SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
SV Windcall
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you aren't washing down the engine by the seawater pump, START!! We are the third owner of Windcall formerly Cheers I noticed oil in the engine sump after forgetting to reconnect the generator hose, this flooded the sump and saw a lot of oil. I thought it was sloppy oil changes. Cleaned it up, two seasons later and no unusual oil consumption thought there was no problem. This spring replacing the sound insulation noticed more oil, after cleaning it up started looking, not an easy task used smart phone to take pictures. The pan by the seawater pump had rusted through. I think Hunter built the boat around the engine, had a Mechanic look at it, His response was "Anybody else willing to fix it?" We are going to have to jack up the engine enough to get to the pan and replace it, he figures 3 days labor 2 people. Ouch
The pump seal is tight no leaks but I'm sure there is a tiny amount of leakage after 16 years and almost 3K hours, well look and learn.
Gary

Attachments

·
SV Windcall
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New Pan in a big job cost about $5,000, Brian from Ultimate Truck and Auto in Cromwell Ct. Told me about a product, Flo Seal used by the Nave and Oil platforms to prevent rust.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts