SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
It kind of looks like the boats we built in our garages in junior high school would have looked, if we had had more money. :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
One mans dream,.......

I have to wonder how those two outboards will control a boat with all that windage in a blow or rough water. I don't think I want to be the first guest on that eco tour.

·
Master Mariner
9,107 Posts
Do they even make outboards with shafts long enough to work on that boat, beyond the marina breakwater? I really want to see a 25hp outboard mounted on that bracket. NOT!
Does this thing come with a "get out of trouble at sea free, card"? Better have the CG on speed dial, if it leaves the dock again.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
I hope the builder had some sort of ventilation planned. I would hate to see allthe plywood start to rot.

Did he try some sort retractable outrigger beams? Can such a mechanism work?

I hope a ventilation method is still being worked out,

Non vented plywood boats can rot very quickly.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
it is a very interesting concept. Some of his ideas are spot on, but the engineering and practical use of them are far off of the mark.

He is correct in that a motorcruiser does not need to be super heavy and inefficient. And a long skinny hull does go through water better than a blunt beamy one.

I think if he hooked up with a semi-decent or even an amateur marine engineer, he could be onto something

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
never bash someones baby or project, even if you think its awful...

damn guys

give the man some credit..yes it looks weird is narrow, unconventional but calling it a pos just shows lack of respect

all jokes aside and looks aside, I bet it does skim over the water just fine with 2 6hp outboards...

peace

Reactions: MedSailor

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
never bash someones baby or project, even if you think its awful...

damn guys

give the man some credit..yes it looks weird is narrow, unconventional but calling it a pos just shows lack of respect

all jokes aside and looks aside, I bet it does skim over the water just fine with 2 6hp outboards...

peace
CH.. you don't want to hang out on the wooden boat forum then! It's brutal!

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
The story is interesting, it's fun to read about people's projects and dreams even if they don't end up being very successful.

It's too bad that he never actually really tried it. The outboards are located near the center and will probably cavitate sometimes, but I don't think they'll cavitate constantly.

It would be good for the new owner to use the boat around some protected water before trying to take it on a long ocean voyage south. This is clearly a lightly built boat.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
they keep trying, but there's a saying; "No such thing as a new hull design" I may not be highly educated in such things, but there are so many ways to make the same thing seem new it's bewildering.

It really looks like a trimaran without sail rig.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Jeeeesh....where do I begin. That's one goofy boat. Just one item of extreme goofiness is the mounts for the motors. In the event that the boat is actually able to move, the bow wakes from the adjacent hulls will build up on the boards that the motors are mounted on, and likely swamp the motors.

I'm guessing he couldn't figure out how to mount the motors at the stern, or maybe it never occurred to him.

·
Registered
78 Posts
He may be on to something in some way, but the idea of relying on those "wing-mounted" outboards for steering is a guaranteed fail. If simplicity was his goal, one has to wonder why he didn't go with a single inboard engine.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,489 Posts
Boy, some of you lot make for a tough crowd.

Frankly, I think it looks reasonably good. The hulls are essentially monocoque and stressed skin plywood construction which have been used for everything from Mosquito Bombers built by de Havilland (in two pieces by the way) which proved to be some of the best, most enduring, aircraft of WWII to the Patrol Torpedo ("PT") boats made famous by Jack Kennedy, to the LCVP's built by Higgens to the 1950's era Thunderbird 26 sailboat designed by Ben Seaborne for the Douglas Fir Plywood Association (see insert below). Moreover the lightweight flexible ama trimaran has an ancient history and has been employed in both the Searunner and later, Cross Trimarans. If that fellow simply added a mast, I suspect many would be cooing about "how cool" and inventive the design/construction was/is.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I had to take a bunch of "management" classes back in the eighties and the one thing they all extolled was the concept "You don't need to know how to make a widget to manage a widget factory".
So for a guy that knows nothing about boats or building them I say "Good Effort" but you are not up for employee of the month.
BTW He used "hardware store" plywood and those little shiney L brackets to fasten the ribs so they must be plenty strong for the trip to Brazil.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Years ago I had a 32 ft trimaran motorsailer that had a BMW twelve horse diesel inboard. Put a mast and sails on it and people would think wow not eeew

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
CH.. you don't want to hang out on the wooden boat forum then! It's brutal!
im sure they are...but I had my restored hereshoff h28 already and could bash along with the best of them...snobs and traditionalists all day...

btdt...

oh hang out on old motorcycle threads enough and they put sail forums to shame

ever restore an old cb honda and try to go onto a norton forum and say your bike is better? ajajajajajajajajaa:D:D:D

just saying its not nice to bash someones project despite how ugly or useless it may seem:)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts