SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
9,046 Posts
Whatever floats your boat! That is a really bizarre design.
-There is no 'main salon'
-The captain and the two aft cabins are accessed through their own companionways with the captain's cabin access essentially being in the chain locker.
-I assume there is a genset under the main companionway stairs
-For all of the berths and all of the heads, there is not a single dedicated shower.
-There is almost no ventilation down below so I assume the interior is air conditioned.
-The mainsheet layout and self-taking jib suggest that sailing performance has taken a backseat to ease of handling.

That is pretty close to the antithesis of my idea of what I would want in a boat.

Jeff

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
It reminds me of a Bennie that was built for the charter trade some years back - the entire interior was sleeping cabins and all living, cooking etc. was done on deck.

Great for an always warm climate where it only rains when you are asleep.

Reactions: zeehag

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
A great design for what the want.
And it looks like Dream Yach Charters specced it.

Galley and living area all in the enclosable cockpit.
I dunno what the number of boats expected to be built but its perfect for BVIs, Tonga, Greek Isles and Turkey. You never need to cook on board as you can stop at restaurants.

On the Charter thing, remember there's many tiers now, new boats, down to quite affordable older charter boats.

:)

·
1968 Columbia 50
Columbia 50
436 Posts
I saw somewhere in some marketing in the last day I saw a boat called a "sailcat monohull" or something along those lines that I think might be this...but I cannot find it again...

I cannot say I care for the design at all...but someone must like it..

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
I saw somewhere in some marketing in the last day I saw a boat called a "sailcat monohull" or something along those lines that I think might be this...but I cannot find it again...

It was in the link.
On the exterior, this monocat features a vast and versatile cockpit layout that can be modified to suit diverse programs.
Note the word "programs". It's not designed for normal buyers.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,464 Posts
Why?

I can't imagine sharing that little space with that many people.

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw that too. I am not certain what its referring to. My guess is the raised catamaran bridge deck style galley and salon?

·
Master Mariner
8,365 Posts
12 guests on a 47 footer? That's just insane.
Six groups of 2 friends and I'm pretty sure there would be some broken friendships and most family dynamics require a bit more space for a family that large.
I doubt this design will be popular down here, trying to cram 13 people into the cockpit for a nasty channel crossing. I guess you could put them on a watch schedule, those off watch in bed for 8 hours and up and about for 4 for their watch. lol

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I can see how that could be used. If you had a group of students and $$$ per person was prime consideration that boat would be just the thing. A scout troop or even a bunch of college kids wouldn't care about the tight living arrangements, and might not care how well it sailed.

And it says “designed first and foremost to be chartered by berth” which makes me think they wouldn’t necessarily be chartering it to a group, but instead be taking on pairs of people like a tour boat. When I was younger and took some bum-around trips in the tropics I might have gone for something like that. In those days we were looking for new adventures, but stuff had to be cheap.

F*ck though. 13 people on a 47’ boat? Yikes.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Oh wow, I just took a closer look at the stats. It's really only a 43' 4" boat.

13 people on a 43' boat.

And 33,000 lbs too, pretty heavy for a 43

·
Master Mariner
8,365 Posts
And it says “designed first and foremost to be chartered by berth” .
If you go on this basis, not too many charters are going to want to share a double birth with a stranger, so in essence, you still have a 6 pax boat, IMO. I didn't like hot racking it as a professional and I'm sure not going to be paying to do it.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
If you go on this basis, not too many charters are going to want to share a double birth with a stranger, so in essence, you still have a 6 pax boat, IMO. I didn't like hot racking it as a professional and I'm sure not going to be paying to do it.
Ummmm yes they will.
Spring break kids. Gay groups, hens parties, Stag Parties, SINGLES

Lots of non-families out there. :grin

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I'm thinking of when my girlfriend and I went to Belize when we were 27. We were looking for anything cheap. We found a cheap flight to Guatemala, so we did that and saw Tikal. If we had heard about a cheap couple nights on a sailboat we probably would have done that too. I didn't know anything about sailing then, so poor sailing characteristics wouldn't have been an issue. We were 27 so cramped quarters were not a big deal. Probably would have been a party situation, so we would have fit right into that.

I can see it working.

·
12,114 Posts
Better suited for camping ....all it needs is a fire pit for marshmallows.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Specs: yeah, 43’
Water tanks?
Fuel tanks?
Engine?

I can’t imagine actually sailing a boat with that many critters aboard. I think this would be a perfect punishment for a wayward Captain.

This is a boat that’s meant to float on a mooring somewhere.

I recently read how there are some companies who are making fake vacation photos. This boat reminds not me of that, fake sailing.

I’d live or know where these will be deployed so I can avoid the spot.

Reactions: zeehag

·
Registered
21,758 Posts
That thing sure made me throw up in my mouth a little. :)

However, I have confidence that Jeanneau knows what they're doing to create a charter fleet. That requires two key criteria. Obvious, it needs to be rentable. However, it also needs to be priced affordably, so an owner buys it and puts it in the fleet. 90+% of the charter fleet are individually owned and it's strictly a price/numbers game (usually foisted on the prospective owner, while intoxicated, just like a time share).

This past winter, I saw a Jeanneau that was in the charter fleet in the VIs. It wasn't the abomination above, but it had a fascinating feature. Dual helms, where you could walk out the side of the helm, directly onto the side deck and there was a clear path all the way to the bow. It was a 40ish foot boat. The entirety of the vessel wasn't my cup of tea, but stand alone, it was a slick design feature.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I can see this design working as a charter for younger folks looking for a cheap thrill.

It's going to be damn near worthless after it's chartering days are over, though. Who would buy such a boat who wasn't going to charter it? Maybe a swinger group who hosts a lot of parties on the water?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts