SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help with a guess on what replacement bulb I might need for the original eqpt. 1976 steaming light on my Pearson 26?

I discovered during my vessel safety check yesterday that its out & would like to try to have the likely suspect(s) replacement bulb(s) with me when I manage to get a bosun's chair & go up there.

I may just decide to replace the fixture w/ a new one given its age but that'll involve more work (including likely drilling & pop riveting the new light) and the risk of losing the wiring in the mast if I'm not real careful & lucky, so I may just KISS and replace to the bulb & see if that works.

Thanks,
Jon

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
A photo of the fixture might help...since some one may recognize it...otherwise, you'll probably have to yank the bulb and get a replacement...making two trips up the stick.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A photo of the fixture might help...since some one may recognize it...otherwise, you'll probably have to yank the bulb and get a replacement...making two trips up the stick.
exactly my fear ... I'll see if I can find a pic somewhere or take one, probably have to do the latter.

Jon

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not to hijack the thread here but I have found that a supply of hemostats of various sizes are great for keeping wires and lines from being lost inside the mast. Just clamp them on before you disconnect anything. For larger wires, lines and wire rope I use a set of small needle nose vice grips padded with leather and wrapped with rigging tape.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to hijack the thread here but I have found that a supply of hemostats of various sizes are great for keeping wires and lines from being lost inside the mast. Just clamp them on before you disconnect anything. For larger wires, lines and wire rope I use a set of small needle nose vice grips padded with leather and wrapped with rigging tape.

Thanks, those are great suggestions and I do have a supply of large & small hemos and a needle nose V.Grip, so I'll be sure to remember to bring them.:cool:

Jon

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK .... I got some pix this morning -- anyone recognize this light & have a guess as to what bulb it might take?

Thanks for all your help, at worst I'll make 2 trips up there, one to ID it and one to replace it after buying one, but if I can save a trip that's great.

Jon

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I think it is a Perko

<table width="98%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="3">Masthead light 1331

</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="190" align="left">

Mfr. Perko

</td> <td valign="top" align="left"> $39.91
  • Clear Lens, Complete with 12 Volt Bulb
  • Chrome Plated Zinc Alloy with Black Plastic Base
  • Certified For Use on Sail or Power Driven Vessels Under 12 Meters (39.4 ft.) in Length
  • Vertical Surface Mount
  • 3 M
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
BTW, it might be a good idea to replace the fixture if you sail on salt water... since zinc fixtures tend to not be a good idea on salt water boats. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, it might be a good idea to replace the fixture if you sail on salt water... since zinc fixtures tend to not be a good idea on salt water boats. :)

yeah, if I did I would... but the boat's been on the Potomac R. (fresh water) for most of its life. If it looks bad when I'm up there I'll get a new one. I'm sure that I save a huge % of the maint. & repair costs of a salt water boat by being where we are.

·
Ticon 30
162 Posts
My 1975 has a Perko.
Looks the same as the one you have in the pictures.
Looked on the info for the bulb I purchased at West Marine but I could not find it. I just took in the old bulb and thay matched it.
Good Luck

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 1975 has a Perko.
Looks the same as the one you have in the pictures.
Looked on the info for the bulb I purchased at West Marine but I could not find it. I just took in the old bulb and thay matched it.
Good Luck
Thanks... we think we found a likely replacement at WM yesterday so I have one to take up with me in case it is the one.

Can you help me out on the replacement procedure? How did you get to the bulb to remove/replace?

Did you have to remove the fixture by unscrewing what look like the 2 screws (machine screws, I assume?) going into the mast?

Then what?

There's a 2-part Perko replacement lens, too, that I bought in case/ in hope it's the right one, thinking that after 33 years up there a new lens might also be something to consider.

I'm just trying to think ahead, like what if the screws are corroded in place? May have to either try to help them out with something like Pb Blaster, or even drill them out and replace with new screws ... ?

Thanks,
Jon

·
Ticon 30
162 Posts
Now you are going to make me think, which is always scary.
I believe if you take out one of the screws, you can get the lens out and replace the bulb. I also replaced the lens when I did it.
Good luck,
David

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now you are going to make me think, which is always scary.
I believe if you take out one of the screws, you can get the lens out and replace the bulb. I also replaced the lens when I did it.
Good luck,
David

David,

Thanks... that makes sense, maybe get the top screw out, remove the top to be able to get the lens out & get to the bulb... I'll report back assuming I don't get stuck up the mast ... ;):cool::eek:

Jon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts