SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this article. Do you agree with it?

www.yachtingmagazine.com/cruising/destinations/50-best-yachting-towns

50 Best Yachting Towns

- Beaufort, North Carolina
- Amelia Island, Florida
- Anacortes, Washington
- Annapolis, Maryland
- Astoria, Oregon
- Bayfield, Wisconsin
- Beaufort, South Carolina
- Block Island, Rhode Island
- Boothbay, Maine
- Camden, Maine
- Cape May, New Jersey
- Charleston, South Carolina
- Crisfield, Maryland
- Coronado, California
- Darien, Georgia
- Edgartown, Massachusetts
- The Florida Keys
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Greenport, New York
- Harbor Springs, Michigan
- Marblehead, Massachusetts
- Montauk, New York
- Muskegon, Michigan
- Mystic, Connecticut
- Nantucket, Massachusetts
- New Bedford, Massachusetts
- Newburyport, Massachusetts
- Newport, Rhode Island
- Oyster Bay, New York
- Point Pleasant, New Jersey
- Port Charlotte, Florida
- Port Jefferson, New York
- Portsmouth, New Hampshire
- Port Washington, New York
- Port Washington, Wisconsin
- Roche Harbor, Washington
- Rockland, Maine
- Sag Harbor, New York
- San Diego, California
- San Francisco, California
- Santa Barbara, California
- Santa Cruz, California
- Sidney, British Columbia
- South Haven, Michigan
- St. Augustine, Florida
- Stonington, Connecticut
- Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
- Traverse City, Michigan
- Victoria, British Columbia
- Virginia Beach, Virginia

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Well I'm not generally a "list" guy but this is a "yachting" list, not necessarily a sailing list?

Because a few of these are better as powerboat ports and are kind of commercial (New Bedford). Which is fine, but not necessarily for sailing, some are a bit of a trek from harbor to sailing area (Newburyport).

Plus, except for Port Charlotte, the whole Gulf Coast gets short shrift? I grew up in Marblehead so I agree with many of the northeastern ports, but have lived in New Orleans a long time now, the sailing is pretty good here. Ditto Destin, Gulfport, Mobile Bay, Pensacola, and some of the Texas ports too. Plus year-round and a good bit cheaper and more accessible to the average Joe or Jane.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hell yes! There's Muskegon, MI right there on the list. Not only is the sailing great, but it's an affordable place to live.

We have five mile long Muskegon Lake and Lake Michigan to choose from on any given day.

Cost of living is very reasonable here.

Muskegon rocks!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The subject of 50 best cities for sailing on an international level that Yachting Magazine caters to leaves out several countries. I think I only saw 2 listings that were not in USA. I don't read Yachting magazine so I don't know if they were only talking about the US or not, but there is much better sailing venues in the ole "blue marble" than what the list offers.
just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
I would say it's probably a pretty good list of town where you could pull up a bar stool anywhere within and likely find a sailing bum pouring your beer. That actually has some value in being able to find what you're looking for. The best sail loft, an odd part, anchorage advice, etc.

Otherwise, it's clearly not a list of the best place to sail. Even Newport, RI, itself is about the last place I choose to spend the weekend around here.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
I think the post above that said bodies of water are more important than cities is correct. To my mind, in the US, that means estuaries and archipelagos so:

Long Island Sound
Most of the Pacific Northwest
Chesapeake Bay
Florida Keys

There are many places on the published list I really like as destinations, but as a hub to sail from perhaps not so much.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts