SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everybody. I am from Greece and new to the sailing world.
I am planning to buy a small 6.5m sailboat. It is a 1980 Comet 700 but there are other alternatives, always in the same length range, 6.5-7.0m.
I plan to use it mainly for small trips around the Ionian islands (not Aegean) and i am wondering if it is dangerous to make such trips with such a small sailboat. Please take into account that the boat weighs only 1300kg.
Any reply will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Is it safe NO. Nothing is safe. But people have been sailing boats like like that in that area for many many years. In my view the risk is acceptable.

Just listen to the weather forecasts, be very weather aware and reef early if in doubt.

I sailed a boat that size from Pula down to Albania and back one summer, had a great time.

·
599 Posts
Make sure you have safety equipment - PFD, flares, anchor, VHF, etc. Check the weather forecast. File a float plan (i.e. tell somebody you are out there). Start local and build up to longer cruising.

People have crossed the Atlantic in 7m boats. Okay, it took along time, but a seaworthy boat - even that size - can be safe if well prepared and well handled. Tinkerbelle was only 13' (4m). Need more inspiration? See Food list

Crossing the road is dangerous. Take it slow, think it through, and you will reduce risks to a minimum....small boats can be very seaworthy and a lot of fun.

Good luck and go sailing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts