SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Deskchair 9000
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not an expert but this looks horrendous.
It is not leaking yet but am wondering how to prioritize this in the refit..
I dont know how thick the metal is or how much corrosion is acceptable.

Would you not go out without changing the tank ?
or can this wait a year ?

Looking for general guidance/thoughts.

Thanks

Wood Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Water
Automotive tire Road surface Tire Wood Asphalt
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wood Asphalt

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,992 Posts
First thought, welcome to SN!
Other thoughts come to mind What boat what size boat what size tank looks like it's Steel do you think it can be removed on One Piece steel is easy to cut up diesel isn't usually a fire hazard with Sparks we (my employees) used to cut oil tanks up when doing gas heating installations
I personally am very supportive of plastic for fuel tanks they meet the code qualifications. company like Moeller mfg all kinds of sizes that can usually find ahome and an old boat.

·
Registered
Deskchair 9000
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thought, welcome to SN!
Other thoughts come to mind What boat what size boat what size tank looks like it's Steel do you think it can be removed on One Piece steel is easy to cut up diesel isn't usually a fire hazard with Sparks we (my employees) used to cut oil tanks up when doing gas heating installations
I personally am very supportive of plastic for fuel tanks they meet the code qualifications. company like Moeller mfg all kinds of sizes that can usually find ahome and an old boat.
Hi ! Thanks !

The Tank is 165gal and the boat is 40ft

thanks for the recommendation !

·
Registered
987 Posts
Not an expert but this looks horrendous.
It is not leaking yet but am wondering how to prioritize this in the refit..
I dont know how thick the metal is or how much corrosion is acceptable.

Would you not go out without changing the tank ?
or can this wait a year ?

Looking for general guidance/thoughts.

Thanks

View attachment 144407 View attachment 144408 View attachment 144409
That looks like a catastrophic failure waiting to happen! Glad it's not leaking but defiantly needs to be high on the list.

165 gal... Is it your only tank? Since it's got to go, you might consider a series of smaller tanks that would give you options for maintenance and repairs down the line.

Maybe start by installing a 'day tank' (big enough for ~24 hrs of run time) that would keep you cruising while you drain the old tank and work out the project details. You could even accomplish that by installing the day tank plumbing and temporarily using a jerry can.

Curious, what are the boat details? I gather this isn't on the DeskChair 9000.

·
Registered
Deskchair 9000
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My steel tanks didn't look nearly that bad when they started to leak from the bottom welds.
Cutting them out was a miserable job.

That looks like a catastrophic failure waiting to happen! Glad it's not leaking but defiantly needs to be high on the list.

165 gal... Is it your only tank? Since it's got to go, you might consider a series of smaller tanks that would give you options for maintenance and repairs down the line.

Maybe start by installing a 'day tank' (big enough for ~24 hrs of run time) that would keep you cruising while you drain the old tank and work out the project details. You could even accomplish that by installing the day tank plumbing and temporarily using a jerry can.

Curious, what are the boat details? I gather this isn't on the DeskChair 9000.
Thanks for sharing, looks like its what I feared.
Very much regretting filling up the gas tank now.. anyone wanna hold 160gal of diesel for me 😅?

To answer your questions Phil:
yes its my only tank. thankfully we are currently at a slip and have until January.

The boat is a Challenger 38 Ketch(1972)

Any advice on what to do with the fuel currently in the tank.. ?
thanks

·
Registered
987 Posts
Any advice on what to do with the fuel currently in the tank.. ?
That's a bit of a problem.

Maybe you have a sympathetic dock neighbor who will take it off your hands 5 gallons a time?

Prefabricated fuel tanks come in many shapes and sizes. If you opt for multiple distributed tanks on the boat, you could phase out the bad one as you install new ones.

Maybe renting a storage tank or bag? Someone who does fuel polishing might have an idea.

·
Dirt Free
3,366 Posts
Food for thought when designing new tanks ....
The bottoms of our tanks had corroded due to water sitting in the bottom.

When we replaced the steel tanks with aluminum, we designed them with a fuel feed from the lowest point of the tank rather than the common feed tube from the top which leaves room for about 1" of bacteria and water to collect.

My feeling was that feeding from the bottom would never allow bacteria or water to collect on the bottom. They have worked well now for around 800hrs.

Attachments

·
Emmalina
175 Posts
One of my steel tanks failed as water ingress had corroded it between the bulkhead and the tank. I have 2x200 gallon tanks and at the time they were connected in parallel to balance the boat... Long story short I wasn,t on the boat at the time and it was an expensive leak, It was hard to remove requiring the genset removal and half the engine. I then made a new one using epoxy and am very happy with the results.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,992 Posts
With thecost of fuel and winter not too far away you could probably find somebody that wants fuel, it doesn't go bad it just needs to be filtered, you might try calling some of the local heating oil delivery companies because many of them pump oil out of Tanks.

You would be almost guaranteed if you put an ad "free fuel come and get" it but you do the pumping get yourself an electric or hand crank pump and you pump it from the boat into the person's containers.
we're talking four to six dollars a gallon for fuel somebody will want it, hard part is finding someone to take it.

·
Registered
Deskchair 9000
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With thecost of fuel and winter not too far away you could probably find somebody that wants fuel, it doesn't go bad it just needs to be filtered, you might try calling some of the local heating oil delivery companies because many of them pump oil out of Tanks.

You would be almost guaranteed if you put an ad "free fuel come and get" it but you do the pumping get yourself an electric or hand crank pump and you pump it from the boat into the person's containers.
we're talking four to six dollars a gallon for fuel somebody will want it, hard part is finding someone to take it.
Thanks for the ideas, Im thinking of posting an ad on the facebook group of my marina, hopefully that bites.

You must be a northerner, no heating required down here in Miami :p

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Well if it is not leaking then I would carry on using it until the fuel ran low then replace the tank. The real challenge is corrosion on the inside. First warning is a drip of diesel.
A plastic tank will not corrode. When installed, I made an aluminium heat shield around my plastic tank to give some measure of fire defence. My other tank is stainless. They hold each 100 litre.

If you opt for a stainless tank then the tank mounts must hold the tank proud of the hull and it must not rest on damp wood below. Stainless must be oxygenated. Also the inspection hatch must be above the lowest run of the tank. You MUST keep seawater out of a stainless tank. De-oxygenated seawater still has chlorides in it and in absence of oxygen (bacteria will thieve the oxygen) the chlorides will attack the stainless and it can be very rapid.
Shine a flashlight in there through the inspection hatch and you will see water easily and you can purge it out.

A last point. If you have an external tank breather then fit a storm valve to the top of the tank breather so you can switch to an internal breather (diesel only - not gasoline) in a heavy sea. In a big Atlantic swell I have seen waves come right over the top of my noble Union 36 and such wave slap simply squirted seawater up the breather and into the tank. A broach to port would have been worse. It would invade the breather then down into the tank when the ship righted again.

Rockter.

·
Registered
Deskchair 9000
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well if it is not leaking then I would carry on using it until the fuel ran low then replace the tank. The real challenge is corrosion on the inside. First warning is a drip of diesel.
A plastic tank will not corrode. When installed, I made an aluminium heat shield around my plastic tank to give some measure of fire defence. My other tank is stainless. They hold each 100 litre.

If you opt for a stainless tank then the tank mounts must hold the tank proud of the hull and it must not rest on damp wood below. Stainless must be oxygenated. Also the inspection hatch must be above the lowest run of the tank. You MUST keep seawater out of a stainless tank. De-oxygenated seawater still has chlorides in it and in absence of oxygen (bacteria will thieve the oxygen) the chlorides will attack the stainless and it can be very rapid.
Shine a flashlight in there through the inspection hatch and you will see water easily and you can purge it out.

A last point. If you have an external tank breather then fit a storm valve to the top of the tank breather so you can switch to an internal breather (diesel only - not gasoline) in a heavy sea. In a big Atlantic swell I have seen waves come right over the top of my noble Union 36 and such wave slap simply squirted seawater up the breather and into the tank. A broach to port would have been worse. It would invade the breather then down into the tank when the ship righted again.

Rockter.
The problem with that strategy is knowing where ill be when the fuel runs low. I might use 1/3 of a gal going in and out of my slip the rare times I'm going out (currently in refit mode).
So will definitely have a full tank by the time D-day (January) arrives to cruise the bahamas and onwards.
At 0.75GPH and estimating 2h of running time per day 150/(0.75*2)~ 100 days.
Perhaps I aim to get to Luperon and do it there.. meanwhile the leak could start at any time.

I am opting for a plastic tank and will go down to ~80-110gal capacity.
Looking forward to making that bilge area more usable with a better fitted tank and actual access..

Thanks for the storm valve info. Think i read that in the thornless path ? will be sure to tick that box when the time comes.

Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
15 Posts
Go to a truck stop and talk to a truck driver. An owner operator. 165 gallons is about a two days supply for them. Sell it well below market value to make it worth their while. When the Bilge pump starts pumping diesel into the marina, that’s your punch in the face.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts