tt/r5sPs9cf

I cracked open the flashlight, de-soldered the LEDs, and mounted them sidways on their own solder pads. Then, I scraped off some solder mask and "doubled the thickness" of the LED stack. I wrapped two pieces of bare wire around a bottle cap and made ground rails to fit, then soldered them to the board.
db.tt/1hVqiD8d
db.tt/eiKilXkK
db.tt/5B8Eo6NQ

The LED driver was mounted to the LED board with a few stacks of double-sided foam tape.
db.tt/hs1rb0Lc
db.tt/6sveTqDL
db.tt/4Zfe6F28

For the light housing, I opened it up and removed all the fuse lamp junk, snipped and sanded the bottom flat, then attached the LED boards to it with a little tower of double-sided foam tape. I mounted it to the boat, drilled a small hole through the inside of the light housing and the boat, then ran the power wire down through it.
db.tt/G9mLjFPc

The wire soldered to the battery pack and coated with heatshrink, then attached to the boat with more double-sided tape. The switch is accessible, and the batteries are easily replaceable by removing the door from the pack.
db.tt/n8MSvYC0

For the anchor light, I simply ripped the handle off the Dorcy LED lantern and ran some rope through it. This gets tied to the end of the bow.
db.tt/GSwLlHcw
db.tt/XuiLGQgp
db.tt/Pm4Zuxzw

Hope this helps inspire you :)

·
Administrator
5,922 Posts
Sounds useful. Welcome to SailNet!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts