SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(sorry, posted in the outboard section but seemed to get very few views there).

Am looking for a 55lb thrust trolling motor. It is for a Bristol 24 sailboat. And, the motor is needed only to get out of the marina and down the estuary to the bay. Even one way is fine as the return is downwind.

There are Salt Water Riptide Minn Kotas for $410 as here: http://www.westmarine.com/minn-kota...6412?AID=11424565&PID=6153940&SID=gqzclvoi27e

And, a fresh water one WITH CHARGER :http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boat...rd1406385&WTz_l=SBC;BRprd1406385;cat104645880

The second one looks tempting if washing with freshwater after use is all it takes. Am assuming there are the same in most other ways.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are craigslist ones reliable? presumably, no guarantee on a re-sale.

also, do you know if rinsing it off after use allows one to use a fresh water motor?

·
2,449 Posts
Reactions: andyselzn

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet. What amount of thrust for a 5900 lb displacement sail boat? Mainly to motor out of a long channel. It takes about 46 tacks if by sail.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I used a 45lbs motor on a 30' 3600lbs boat. In dead calm days we could hit a whopping 2.5kn. Into a headwind it depended, but generally we would just sail. You are heavier and shorter and thus will require more power... You probably need to go to 24v honestly, at least if you need to go any distance. If not try it with one and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I just picked up a Watersnake Venom 55lb thrust salt water trolling motor from Amazon for $228 including shipping. IMHO you pay a lot for the Minn Kota name.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Sweet. What amount of thrust for a 5900 lb displacement sail boat? Mainly to motor out of a long channel. It takes about 46 tacks if by sail.
I have a Minn Kota 74 lb thrust motor on my 22' boat, which with me in it probably weights 2600 lbs. I can do a whopping 3.2 knots in calm water with the keel down and a semi-clean bottom.

This is a 24 volt motor, so I have two batteries in series. It adds complexity, but if you're trying to push 5900 lbs around... I think I'd want the 74 at least.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You can get them on Amazon for about $200. They are Fresh water, but the saltwater ones are for long immersions in saltwater. Just take it out and rinse with fresh water. People have told me that a 12 volt 80 amp(24 series) battery is good for about 9 hours on a lake. To get in and out of your slip or mooring, a regular 24 series should be plenty. Just buy a charger and take the battery home after every use and charge it.

I'M PLANNING on putting a 30lb thrust one for $79 on the Yacht Club Dinghy or on my kayak, to motor out 200 yards to my mooring. On the kayak people have told me it will be like a 2 HP engine on an inflatable. I'll find out I guess.(btw, I have removable outriggers on the kayak to stabilize it for sailboat loading and trolling motor operation, since I don't want to be doing any rolls in either of those conditions.

I expect to put it on the sailboat, and keep it there for a back up to the 5HP Honda OB engine.

BTW, If you are thinking of putting two 55lbers on, you won't get double the thrust. People who have done that have not been happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts