SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Daysailor wannabe cruiser
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang I thought I'd post a successfull weekend on here. I finally got my first boat in October and I cleaned it up, did some interior spiffing and replaced the outboard. I've been getting my sea legs for a few months staying close to the marina always. This weekend I took the boat all the way across Tampa Bay to Apollo Beach, navigated an inlet, docked the boat at the marina, ate a cheeseburger, drank a beer, and made it home right around nightfall. I took sailing lessons last year on a lake and before I got the boat I'd never even been on salt water because I'm from Minnesota. So here's to all the nice people on Sailnet and other places I roamed around who answered a lot of dumb questions.

I also made it to the bar on Friday with the boat so I posted a picture of that too. That was also a first.

I also "touched bottom" for the first time in the inlet to Apollo Beach.

Attachments

·
Flotsam with attitude
29 Posts
Congratulations Ian - Makes a big difference actually 'going somewhere' doesn't it !

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Great trip! Congrats, nice photos too. By all appearances you had some pleasant company with you as well. It's always better to share the experience!:)

First of many, let's hope. Looking forward to your dispatches from the Horn.:D

·
Baybilly
74 Posts
Congrats Ian!

Thanks for sharing the experience. It gives me something to look forward to while chipping the ice of my rigging!

As to "touching bottom" -- you really should keep that private.

·
not Sully or Dandelion
195 Posts
Nice man. I looked at a chart it appears to be about 22miles round trip.

docked the boat at the marina, ate a cheeseburger, drank a beer
I hope you had a few cold ones on board for the return trip.

Sailing is a blast
Paul

·
Registered
295 Posts
Outstanding, Ian! Ain't sailin' great? And I like how you used your keel for a depth sounder;) . Keep these great posts coming.

Fair winds,

Pat

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Learned a couple things

Hey thanks for the responses. Megan was great company for on the trip. I had to take a picture of her smiling so I could remind her in the future that sailing all day is fun for her too.

We learned that we drink more beer when the wind dies and we have to motor. We almost ran out but I found a couple of tall PBRs in the bilge that I had been sitting there for a couple weeks.

I need longer docklines,

I need to get a depth sounder. This Ranger 22 has a modified keel from a previous owner that I think draws around 5'.

Spare batteries for the GPS.

Spare batteries for the boombox.

Follow the locals out of the channel. They must all favor one side for a reason.

The motor does really only burn .5 gallons/hr.

The trip total was about 22-24 miles. So if I leave earlier and don't have to stop for beer I can go 30 next time.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Nice post... :) Welcome to the club. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Congrats on your first journey. It's not easy to navigate the Apollo Beach inlet and depending on the crosswind these slips for patrons of the restsrant can be tricky as well. Here in Florida a depthsounder is a very important instrument (don't trust your charts of Tampa Bay!) and with 5 feet draft you arr by no means shallow. S nice trip for you in the future would be to go thru the Sunshine Bridge to the Manatee River. There is a nice anchorage at Desoto Point. Would be a nice weekend anchor out (not a daysail). Keep up the momentum and continue to built up your confidence.
Welcome to the group of non-armchair-sailors.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jealous here!

Does this first photo look familiar to you? That Apollo Beach kicked ass. Great place great people. Have you ever been over to the Tampa Sailing Squadron? You have to try one of their shindigs. Excellent food. I had a C&C there for a while. Way too short of a while unfortunately. Wished I still had it there for the winters. But all in the plan to get down there permanant like soon. Enjoy the weather for us suckers up here in the frozen tundra. Oh, yeah, throw a line overboard on your next trip and you can toss your own fresh Spanish Mackeral on the barby for dinner!

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next trip

Hey thanks for the encouragement Volks. That trip is on the short list. I was thinking that I could go over and spend a night at anchor at that Manatee river anchorage and then swing by Egmont on the way home depending on the conditions. I'm hoping to make that trip or over to Gulfport in two weekends from now.

Great pics Trecksail. I'll have to check out that sailing squadran I've heard they are very active.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
Congrats Ians, the first of many to come. It just keeps getting better.

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New boat! new destinations?

Ok so I found out that I love sailing on "Blue Bear" the Ranger 22. I can't say enough good things about the Ranger 22s. However, I wanted to get something a little bigger and more comfortable. I had a real hard time selling it at any price here in Tampa. So I posted it in the barter section of Craigs...

I ended up trading it for a motorcycle which I then was able to sell rather quickly. I hunted for few months to get a boat under 28'(slip size) that would fit my budget of <10k after upgrades and whatnot. I ended up with a '85 Cal 27. It is a great boat with a 1GM Yanmar and a nice, clean interior. The boat sails very well considering the older sails, which are on the list. So far I've replaced some of the standing, and most of the running rigging, had the motor tuned and stuff like that.

We took it up the Manatee River(Tampa Bay area) for the weekend. We stayed at a marina up there with nice facilities and electric for my little home depot AC unit.

We were thinking along the way how much we've learned about sailing and boats in the last year and a half so I thought I'd revive this old thread. These forums are great for newbies like us.

Here's some pics.

Attachments

·
19,489 Posts
Well done... I missed your first story, and glad to see you've gone to the next step, quite nicely indeed!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
What a difference a year makes

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Nice boat Ian. Congrats.

BTW - I don't know how the hell I missed your first story - but I'm stealing that for the BFS thread. Great stuff.

I do notice that the dude on the right in your pic looks a lot more chill than the dude on the left. Must be those PBR 40s.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts