SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
locally there are two anchors i am considering for a storm anchor.
they are both used, and about $200.
one is a long fluke danforth 3000, the other is a shorter fluke danforth 100#.
Is 70# plenty in a storm? I just do not want to down size based on not wanting to manually lift a 100# anchor...
boat weight max 20 ton, 40,000#. length 48.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
It is 4 am, it is blowing 50 knots, it is raining and pitch black. I can tell you now that one thing you are not going to say is "Wish we had a smaller anchor".

I had a 100lb CQR as a storm anchor on my 38 ft steel ketch. Only deployed it twice in 7 years. It was a total PITA to retrieve but I was thankful in the above situation.

·
Registered
23,452 Posts
Ummmmm, can I buy a vowel?

That's a hard answer. Heavier is better IMO. However, I don't consider a danforth to be a terribly good storm anchor as it may have trouble resetting, should you swing. Depends on the sea floor. YMMV

·
Master Mariner
8,968 Posts
With the improved holding power of the newest generation of anchors, it seems you could have a much more efficient and manageable storm anchor than either the 70# or 100# Danforths.
As mentioned above, it does make a great deal of difference where you might use the anchor, as well.
For me, I no longer carry a "storm anchor" as my #1 anchor, on all chain, does a great job holding the boat and we mostly deal with squalls passing through, where we rarely have time to set another anchor in advance. The other 5 anchors get progressively smaller, but in total far exceed the weight of any "storm" anchor I could physically deploy or stow.
Though I haven't yet (and I hope I never have to again) had to use the Rocna in a hurricane, I'm fairly certain it will do it's job, especially with the other 5 out there backing it up.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
it is possible you know to not be able to retrieve your anchor by going big mentality for long anchoring stays

we had a very very hard time retreiving a small plow anchor(oversized for my boat at the time) in mud here in an estuary in el salvador...

it took us around 4 days using tides, pangas, other boats and finally our engine for hours at a time to retrieve it

diving was useless as the water had no visibility and the anchor was completey sunk in

the tides and constant shifting bottom had covered the anchor completely and mud has incredible suction

so...be prepared to say goodbye to a huge anchor like that if you have to

if being the key word here

for a daily anchor I do not beleive bigger is always better

slightly oversize for your displacement works well

you need and anchor system that is easy deployable and retrievable and a good method to set the anchor whatever that maybe

big and unset is just as bad as having a too small anchor

and interestingly small anchors for short stays work better as they set in much faster and like I said before are easily retreivable...in an emergency fast retrievability is king

·
Master Mariner
8,968 Posts
newest generation? to me they all look like copys of old anchors...?
Perhaps you might be well served to do a bit of research on these "next generation" anchors. As a former schooner captain, also, I came back to cruising after operating OPB's for 30 years. Things have changed quite a bit.
The genuine CQR that was "the anchor" for thirty years, doesn't hold a candle (or our boat, in this case) like our Rocna. In 1.5 years of cruising the West Indies with the Rocna, it has only ONCE moved farther than it's own length after deploying, to set. We are cruising and on the pick at least 11 months a year, so we have deployed it a fair few times.
Perhaps my signature below, may be of interest to you. It is the most important piece of advice I have ever been given.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
jajaja

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Danforth versus Danforth? I'd choose a Manson Supreme every time.

We currently have an 60# Manson Supreme on 150' of chain and an 44# Bruce on 30' chain (plus rode). They both fit extremely well on the bow. The next size Manson Supreme wouldn't fit. If we didn't do a lot of Bahama mooring, I'd leave the Bruce at home.

We also have a Fortress FX-125 strapped to the bow for use as a storm anchor. Since it's aluminum, the FX-125 weighs more like 80 or 90 pounds, and it comes apart for storage below. We really use it for longer-term stays. This summer, I'll be taking it apart and storing it below again. We last used it when Sandy passed by the the protected cove and gave us 60 mph winds for a couple dozen hours.

The Manson is all we need, but it's tough to get rid of a big aluminum that stores so easily, and a lighter Bruce that fits perfectly.

We also have a bunch of new, 100# Chinese short-fluke Danforth-style anchors that dis-assemble. I ought to put them on eBay. It's time to get rid of them.

Regards,
Brad

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,569 Posts
One thing about the new anchors, they tend to be much heavier for an equal holding power. That said, they seem to set and retrieve easier.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Soooo, the mason is a ronca copy?
As someone who has a patent, I felt the same way and would have gone with Rocna. But Rocna went all China on us with the manufacturing, and cut back on the metallurgy. To me that's like abandoning the product, I'm not putting my life behind that product.

The Mansom Supreme is amazing.

I sold our 60# CQR. Someone gave me $200 for it. I'm surprised there's a willing market for older tech anchors.

No affiliation except happy customer.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
23,452 Posts
One thing about the new anchors, they tend to be much heavier for an equal holding power.......
I wonder if that would be better stated as, next gen manufacturers recommend heavier anchors, over traditional designs, for the same vessel displacement.

Reactions: capta

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
One thing about the new anchors, they tend to be much heavier for an equal holding power. That said, they seem to set and retrieve easier.
I think the opposite may be true. I think the penetration depth of the Manson Supreme is much deeper than older tech anchors. Our Bruce would always be visible by mask and fins. Our CQR would plow the bottom. But our Manson Supreme disappears into the bottom. Depth is key.

Wonder if there's a Mainesail-style pull test on this.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
23,452 Posts
Holding power itself is just so hard to scientifically test. You need a controlled environment to be valid and that's very difficult. Even setting two different anchors, just a few feet apart could have different sea bed conditions. Just like when we all pull up and reset and the second try works fine.

Then given designs may hold better or worse in different conditions, so testing holding power in mud may be very different from hard sand.

In the end, I'm convinced the next-gen are the best anchors available. However, its interesting that they do recommend heavier versions of their anchors for the same displacement.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
locally there are two anchors i am considering for a storm anchor.
they are both used, and about $200.
one is a long fluke danforth 3000, the other is a shorter fluke danforth 100#.
Is 70# plenty in a storm? I just do not want to down size based on not wanting to manually lift a 100# anchor...
boat weight max 20 ton, 40,000#. length 48.
My experience was with various size Danforths. Had one on the boat below that was about all I could do to pull up, and I was in my late 20's at the time.

One night, at Point Reyes, California, I thought the flying bridge was going to be ripped off the boat, the anchor line looked and vibrated like a guitar string.

On our sailboat we also had a Danforth, never dragged either one. all that being said, it sounds like the "new generation" anchors are a lot better. How much is your boat/life worth? :D

Paul T

Attachments

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
Get a 30KG Bruce and that is all the anchor you will ever need but have it on a chain only rig. Danforth ...... I would put that next to the boat without anything on it to get rid of the thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts