SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking to get an inexpensive salt-water okay trolling motor. Given a 12v battery, I believe 55lbs thrust is the max. Any suggestions?

Also, want to sell a two stroke Seagull 6hp. It runs well. Is eBay my best option? Price range?

Thanks!

·
Freedom isn't free
3,136 Posts
I am assuming you are talking about for a dink... Otherwise Torqueedo might be better suited for a sailboat.

The minn kota saltwater series would be great for the dink.
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/trolling_motors/saltwater_transom_mount/riptide_transom.aspx
It looks like they make them to 112lbs of thrust at higher voltage. But yeah, 55lbs at 12V. years ago, Minn made the 2HP and 3HP models (I think freshwater only), but they made a RARE 3HP in 12V (I know because I had one).. the 3HP is equivalent to about 150lbs of thrust...

That 3HP 12V would eat a big deep cycle battery. My take? the non-saltwater models would hold up OK to brackish water, one could put anti-fouling on the "pod" on the bottom and it'd hold up reasonably well if more salty. But you'd have to wash the unit down with freshwater after use (I state this as you might be able to craigslist an old 3HP 12V freshwater model, with expectations of it corroding quick).

We killed in inland lakes with our 3HP electric motor in bass tourneys on ELECTRIC only lakes... on our little 9ft Bass Tender boat. These guys with $40,000 bass boats with 275HP V6 motors were watching in disbelief as this 9ft ABS plastic boat buzzed by them nearly on a plane with an electric motor ;)

That's all I got.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It is Bristol 24 sailboat. And, the motor is needed only to get out of the marina and down the estuary to the bay. Even one way is fine as the return is downwind.

There are Salt Water Riptide Minn Kotas for $410 as here: MINN KOTA Riptide Saltwater Transom Mount Trolling Motors | West Marine

And, a fresh water one WITH CHARGER :http://www.cabelas.com/product/MINN...T.mc_id=Shopzilla&WT.z_mc_id1=03926269&rid=40

The second one looks tempting if washing with freshwater after use is all it takes. Am assuming there are the same in most other ways. Did you mean that any freshwater can be maintained well with a rinse off after each use? All comments appreciated.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The second one looks tempting if washing with freshwater after use is all it takes. Am assuming there are the same in most other ways. Did you mean that any freshwater can be maintained well with a rinse off after each use? All comments appreciated.
My impression from local people who have used a freshwater one in the ocean is that they just rinse it off with fresh water after use. The Saltwater ones are designed for continuous saltwater immersion. Its the seals that are a problem. Maybe if you just spray WD 40 on the seals on a regular basis along with a rinse you should be fine.

"Re: Non-saltwater trolling motor in saltwater? Is it OK?

..... I've been using mine in salt water its whole life. It's a cheepie $95 24# bought it about 7 years ago, and the only thing I've done to it is reinforce the mounting bracket. Now yall have mentioned circuit boards/electronics, I wouldn't think mine has that in it. I understand some newer models have them in the motor compartment, correct me if I'm wrong. I just bought an Allterain bow mount tiller 40#. I know its not saltwater duty. I hope it doesn't have the electronics yall are talking about. The electronics, would that be for the fancy auto pilot ones??Beck"

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...altwater-trolling-motor-in-saltwater-is-it-ok

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.