SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21,681 Posts
....It's going to be damn near worthless after it's chartering days are over, though. .....
From a personal point of view, I totally agree. However, the individual owner nature of these charter fleets requires the ability to upsell the owner, when the initial 3-6 year period is over. I suspect they've factored that in somehow. It's the only way they sell the next gen of boats. The really big fleets often take the old hull on trade (although, I have to assume you could do better yourself, just like trading in a car).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Huh.

3-4 too many cabins for a 43 footer, to my taste.
3 companionways is an interesting choice. 2 families with kids?
The crew cabin is, per usual, a horrorshow, but better that the Moorings 50.5?

My favorite feature is that it looks like you have to go forward to trim the jib.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Here's another article about it:
Jeanneau Sun Loft 47, for charter. Without compromises

The headline is absurd, since the boat is nothing but compromises.

The Sun Loft 47 was created at the express request of the marketing department of Les Herbiers shipyard to be offered to tour operators and charter companies such as The Yacht Week, MedSailors, G Adventures or Dream Yacht Charter and therefore mainly for single boarding, for those who want, first of all, to meet new people.

·
Super Moderator
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It definitely sounds like the charter industry has identified a market and are having boats built specifically for that market.

I guess you could look at it as a hostel or as a very small cruise ship.

They must have somebody in mind to skipper them too. That's a lot of work single handling a boat and taking care of 12 non sailing guests.

It looks like there is just the one small crew cabin.

·
Registered
375 Posts
From a personal point of view, I totally agree. However, the individual owner nature of these charter fleets requires the ability to upsell the owner, when the initial 3-6 year period is over. I suspect they've factored that in somehow. It's the only way they sell the next gen of boats. The really big fleets often take the old hull on trade (although, I have to assume you could do better yourself, just like trading in a car).
That begs the question, what do they do with the trade ins?

I guess if you could buy one cheap enough it might be worth re-configuring the interior to make it more practical for a couple...

Gotta, say, the head right by the bed is really off-putting.

·
Master Mariner
8,256 Posts
Sitting in the Tobago Cays National Marine Sanctuary last week during the Easter charter season there were around 45 catamarans and about 9 monohulls. Of the cats, perhaps half a dozen were privately owned and the rest were bareboats, some crewed and some not. Of the monohulls, 2 were bareboats and the rest private cruising boats.
I can't imagine anyone spending the money these days on a monohull for a bareboat charter fleet. I doubt they would work enough to pay their way.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Look at this boat as a cheap hotel. It can’t be about “sailing”, it’s a platform to be close to water sports and a place to crash. There is no provision for a dingy. It’s dependent upon “fixed”assets like water taxis and restaurants. I’m assuming that at the end of its life cycle, 5-10 years, it will be scrapped or sold cheaply to someone who doesn’t know better.

·
Super Moderator
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Here is Gadventures sailing page, which is one of the charterers listed in the article. Has a bunch of sample itinerarys, prices, maps, boats currently in service. I noticethey currently have boats in the 50 ft range already doing this sort of thing. Catamarans carrying up to 12 px and monos up to 8 px.

Note some of the prices. $1699 for 7 days sailing in Sri Lanka? You could sign me up for that, sounds like fun.

https://www.gadventures.com/travel-styles/cruising/sailing/sri-lanka/

·
Registered
21,681 Posts
Here is Gadventures sailing page, which is one of the charterers listed in the article. Has a bunch of sample itinerarys, prices, maps, boats currently in service. I noticethey currently have boats in the 50 ft range already doing this sort of thing. Catamarans carrying up to 12 px and monos up to 8 px.

Note some of the prices. $1699 for 7 days sailing in Sri Lanka? You could sign me up for that, sounds like fun.

https://www.gadventures.com/travel-styles/cruising/sailing/sri-lanka/
I’m was surprised to see it’s the same price in the BVIs. I looked that up, on your link, to see how it compared to rates I'm familiar with, in an area that is generally top dollar.

I didn’t look closely enough. Is this per room on one of those new gross boats? If you multiplied it by 4, 6 or 8 people/rooms, that would very high for a 40 ft boat. Presumably, this rate structure, where you buy a single bunk/room, could be done with any vessel.

Scratching head.

·
Super Moderator
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I beleive the price is per occupant, presumably based on double occupancy.

Yes, that works out to pretty good coin for the charterer. However, I think its pretty affordable for a 7 day crewed charter for a single or a double. Not every one has another couple or two to split the cost of a charter with.

Seems like a win for everybody. I dont think Gadventures is hurting as a business. I know several people that have done trips with them and been happy.

Their trips are not, nor are they intended to be luxurious, they are intended to be adventurous; trekking in the jungle, offroading in the desert etc.

They probably aren't trying to sell all that hard to the demographic that has the necessary skills and money for bareboat chartering.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
It's like a backpackers hostel.

Stay in a dormitory with 8 or 10 other backpackers for $20 per night.

Most people refuse this and pay $150 per night to have their own room in a Hilton.yes the backpacker pays more per rata but less overall. His week's vacation cost one night of yours.

I have stayed in a budget backpackers all over the world, and not just when I was young: my last 3 months I have stayed in a Backpackers (ok in a private room not a Dorm) in Bucharest, Nairobi, Kampala, and Victoria Falls. Nightly cost has been about $50, a saving 9f about $100 per night.

To me it's not a loss of privacy, but a gain of new friends. In a Hilton you go out to dinner and do your own thing. In a backpackers you go to the kitchen or common room and say "who wants to go out?". Every night it's new people, new places, new adventures.

These charter boats are the same: who needs their own cabin, just shove me in a bunk for 8 hours comatose... The rest of the time is sailing, snorkeling, beer drinking, beach walks, girls, and inventing coconut rum sundowners.

Yes you can do all that by yourself but it can be a hell of a lot of fun at 30% of the price with a dozen like-minded sexy drunks.

But for the Hilton mob to slag off the dormatory dwellers shows a great lack of understanding.

Mark

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I'm currently on a charter in the Exumas on a 50 foot Catamaran with my gal. After the Captain drops us off in Georgetown he immediately sets sail for Annapolis where he turns his boat into an AirB&B while he stays onboard. After a month in Annapolis he sails up to Newport and does the same thing for the rest of the summer. He even has a bachelorette party for ten girls already booked. :) After August he heads back to Annapolis and beginning of November heads back down to the Bahamas for the winter. It works out well for him.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts