SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
Being a Chesapeake Bay sailor I have never experienced an earthquake and never a tsunami, but my understanding of tsunamis is much like any large ocean wave breaking on the beach. In the open (read deep) ocean the wave energy extends down in the water but as the wave approaches shore the water depth becomes shallow and that energy has to go somewhere so it builds up high above the water and hence you have a breaking wave on the beach. The energy of a tsunami is much greater and hence makes a much taller wave breaking on the beach. And just like the normal surf wave breaking on the beach the water recedes just before the wave builds. So, if you want to get an understanding of a tsunami just shrink your perspective down and stand on the beach and watch the large ocean rollers building and breaking on the beach.

I don't think being anchored in 15' of water would have been sufficient to be safe from the effects of a tsunami, I think it would have taken off shore depths 150' + depth. But I am not an expert on this so I could be completely wrong.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.